Windows XP discontinued

Old 03-13-14, 12:25 PM
Windows XP discontinued

I just got a e-mail message stating that my computer's Windows XP is being discontinued next month.

If this is true,what are my best options?

My computer is 10 yrs. old and runs just fine. Is there other option to buying a replacement computer for twice the $340 i paid years ago?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-14, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
There's another thread going on about this that you might want to read. Seems they're extending XP for another year. Who sent you the email?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...ws-xp-eol.html

Old 03-13-14, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Don't sweat it. You're computer won't explode when Microsoft stops supporting XP. They just will no longer support it with updates. I've got an old computer running 95 that runs nothing but a pattern program for an old sewing machine. It's not hooked to the Internet so there is no fear of viruses and it continues to run and run and run...

Old 03-13-14, 01:52 PM
Well if you wanted to you could always buy a used computer even one that had its hard drive removed or wiped. There are plenty of good used computers out there that only need windows 7 replaced. PcWorld had a link to a free download of a copy of Windows 7 and all you would need is the COA number which would also tell you its version that had been installed.

Another alternative would be to download Linux and the type of Linux I use is PCLinuxOs here is a link to their home page So cool ice cubes are jealous PCLinuxOS . It is the best Linux out there because it is a rolling Distro meaning you only have to download updates and not make a new disk each time there is a major upgrade. Several words of caution though about Linux if you have a fairly new printer then it probably will not work with Linux. Also if you use dial up internet forget about your internal modem being recognized. Only an external modem will work.

Some software will also not work and also if you use Netflix then I advise you to look elsewhere as Netflix will not work with Linux as you can't install Silverlight. That may change however in time as new internet standards such as HTML5 are around the block and the Linux community as a whole is working to try to get Netflix to work.

Pilot Dane though is right the computer will not just blow up it just will no longer receive updates from Microsoft. So after a while it will be vulnerable without any updates including those that Microsoft has already issued. Take a look though at the thread Shadeladie linked to as Jersey Matt has a solution there about updates and storing them in case Microsoft decides to not even allow for even archived updates as a download. Take a look at thread number 32 that Jersey Matt posted it has really helpful information.

Old 03-13-14, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Also if you use dial up internet forget about your internal modem being recognized. Only an external modem will work.
Used serial modems use to be cheap as dirt on Ebay. Most I ever spent was $7 or $8. The nice thing the modem is built into the support is built into the kernel so no drivers.
if you have a fairly new printer then it probably will not work with Linux.
But you can usually get a year or two old one new on close out sale at reduced price that will work with Linux and probably do everything the newer one does. Just get a major manufacturer.
Some software will also not work
But there is usually a Linux equivalent that works just as well and of course it will be free. Then too many Windows programs can be run in Wine. If you have a full version of XP you could even run it under Linux in VirtualBox.

Old 03-13-14, 03:48 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered to my query.

I see i have some decisions to make soon

Old 03-13-14, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Seems they're extending XP for another year.
No they're not. The only ones who get more time are huge companies who run the Embedded platform on kiosks, ATM's, POS systems, etc.

End users (read: anyone who uses any version of XP on an actual computer) will have no update/patch support whatsoever after April 8 2014.

The XP version of Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus will continue to receive definition updates until July of next year.

Old 03-13-14, 07:27 PM
I decided 8 yrs was enough for my computer, although like you my XP machine is still working fine. Found out my machine won't even work with Windows 8.1, that's how archaic it is at 8 yrs old. Will take it but be virtually worthless if i tried it.
So I am getting a new machine. The tower is here already, waiting for the monitior and speaker to show up later.
Funny how desktops are going the way of the buggywhip. Who knows, if I get 8 years out of this one, they might not even make a desktop! Everyone wants all in ones or just uses phones or tablets or laptops. I kinda like knowing where my computer is....

Old 03-13-14, 11:00 PM
GillyWI I wouldn't give up on the old desktop at least not entirely if you still like it then keep some of your files on it or turn it into a Linux desktop. Please try the link I have posted if you think you might want to try Linux. As far as desktops going away I really don't see that happening at least not too soon. Tablets and even my laptop I am using right now to post have their place but as a replacement no at least not yet. I agree with you too I like knowing where my laptop is too and it is rare it ever leaves my house.

