Windows XP discontinued

Old 04-24-14, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I've heard not good things about 8...but I guess most of those issues will be fixed with 8.2...whenever they release it?

7 is on my wifes PC and it seems the functionality is pretty good, w/o too many bells and whistles which I won't use? But I guess you can turn a lot of that junk off? I use mine purely for surfing and sometimes downloading pics or vids from my cameras.

Well, guess it will come down to price and availability.

I have to tell you...I thought that Dell was out of the business til I started looking for a new machine. Maybe I'm thinking of Gateway?

Last edited by Gunguy45; 04-24-14 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-14, 07:37 PM
Gateway I guess is o.k. but is now owned by Acer from what I heard a few years back. Vic I really think you have a great idea why not reuse the old case and buy a new motherboard? I personally like MSI and would buy the motherboard new. MSI has a three year warranty on their boards and is the board that is on my office desktop. I have had it running now for I guess around four years now with no issues at all. Mine has integrated graphics and HDMI and an AMD processor.

You can usually get a processor and board package relatively cheaply. Might need a few case modifications possibly but it will save you a whole lot of money and give you a much better computer.

Old 04-24-14, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The biggest issue people have with 8 and 8.1 is that nothing is where they left it in XP/Vista/7, and the tablet/touchscreen related 'gesture' features make working with a keyboard/mouse hell. It is a disastrous failure of an OS reminiscent of Vista, and the fact that many things are reverting back to the 7 style - including the familiar Start menu (as opposed to 8.1's "practical joke" start button that puts you back to the Metro screen) - in the next Service Pack update just further shows Microsoft cowering with its tail between its legs.

Two years after its launch, 8/8.1's market share is an abysmal 10%. while 7 and XP hold a combined 75%. It took 7 less than four months to hit that mark (and it probably would have been faster had people not been leery about installing it because of Vista's disastrous launch). Hell, 8 didn't even surpass Vista's dwindling market share until earlier this year - and that's mainly because of people who dumped Vista and went to 7, not 8.. It's keeping with the long standing pattern of Microsoft OS's - win one, suck one.

Old 04-24-14, 10:14 PM
I happen to agree with you Matt and a moderator here did show market share statistics. Many people too who have had Vista have even said that Vista was better than 8 and Vista in my opinion wasn't very good at all it was mainly a power hog from everything I heard and had errors from time to time.

A link to the market share report as of March is here Operating system market share . It clearly points out as you said that Windows 7 is way ahead as far as market share is concerned.

Old 04-25-14, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My desktop has Win7 and my laptop has Win8. IMO 7 is a lot better ..... but it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks I've only dealt with tigerdirect a few times but was always satisfied with price/quality.

Old 04-25-14, 04:09 AM
If XP works today then XP will work tomorrow. If a piece of XP software works today then it will work tomorrow. Provided Microsoft doesn't "brick" every machine that's using XP, nothing should change. (If they do send an "update" that turns all those machine into bricks, the lawsuits would bankrupt them.) As XP gets older, machines that run it will be a less important target for the morons who produce viruses and malware. There is no infamy in destroying something about which no one cares.

That said, what is happening is the lack of development for products such as Google Chromecast. Other than that it is business as usual with XP.

Old 04-25-14, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Somewhat reassuring, Rick. I am poised at this point with a 500 Gb external hard drive to mirror my computer, and purchase W7 to replace XP, but it is sort of like, do I really want to pull the plug on Grandma?? Once the plug is pulled, there is no going back. Maybe I'll mirror the HD and keep XP, along with all the AV, Malware, etc that will hopefully keep it safe. I, too, believe the OS is the last line of defense, as the other software is designed to keep it up and running. I believe, at this point, I would almost opt to go to Apple than to suck up to W8. I use my Ipad for much more than I ever thought I would, once I learned how to use it. Time will tell, I guess.

