New Modem

Old 04-15-14, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
New Modem

Just had to pass along a pleasant experience I had today. I had reported a problem with my DSL service telling them my power light on the modem was flashing red and green. They said a technician would call me on the matter. Our local Windstream guy called me on my cell (small town USA benefit) and asked what kind of router I had. Told him and he was amazed that I was getting any signal at all, since my modem was antiquated. I was on a jobsite, and he was on my back deck. He just left a new modem/router in my grill for me to hook up. Speed racin' now.

Old 04-15-14, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
DSL..... what is that

Old 04-15-14, 05:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's kinda like dialup.. But without the "DAMMIT IM ON THE COMPUTER!" getting yelled from the other room when you pick up the phone..

Old 04-15-14, 05:57 PM
It's all we have except for the questionable satellite service. FIOS is at the end of our road, and they claim everyone will have it eventually. I have to pay for the 1/4 mile trenching, though, so it may stay in the box. 12Mbps is OK, I guess, for now.

Old 04-15-14, 08:51 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FIOS is great Larry but if you get it be prepared for phone calls almost every week at least with them wanting to sell you some kind of new package or other. Speaking of routers and not modems Verizon FIOS has a new router they want to sell you to do a bit of an upgrade. My older router though does a decent enough job but I might upgrade sometime. The speed isn't always as good as it could be and its range is not as far as the newer router.

Old 04-16-14, 03:44 AM
I don't use the router function on the modem. You can switch it off. I like my Netgear dual band router, and chose to keep it in the loop. I've got too much going on wireless to rely on a Windstream router. Printer, Microcell, two phones, two Ipads, two computers, Roku. Of course not all at the same time, but the dual band helps sort things out and runs smoothly.

I have become pretty sales resistant in my old age. I have found out I can hang up on people without fear of repercussions, and can stare down anyone trying to sell me something I don't want in a store.

Old 04-16-14, 03:55 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
When I first got FiOS service I stupidly also got the "Freedom Phone" land-line service. The first call I received after the tech left was a political survey. I never gave out that number but I got an average of four to six calls a day, mostly for the prior "owner" of that number but also a fair number of solicitations. After a few weeks I simply turned off the ringer and used it only for outgoing calls. I have NEVER been contacted by either Verizon or Frontier (they bought out Verizon's land-line business in the western half of the US) to add any services to my FiOS.

My original speed on the FiOS was five down and two up but when I cancelled the telephone portion I had to go to a fifteen down and five up connection. The speed and "Quality of Service" on the FiOS beat Comcast's cable service six ways to Sunday. My current price of $29.95 a month is pretty nice as well.

Oh, I completely cut my ties to Comcast (cut the cable) last Thursday.

Old 04-16-14, 04:05 AM
I'm 12 down and .6 up, so FIOS will certainly be welcome, but it beats dial up, or a tin can with a string Your price is a steal, IMO. Of course we have TV, landline and DSL at nearly $80, which is highway robbery, but no cable and no other service provider available. Sort of like your electric company. Buy from us or do without.

Old 04-16-14, 04:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Larry, that's cheap compared to what I pay. I have a TV, internet and phone package from the light company - $127 including tax which is a few dollars less than what I was paying for satellite, phone and dial up. My TV package isn't near as nice as what I had with satellite but I sure don't miss dial up! The fiber optic internet speed is 30 mbps, I don't remember the download speed.

I went with the light company because they are the only one that will supply cable or internet to my address.

Old 04-16-14, 05:10 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
When I first went with the 15/5 on the FiOS (right after Frontier took over) the cost was $54.95 a month. Sometime between then and maybe a year ago the cost went up to $55.95 a month. Last March (last month) I had to get a new Visa card as my credit union notified me that there had been an information breach. Since Frontier insisted on a credit card (no billing) for Internet service they had the old card number which had been cancelled. I had to contact Frontier to get the billing number changed and after that the CSR asked me if there was anything else they could do for me and I mentioned I would like a lower price. That's how I got the $29.95 price. Hopefully it will stay at that price.

My cable TV was the ultra basic package which was only a few channels more than I can get via an antenna at a cost of $24 plus change. I think the only channels I lost in the change were Discovery, a few government channels and ME-TV, maybe a couple more religious, foreign language and shopping channels and the Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada) channel. Since I rarely watched Discovery (only Mythbusters) and the Canadian channel and never watched the religious, government and shopping channels the only thing I really miss is ME and I just might be able to pick that up (the station is about 65 miles distant) if I try real hard. I know that while I was "playing around" with an antenna I did get the tuner to grab the signal once although it couldn't actually hold it to watch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: