My Passport hard drive

Old 04-14-14, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
My Passport hard drive

I just bought a 500 Gb My Passport from Western Digital. The instructions are clear how to install it once your computer recognizes it. However after I plug it in to the USB port, the computer never recognizes it. Am I doing something wrong? I plan on using this to download my computer in the event I have to go to W7 from XP

Edit: I can go to device manager, uninstall the unit, scan for hardware changes and it shows it being installed in the tray, and that it is ready to use. I cannot find it on my computer, or anywhere else. Welcome ideas.

Last edited by chandler; 04-14-14 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-14, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I have mybook live from WD. I have mine hooked to my router acting as a sever so to speak..

But with that said you must download the software. Did it come with a disk? Its the quick viwer and also has smartware for backing up computers.

Mine is 2 TB..

Once that is done you can view from the icon it places in the system tray..(right click it) Gives a dashboard.

Or you can access from the network folder. Through USB you should see it in my computer..

What model passport?

Old 04-14-14, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
Right.... you should see it listed as a drive when you go to "computer"
(same as a thumb or flash drive)

Old 04-14-14, 05:21 PM
Mike, it is a Studio model. It is not showing up on My Computer at all, even though it shows finding it in the tray. After a few minutes, however, I get the message that there was a problem with the installation and that the device may not work properly. I have downloaded the drivers, although they say they aren't necessary. Pete, I thought it should show up, but it doesn't. Still welcoming all advice. Thanks.

Old 04-14-14, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
You have XP??????.......................

Old 04-14-14, 05:45 PM
Yeah. That's why I bought it, in case I had to download the existing hard drive to do a clean install of W7

Old 04-14-14, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
And what computer?

You need to delete the drivers you have and download the latest from WD. There were fixes for the usb not being recognized.

Save them to your desktop then plug in the wd...It should find the drivers... Or I believe when you open the driver folder to run it it will guide you step by step.

Old 04-14-14, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Read this...........

http://support.wdc.com/download/note...otes.pdf?r=985

Here is the link to your product for reference...(your product right?)

WD Support / Downloads / My Passport / My Passport Studio

Old 04-14-14, 06:00 PM
Dell D820 2.2 Ghz, 4 GB Ram. I have downloaded and unzipped the drivers from WD, uninstalled the drivers via Device Manager. I have the new drivers saved to My Downloads. Would they be found there as easily as the desktop? If not, I'll move them. I'll go to the WD page and see if there are any fixes as well. Thanks.

Old 04-14-14, 06:18 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Larry what I would save are all of your pictures and documents you have made and not the programs themselves as some of the programs may not be compatible with Windows 7. I have a Western Digital MyBook I bought at police auction online and thought the installation would be as simple as just plugging it in. Some drives though I know do require drivers especially with Windows XP. I hope the drivers solve your problem.

Old 04-14-14, 07:26 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
The drive might not have a partition table (You need to create one for the drive to show up in "My Computer" and you would need to right click "My Computer" and then click manage -> Storage -> Disk Management and then find the WD External hard disk (Be very careful not to format or initialize another disk) You then want to click initialize or create a simple volume (It has been a while since I used XP so I hope I don't confuse you) and then choose NTFS quick format (Unless you want to wait hours upon hours for a full format) and default allocation size and let windows assign a drive letter

Here is a pictorial guide that probably explains alot better then all of the text I typed (Note your disk might not be labeled Disk 1 it depends on the connection and other disks in the system so be absolutely sure to choose the right disk)

Old 04-15-14, 04:12 AM
Much of what I have read indicates if it doesn't work on one computer, try it on another. I will try it on the desktop in my office today and see what happens. If I can get it formatted, maybe it will work on the laptop.

CB, when I try the My Computer right clicky thingy, it does not show up there either.

Richard, about the only thing I have on the computer is pix and documents, along with Quickbooks. I can install the programs from their original disks.

I'll post results. Thanks.

Edit. CB, I opened your tutorial. Exactly for simple minds like mine. It is working.

Last edited by chandler; 04-15-14 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 04:45 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Glad you got it working I am always glad to help

Old 04-15-14, 05:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
USB storage devices, whether it be a memory card reader, a flash drive, an external hard drive, or a hard drive bridge, rarely - if ever - require 3rd party drivers to function on virtually any version of Windows. They use standardized 'Mass Storage Class" drivers that are built into Windows.

This issue is a result of the drive simply not being properly initialized at the factory. It happens...

And FYI, certain networked devices like the MyBook NAS DO require extra software to be found and recognized over the network, BUT they do not need drivers to be seen when plugged into the local computer via USB.