My last two desktops I bought I built myself, one is my office desktop and the other is my living room desktop I use for Netflix and other video. I did that so I knew exactly what was going into my desktops and for the first one I hadn't done that before and wanted to give it a try. I like the cases better in the build yourself desktops as I feel they allow for more air circulation although some of the major brands are improving somewhat in that area.

Old 03-14-14, 08:53 AM
I was shocked when i got the mail notice from the Windows site.

I have a Dell dim E310,P4,640(3.20ghz,2 MB,HT Its 10 yrs. old and a
has worked well for my use.

I'm not computer savvy, and will probably have a family member,or friend help
me as it looks a new computer is the answer.

Thanks to all for your support and help.

Old 03-14-14, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
and will probably have a family member,or friend help
me as it looks a new computer is the answer.
If you had always used Texaco gasoline in your car and Texaco stopped selling gasoline you wouldn't buy a new car. You'd find a new brand of gasoline.

Windows is NOT your computer. Your computer does not need to be replaced. Despite the TV commercials Windows is not a PC. It is an operating system that runs on hardware called a PC (Personal Computer). What you need to do is find a satisfactory operating system for your computer not buy a new computer.

Old 03-14-14, 09:14 AM
That makes sense...............Any suggestions?

Old 03-14-14, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If you had always used Texaco gasoline in your car and Texaco stopped selling gasoline you wouldn't buy a new car. You'd find a new brand of gasoline.

Windows is NOT your computer. Your computer does not need to be replaced. Despite the TV commercials Windows is not a PC. It is an operating system that runs on hardware called a PC (Personal Computer). What you need to do is find a satisfactory operating system for your computer not buy a new computer.
Yeah except that's a rotten analogy..

When you switch brands of gasoline there is absolutely nothing that you have to do differently, because your gas pedal still makes the car go, the brake still makes it stop, the left stalk controls the blinkers, etc.

A better analogy is that if Texaco stops selling gas you have to go to another brand, but when you put that other brand in, it makes the brake pedal turn on the left blinker, the gas pedal turns on the wipers, the window down button makes it go, and the map light switch makes it stop. So you have to UN-learn everything you know, then RE-learn to do it the way this other brand makes it work.

So sometimes yeah, it's easier to just buy something else that still works the way you have always done it.

I'm also curious about this "email".. Was it an actual email or was it the little box that popped up saying your support was ending?

Old 03-14-14, 12:51 PM
Windows XP end of support - Microsoft Windows

This is the message i got

Old 03-14-14, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Just another way of bribing manufacturers to install Windows on their computer. MS to computer manufacturer: "Use Windows as OS and we will make sure the OS will be obsolete in a couple of years so you can sell another computer to the customer ".

Last edited by ray2047; 03-14-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 02:10 PM
ray2047

Not that anyone would care (LOL) what I think, but I do think that is a very good explanation.

Old 03-14-14, 03:03 PM
....Thats why i keep coming to this Forum.

All good info for newbies like me. Much appreciation to all who took the time to reply to my plea.

Old 03-23-14, 07:30 AM
So, we would download Linux. Then what do we do with XP?

Also, would MSE still work as my antivirus?

And iTunes would still work?

Old 03-23-14, 10:10 AM
That ad really was a doozy. XP support ending, and "we're here to help". Oh, gee, where is the government when you need them the most? That's THEIR motto! That was an ad to sell you a computer with W8 on it. It is about the only way Microsoft can pawn the new OS.

Old 03-23-14, 12:01 PM
I agree that ad was really nothing but a come on buy 8 type of ad. Linux is a good substitute in that it is free but some things will definitely not work and one of those is anti-virus. very few anti-virus programs are written for Linux and to some that is a concern as while very rare I have heard of viruses on Linux but none that most of the Linux community admits too. The very worst though that I had heard about years ago were nothing like what happens to Windows. As for I-Tunes you can run that in Wine in Linux.

Old 03-23-14, 12:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Not that anyone would care (LOL) what I think
LMAO. Count me in on that one too....

BTW #1: Who really does care what I think anyway...
Never Mind. Don't answer that question.
Shouldn't ask questions I already have the answers to....HA HA HA.

Interesting question.
I got that message also. NOT in an email...:NO NO NO:...message included into the latest/last update. No more support! Okay. Does that make it an import consideration running what MS claims is an outdated O/S??? Or just another-----it's no BFD.......

Seriously:

Without future updates and patches, is windows XP O/S still or more venerable to new viruses, malware and other sorts of on-line corruptions?

If you have an Internet security and virus protection, won't having that protection protect the PC and personal info, etc. ????????

BTW #2

A better analogy is that if Texaco stops selling gas you have to go to another brand, but when you put that other brand in, it makes the brake pedal turn on the left blinker, the gas pedal turns on the wipers, the window down button makes it go, and the map light switch makes it stop.
LMAO. Good One...
You must have been driving my bucket of nuts and bolts on wheels...

I do have some of the above mentioned conditions...

And I don't even use Texaco gasoline anyway.

Old 03-23-14, 08:13 PM
Without future updates and patches, is windows XP O/S still or more venerable to new viruses, malware and other sorts of on-line corruptions?

If you have an Internet security and virus protection, won't having that protection protect the PC and personal info, etc. ????????
In answer to your questions Sharp Advice yes without updates from Microsoft there will be more vulnerabilities than there would be if you didn't do updates. Nothing though that you can do about that and to use another example if you had a model T Ford you wouldn't expect them to honor a warranty on it now. The same holds true with Microsoft no matter what feelings we might have about them.

As to anti-virus paid or free no anti-virus manufacturer after a while will want to give updates for their product to an os that essentially is dead. Well not dead dead no you can still install it and no one will care not even Microsoft but without updates it might as well be dead. A shame too as I really like Windows XP but as the saying goes all good things eventually come to an end.

Old 03-24-14, 03:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
to use another example if you had a model T Ford
But you can still find parts for a Model T If I understand correctly, virus programs for XP won't update anymore I'd rather have XP than the Win8 on my new laptop

Old 03-24-14, 08:50 AM
Here is what the lady over at Windows Secrets had to say:

As stated above, seriously reconsider whether to use an XP system for connecting to the Internet. It's especially important to avoid any sort of sensitive online transactions such as online banking and purchases.

Damn, nothing I like better than sitting in my pjs spending money on the internet.

As to anti-virus, paid or free, no anti-virus manufacturer after a while will want to give updates for their product to an os that essentially is dead.
I think you're right there.

Old 03-24-14, 12:29 PM
Since the connection to the banking computers is over a secured link and SSL (secure socket layer) is pretty secure there should still be minimal problems with on-line banking. It is NOT the OS that provides the security in this instance.

Old 03-25-14, 01:29 AM

Since the connection to the banking computers is over a secured link and SSL (secure socket layer) is pretty secure there should still be minimal problems with on-line banking. It is NOT the OS that provides the security in this instance.
Furd you are quite right it is not really the os that is offering the security. However as the os goes so does the browser after a while the same way that anti-virus program eventually will go. Mozilla right now says that they will still update Firefox on Windows XP computers for the foreseeable future but the question is exactly how long is that. They also by the way said the same thing about Windows 98 which really wasn't bad I liked it but nobody supports it any longer.

But you can still find parts for a Model T If I understand correctly, virus programs for XP won't update anymore I'd rather have XP than the Win8 on my new laptop
marksr I really don't blame you there were many mistakes that Microsoft made with Windows 8 and so many flaws that I have heard of that I would never even think of having it on my computer. Don't get me wrong though I don't entirely hate Windows 8 some of the ideas behind the os are good but like many things with them they rushed it out the door before enough consumer feedback was given. The same thing happened with Vista but Windows 7 is better and you can always use that instead of Windows 8.

If enough people requested Windows 7 instead and said they wouldn't buy a computer otherwise from brand X then Microsoft would definitely get the message finally. In my own personal opinion I think next to Windows XP that Windows 7 was one of Microsoft's better os's.

Old 03-25-14, 10:58 AM

That may be but what if a key-logger or whatever they're called gets into your computer, wouldn't that be just as bad?

Old 03-25-14, 11:17 AM
Nothing is 100% safe. Why would anyone pick out YOUR computer to surreptitiously install a key logger? I'm not saying it couldn't happen but the likelihood is pretty low and it has nothing to do with the OS.

Old 03-25-14, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
As stated above, seriously reconsider whether to use an XP system for connecting to the Internet. It's especially important to avoid any sort of sensitive online transactions such as online banking and purchases.
Probably being paid by Microsoft to write that. The internet from what I have read is full of Microsoft shills trying to scare people in the buying the latest version of Windows intentionally written to obsolete existing hardware not because it had to be written that way but because it makes money for their hardware partners including the computer companies.

