Gateway EV700 Monitor

Old 03-05-01, 06:50 PM
Sat down at the computer yesterday to find that the monitor was black. My wife told me that this had happened a few times before but she got it to come back to life by running through the scan disk program from her memory.

I've now got a loaner monitor and it works fine with my computer. What's wrong with my monitor???? It's only 3.5 years old, and has never been bumped or dropped in that time.

Is there something that I may be able to so to fix it or should I just get a new one?

By the way the Computer and all of it's components are surge protected by a quality surge protector so I don't think that could've caused it. (No lightning recently either)

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-01, 03:49 PM
1st make certain that the connector in firmly plugged into the computer. If the monitor comes back by simply running scandisk, hmmm, try the following first...

If you have excess to another computer try running this monitor on it and see what happens.

Also try going to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/
click on display icon
click on screen saver tab
where it says energy saving features of monitor , click on settings.

Power schemes - set for ALWAYS ON
Turn off monitor - set for NEVER

you can change later if you want.

click on apply and ok, may have to reboot for settings to take effect. See what happens.

Also when this happens , does turning off and then on the monitor , bring it back.

Just trying to determine is it a problem with the monitor or the computer's control of that monitor.

Old 03-09-01, 01:03 PM
thaks for the input dker

I did check all the plugs to see if that might be the problem, but it wasn't. (I hate when I think something's broken and it turns out that I was just too stupid to make sure that it was plugged in....)

The monitor does not respond when turned off or on again while it's blanked, aside from the little power indicator light coming on and off again.

Thanks for the input, I'll try to change the settings when I get home...

Also I ran scan disk after the borrowed monitor was connected and I got nothing. Everything seemed to be ok.

It's very confusing. Every other monitor that I've seen fail has done so in a more gradual fashion, ie. lines on the screen, only partial screen operation; intermittent screen visible, crackling and popping noises etc.

I'll post my findings after I try the new settings.