2nd HD not found?

Old 03-07-01, 06:35 AM
I recently installed a second IDE HD (Maxtor 30gig) to my existing system which had a Western Digital 10gig IDE HD in it. The reaseon for the swap was because the WD was receiving a blue screen "Cannot write to drive c:" only when I was browsing on the internet and would need to hit a key to return to the desktop. I've tried Norton Utilites which could not find any problems but when I rebooted the system would find bad clusters/sectors, which I allowed to have cleaned up.Unfortunately, cleaning them did not fix the problem.
Anyway back to my dilema. I have the following scenario:

CR writer - Primary Master
CD rom - Primary slave
Maxtor - Secondary Master
WD - Secondary slave

When I installed the Maxtor I set the jumpers to master and WD to slave. I replaced the original ribbon cable of the WD (which was a 20 pin cable with 2 ide connections) and used the new ribbon cable (which is a 40 pin cable with 3 ide connections). The Maxtor is on the end IDE connector,the WD is in the middle and the other(blue) end is on the mother board on the white IDE connector. I checked my BIOS (Award) settings to make sure that it was set to AUTO. I partitioned the drive into 3 seperate drives ( C,D,E ) which are found after I install the OS (Windows ME).

I cannot see the WD drive, any recommendations, Please help !

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-01, 07:32 AM
The C drive MUST be on the primary IDE conrtoller set as a MASTER.
IDE ribbon cables should be 40 pin, you likely counted only one side of the cable.

Here is my susgested layout

Maxter 30 geg set to MASTER on the primary IDE controller.
Western Digital 10 geg set to SLAVE on the primary IDE controler.
CD READER set as MASTER on the SECONDARY IDE controler.
CD WRITER sey as SLAVE on the SECONDARY IDE controler.

This is how I set up mine, the only thing that must be is that the C drive MUST be a master on the primary IDE controler, everything else can work in a different configuration.

Another thing is I would strongly suggest that you either format your old drive before you install the system or have it not connected when you reinstall the system, becaue if windows spots another system anywhere on the computer during the install it might cause problems. You will want to format the old drive anyway at some point.

You likely already know but if a new drive you have to use fdisk to set partitions and then format the drive. I assume that you have a windows 98 or me startup boot disk that you can boot up on and enable the cd rom support.

Any other problems just post them and will try and help.

Old 03-07-01, 07:48 AM
One additional note that I hope you have done, is that you have wrote done the names of your video card / sound card /modem card , you may have the driver cd's or floppies already. But if for some reason that windows does not find the correct driver by itself that if at least you know the name of them , you can easiliy find the correct drivers on the internet. This info could have been found on the old system if it worked at all, by going to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL
click on system con
clck on device manager tab
click on the + to expand the device you need info on.

Old 03-08-01, 06:03 AM
dkerr,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately after I setup the devices as you stated the drive still did not show in win me. Although it did show in the boot up sequence as the slave on the primary ide controller. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-01, 07:55 AM
I am a bit confused , you just installed a drive, where is me, isn't it a new drive with no system ? Unless you are refering to the startup boot disk.

What is showing up as the C drive, is anything showing up as a C drive.

If the one that is showing up as the primary slave at boot up, and you want that drive as the C drive , then the jumper on the back of the drive must be set master. Each IDE controller can have a master and a slave. Whatever drive that you wish as the C drive MUST have its jumper set as a MASTER and connected to the ribbon cable that is connected to the primary IDE controller. You cannot have 2 masters or 2 slaves on the same IDE controller.

If you have 2 hard drives, the one which you want to use as a the main C drive -set the jumper on the hard drive to master and connect to the IDE cable that is connected to the primary controller on the motherboard.

If a new drive it will need to have fdisk run on it to set partitions if you haven't already done so, and formatted. My susgestion is to connect the drive that is intended to be as the C drive (master on primary IDE controller) , keep the other hard disconnected for now. Put your CD roms on the secondary controller (master and slave) . Do the fdisk routine, reboot.(use the startup boot floopy to boot on) now format the drive, or drives depending on if you partitioned it as a single partition or multiple partitions within the same drive, then install the windows system.
Once installed completely , connect the 2nd hard drive as a slave on the primary controller, format the 2nd drive.Install any drivers that windwos did not do on its own and outside of installing any software that you want your finished.

Perhaps I may may have misunderstood you and you want to use the old drive as the C drive which already has a sysetm on it and add the 2nd drive to the system, please clarify.

Old 03-08-01, 01:15 PM
Just to clarify, I tried the Maxtor as Primary Master with partitioned into 3 with Windows ME OS on it. Then I have the WD 1 partition setup as the slave on the primary controller. The original drive (WD) had Win 98 setup on it, would that cause any problems? Anyway, When I boot up the CMOS recognized the drives in their respective positions, but I only see the Maxtor (C,D,E) then the CD-Rom (F) and CD-RW (G). I do not want to wipe the WD before I could get some data off of it. Thanks again.

Old 03-08-01, 01:46 PM
1st I find that I have had problems when trying to install a system when there was another system existing on a drive other than C.

However that may not be your problem, since it is not reconizing the existence of the second drive. If you have the master/primary partitioned C,D,E then the 2nd drive should be reconized as a F drive , and the cd roms G & H.
Make sure that the jumper for the 2nd drive is firmly on and set to slave, and the IDE ribbon cable is firmly in place, and the power connector is firmly conencted to the hard drive. If it still doesn't reconize it, and your bios is set to auto detect on both primary and secondary controllers. Then try the 2nd drive as a master on the secondary controller to see what happens, still problems.

You have stated that you started having problems with 1 drive , and that could be the origin of the problem, hard drive failure.

The only thing that has to be for sure is the C drive (master/primary) and the other 3 devices can be a toss of the dice.