Old 04-25-14, 08:28 AM
I happen to agree that XP will continue to work but it will eventually be vulnerable to attack as no one will want to protect the OS anymore. That certainly happened with Windows 98 and it will eventually happen to Windows XP too.

As to Apple products being better well that is debatable as just recently in the news there was a report about attacks on the Apple OS for desktops so Apple products have been hacked too you just don't always hear about it. I personally like the way Windows handles files better and wouldn't even half way understand an Apple product.

I could certainly get used to it though and don't really have any loyalty to Microsoft and would like to see the company divided four ways. With all four companies making an OS and more openness so there would be more competition. More competition too would make for a much better product.

Old 04-25-14, 09:56 AM
Lol why not buy one of those cheapo deals at future shop or best buy? Even those will be about 100 times better than your old machine.

Old 04-25-14, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
I was just looking at OS percentages. Pretty odd numbers. XP went from about 20% to around 10%. Looks like 8 picked up their changes and went from around 6% to almost 15% Everyone else has stayed pretty much the same [email protected]%, [email protected]% and [email protected]%, with the rest being NT, Vista and mobiles. Thats from a different source than previously linked.

As to the cheapo deals...I really don't consider almost $400 very cheap, esp when all I need is the main box or the guts to fit mine. I have several cheapo keyboards and mice laying around already.

Looking at mine, I have an ASUS A7V8X-LA mobo with an Athlon 2800. Guess it's a micro ATX form factor. It's got an AGP slot and 3 PCI full height slots. Since I believe AGP is antiquated, guess I'll need a new video card no matter what. I use the S-video out on my card now to feed the garage TV sometimes.

Boy, things have gotten confusing since the days of IBM and Zenith 286 PCs...lol.

I may go talk to the computer places around here and see if they can either build me one to my specs, using some of my parts (case, P/S one drive, etc), or what they can do from scratch. Least then I'll have some sort of local warranty.

I know XP will continue to work, but this machine is just slow slow slow, too many things added on over the years I guess. Done all the typical clean-ups to start menu and drives...but still slow. Works fine and stable. Maybe due somewhat to extra protections I added since MSSE isn't being updated anymore? Or is it? I know OS support ended.

Old 04-25-14, 11:45 AM
Boy, things have gotten confusing....

I may go talk to the computer places around here and see if they can either build me one.....

My son had a guy build this for me, dropped it off last night. Windows 7 64 bit, 8MB RAM, forget how big a HD and a new power supply. Odd duck compared to my other Dell machines.... 8200 and 4550.

This one takes PCI cards and my older ones use AGP or something like that, not sure they'll work. LOTS of reading to do before I even plug it in.

Old 04-25-14, 11:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

XP is a good O/S, in my opinion. Years of usage has become very user friendly and familiar to all of us whom has the operating system. Like an old friend, difficult to lose and/or knowing all to soon we will lose...

Bottom line. We all have to change and adapt to the new market trends and new technology. The young set of users want the internet on mobile devices, etc. No longer wanting desktops with a huge monitor and keyboards nor soon even laptops. And the manufacturers of computers and/or operating systems have to supply what the vast majority of the public wants and will buy.

Resistance to change is useless......imo. Our desktops with old operating systems, low RAM and small hard drives, outdated boards and all the rest etc. will very soon be rendering present old computers we use nothing more than huge paper weights. Web sites now a days have heavy content which requires power, etc. Add in dam hackers and malicious web sites making old systems easy targets, we all lose.

Change isn't all that difficult once we, you and myself included, accepts it. Learning the newer systems is simply a matter of progressively moving forward progress or becoming outdated. If we want to remain on line, we have no real choice. Do we? I don't see how. Suggestions welcomed.

Move forward. Dump our old ways and move forward. The new O/S windows isn't all that difficult to learn nor master. I did it and you can too!... Using windows 7 now. Not all that bad in my opinion and for what we due daily. It's really fast too. Ignore what some may say.

