illegal operation

Old 03-04-01, 12:23 PM
Terry Grant
Visiting Guest
While online, we are suddenly getting "has performed illegal operation and will be shut down" messages from what looks like a variety of sources including Rnapp, Napster, and Explorer. If we click okay, the particular program shuts down and the icons from the lower right disappear. If we just move it out of the way, sometimes we can go on. Any ideas? Thank you, thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-01, 08:30 AM
What operating system do you have, and version of explorer. I have look for info on the microsoft site, they mention that some illegal operations relating to internet explorer can be solved by installing their updates and/or service parks, go to the microsoft update site and see what updates are available that you may not already have. Because features of the internet explorer are in some ways intertwined with the operating system specially if it is windows 98 or me, it could effect other software as well.

How often deos this occur ? I have come across this occassionally myself, I keep up on all the latest updates, and I just live with it, as it doesn't occur very often, and I usually redo the system about 3 times a year anyway.

Old 03-05-01, 08:40 AM
Terry Grant
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input. Have Win 98, which we reinstalled yesterday. Knock on wood, we have not had a repeat of the problem since. Appreciate your reply.

Old 03-10-01, 10:25 PM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
dkerr;

Here we go again. I can't believe anyone has the patience to rebuild their PC 3 times a year. I have not re-built a PC since I quit using Win 1.1. (I skipped WIN95 as nothing better than a beta test OS). I use NT4 on one and WIN98 on another. I installed NT4 about 4 years ago, and 98 almost 2 years ago. NT4 is the most stable and the most secure, but at the moment I get a fatal exception on 98 about once every 3 or 4 months.

I use scheduler to run the following weekly:

Monday: Disk Cleanup
Tuesday: Scan Disc
Wednesday: Defrag
Thursday: Virus Scan
Saturday: Windows Critical Update

I often have problems while playing Pinochle at Yahoo, but am convinced it is not my P.C. (But, it may yet be Java or VM)

God loves a patient person.

Marshall Buttrey

Search this Thread