Old 03-25-14, 01:18 PM
I don't agree Ray I doubt that person was paid and even if she was it just makes good sense especially on a Windows computer because they really rely on an anti-virus being available. On Linux no there are Linux scares every once in a while about a Linux virus. Very few of those though compared to the numerous alerts that Windows has had over the years whether it be their current os or their very oldest.

Old 03-25-14, 02:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Am I the only one here who uses a VPN? BTW key loggers can be installed by malicious downloads or web sites & that would make it random.

Old 03-26-14, 07:17 AM
Probably being paid by Microsoft to write that.
I don't think so but who knows.

Susan Bradley | Windows Secrets

Old 03-26-14, 10:18 AM
What does a VPN have to do with anything? It certainly won't keep you from catching something from a drive-by..

Old 03-26-14, 01:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I never said that a VPN would stop a drive by. I use other things for that, MJ Registry Watcher to lock the registry & noscript in Firefox to prevent malicious scripts.

Old 04-24-14, 12:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

For my own knowledge base and those still having an interest in this topic. I too have one computer contraption......still running windows XP, I inquired into the possible negatives of continuing it's usage.

No anti-virus software company I called, is planning to discontinue anti-virus updates nor any Internet security updates. Called several times and not once was the answer different. Same as Norton said. Updates will continue for the foreseeable future. No specific date ever mentioned by any of them.

In so many words and boiled down to briefly this, what they did say was proceed at your own peril... Additionally, XP does not have the OS to operate a wide variety of internet capable devices. Each stated the current trend is no longer large sales numbers of desktops with keyboards. As we all have come accustom to. Laptop sales are slowly declining and fading away too. Nice way of saying dying same likely death as desktops for non business usage and household usages... Mobile is the new trend and likely to continue for years to come.

That's the outcome I got. My story and I am sticking with it... Make your own calls and decisions to continue to use the great, in my opinion, XP operating system. All good things due come to an end someday. Question now is on what day????...

Old 04-24-14, 02:26 PM
Question now is on what day????
Good question Sharp Advice no one knows for sure exactly how long XP might have support from the anti-virus people. As far as the anti-virus people are concerned they don't care all that much until their customers start complaining that their anti-virus doesn't work anymore with XP. Once they hear too many complaints then they will pull the plug too.

Old 04-24-14, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, one thing that won't be getting updated is Google Chrome apparently. And FF will prob discontinue it down the road, though they haven't said when.

I'm having a real problem trying to find a PC with Win 7 that isn't a business re-furb. Some of my local places said they will be getting some in in 5 days or so, then will need to check and re-furb them. Unfortunately, even then I'll need to buy a new video card and more memory it looks like, maybe even a bigger HD, since the business machines don't really have the stuff I want. Used to be you could pick up perfectly capable PCs for pennies it seemed. I seems I want a mid-tower, since thats the size of the shelf I have for it.

Please no suggestions to build my own. I don't like doing that stuff anymore. From what I see, by the time I get a kit, then a HD, cd/dvd burner, video card, Firewire expansion card, and software, looks like I'll spend more than a name brand.

Old 04-24-14, 05:37 PM
Vic no suggestion on building your own since you don't want to do that but Tigerdirect.com has some nice pc's with no OS for around $349.00. It's been a couple of weeks since I looked there but that price is about right. I think each one was 500gb for the hard drive and at that price it wasn't too bad. As for the brand I don't remember but know it was an off brand. Dell has good sales on used refurbished pc's too. You can easily find good used hardware though too at places like Goodwill and that police auction I have linked to before.

Old 04-24-14, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, i saw the one you mentioned I think. Either there or Newegg. With all the stuff I have to add to it though (+shipping?) seems like I'm close to $500.

Maybe I'll just do some research on what MoBo would fit in my case and get that, memory, and an OS.

After I check my local shops next week of course. Got this one for $200 and it has been fine for 3-4 yrs.

Old 04-24-14, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
I'm having a real problem trying to find a PC with Win 7 that isn't a business re-furb.

Why anyone would even consider windows 7 is beyond me...

But here are many dells with 7.. Im a dell guy so thats what I recommend...( Well actually I would only recommend win 8...)

Desktop Computers & All-In-One Computers