Format astray

Old 03-06-01, 06:38 PM
BDJJOT
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Oh *[email protected]%, I did what you had written on that other post about formatting C drive. BUT I now cannot get it to setup Windows!!! Seems like it isn't recognizing a cd-rom. Can I download new driver and install?? And how of course?! I can't remember all the messages i get but I am getting a A,C,D&E prompt. It says it can't read D but is reading E or something to that effect. But I am getting a D prompt also. Hmm he says unknowingly......

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-01, 07:48 PM
If you are using a windows 98 or me start up boot disk then the CD rom will likely be the E drive for a one hard drive /one cd rom system. D drive will be a temporary ram drive that is created by the startup disk. If there is a 2nd hard drive or cd rom, then the cd rom could end up as an F or G drive.

I always try to tell people to make sure the CD rom comes up with the start up boot disk and confirm that bvefore exucuting the format command. The start up disk will bring up most cd roms. I know it has a problem with the quad speed , I am not sure about any others. If the cd rom is on the E drive. Then at the dos prompt type E: (press enter)
now with the windows install cd in the drive type SETUP (press enter) then just follow the prompts.

If any further problems just repost and I will try to help.