Suggestion: Might find a new computer within price ranges with what is wanted on it buying directly from the brands web site. (???) Build your own online....

Old 04-25-14, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Started to ask a question of the Pros...and realized I may have already dragged this thread way off course. New thread being started.

Old 04-25-14, 05:22 PM
So with windows 8 gaining usage, wouldn't the hackers concentrate on that OS?

Old 04-26-14, 04:55 AM
That's my point, DMCman. New vulnerabilities that may be discovered in XP won't be exploited as fast as they would have been seven or eight years ago. Plus, it's not as if Avast, Norton and the others are going to shut off their anti-virus apps tomorrow. I know of a whole lot of companies that are still using XP.

This reminds me of the debate about Y2K -- a catastrophe that never materialized. Much ado about nothing.

Between my job, home and hobby ... lessee ... Win8. Win7. Win XP. Win Server 2003, 2008, and 2012. Android 2.x and 4.x. IOs 7.x. Two proprietary iterations of Linux on specialty servers. And one machine running DOS 6.x so it can service legacy equipment.

Old 04-26-14, 08:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Good question DMC...

So with windows 8 gaining usage, wouldn't the hackers concentrate on that OS?
Would seem to make logical sense. However, still of interest to myself, I called an acquaintance I know whom is related to an insider at MS. Hackers and malicious web sites etc will not stop attempts to exploit XP users. Reason is, it will be an easier target since nobody is watching.

Without patches, updates and all the rest, to those whom want to exploit the XP OS, it's like an occupied house with residents gone whom left house with opened doors and windows with no security system in a not so well policed area nor neighbors watching etc...

Official suggestion offered to me. Keep the computer but disconnect it from the internet. Meaning, unplug it so it cannot be used online. But still use it as it has been but never online again...:NO NO NO: Makes sense.??? A usable machine for all other purposes and one with huge hard drive for storage only....

Old 04-30-14, 07:35 PM
A few observations:

1. In the short term, hackers WILL exploit XP, because ~20% of PC's connected to the Internet still run that 12+ year old OS. Future Patch Tuesday's will show them exactly WHAT to exploit. How? Simple...Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP are based on the same code. Server 2003 will still be patched through the Patch Tuesday in July 2015. SO...for the next 15 months, hackers will be able to examine the patches for Server 2003, determine what vulnerabilities are being patched, and test to see if XP is vulnerable to the same thing (again, same code base). If XP is vulnerable, they have an easy exploit.

2. Online Banking will soon become problematic on XP, at least with Internet Explorer (keep in mind IE is one of the MAJOR reasons a lot of businesses are stuck with XP). Many banks be dropping support for their Internet Banking products on Internet Explorer 8 on June 26th (any bank who utilizes Netteller, a Jack Henry product). IE9-11 won't run on XP. Doesn't mean it will be broken on June 27th, but compatibility problems will eventually occur as these banking products are built to run on newer browsers. Of course, for now alternate browsers are the workaround to this.

3. Completely different, but seen earlier in this thread...You CAN run Netflix on a Linux box. I have two that I do so with. Takes some work, but the hard work has been put into some packages that are easily installed. Basically. Install Wine, then use that to run Firefox for Windows + Silverlight. Magic happens...it works...beautifully. I've used it for about a year, and movies play smoother on my Linux box than they do on my Roku. Here's a link to one of several tutorials you'll find if you Google "Run Netflix on Linux": How to install Netflix on Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora - Nam Huy Linux

4. You can get a GOOD machine running Windows 7 cheap if you look around and are OK with "off lease" or "refurbished". I picked up an off lease HP with Duo Core 2.8Ghz processor, 4Gb RAM, 1Tb hard drive, and Win7 Pro for $250 off overstock.com a couple of weeks ago. Good little machine. Overstock was NOT somewhere I had in mind to buy from when I started looking, but they had a good deal, so I went for it.