XP and Windows 8.1

Old 04-24-14, 08:17 AM
hi kolias Ė

This is the one I downloaded a few days ago and used to burn the iso file referenced in the previous posts. (I downloaded that first iso file in the list.)

Didnít have any problems but I really donít know much about it Ė except that it worked, i.e., I can boot up PCLinuxOS from the burned CD, lol

About.com: http://www.freeisoburner.com/

a long p.s. -

kolias Iím sort of going down the same path you are. Iím an old (well actually real old, lol) software guy. I just got the bug to rekindle some software development for fun-home-use that I used to do and am looking to get away from Vista.

I was kicking around Unix-type systems (I put SCO Unix on a high security level target system of PCís in the past and developed a great deal of C code for the system) and thought Iíd take a look at some of the Unix type systems out there today for PCís. But I think Iíll stick with Microsoft. (But Iím not sure, I want to look at some of the software development tools out there available for PCLinuxOS , etc.)

Like you say, if you are going to upgrade Ė why not jump to the latest: Windows 8.1. Thatís kind of where Iím going also. But I did say the same thing when I upgraded from Windows 95Ė I think Vista was the latest and greatest then. lol. I think I should have picked XP. lol

So I guess if we go with Windows 8.1 we will be on the bleeding edge! lol

Last edited by zoesdad; 04-24-14 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added a p.s.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-14, 10:39 AM
Kolias take a look at post number 20 on this thread you will see I posted a link to iso Recorder the link Zoesdad has looks fine and I personally think either program will work for you. To do a DVD-R image go to your download page find the iso and then Right click the iso click on open with and you will find iso recorder or free iso burner whichever you like best. With the Disk in the drive and with iso recorder you just click next and it starts right away.

Make sure your bios sees the cd or dvd drive first either through a temporary method using the function 12 key or through changes in your bios start up. Once the drive is recognized the PCLinuxOS screen will show up and you will have a chance to check the disk by using your up down arrow keys.

Do it fast though or you will just go into the live CD and you will not be able to check the disk. If the check disk says error then your downloaded image is no good and you should delete it and download the OS again. After checking you will need to restart your computer to use other features

Old 04-24-14, 11:03 AM
I have had as much success burning images to disks with CD Burner XP as any software I have tried.

kolias, I gather you aren't a native English speaker, so I repeat myself at the risk of sounding like I'm nagging. I just want to make sure what I wrote earlier is clear.

If you would prefer to do this work from a thumb drive, I would encourage you to try Pen Drive Linux's Universal USB Installer. I have used this free software to create bootable SD media from .iso and .nrg images for XP, Win7, 8 & the 8.1 update, as well as several different flavors of Linux. It has NEVER failed to work for me, and has saved me the cost and hassle of many CDs/ DVDs. I checked to confirm and it DOES have a specific menu selection for installing PCLinuxOS. The only down side it is a fairly large file, about 1GB. You seem to be tinkering with a number of different OS options at the moment, and IMHO, this is the perfect tool for aiding in that process.

Old 04-24-14, 01:40 PM
Lots of help here guys and I thank you but unfortunately I still have no success after wasting 3 DVDís. First I tried the program from zoesdad, it seem to work fine but when I tried on Windows explorer to see the contents the DVD was empty. I rebooted to DVD and it said no system disk. Tried again same process with a second DVD, results = same.

Then I downloaded the Linux FullMonty (3.9GB) and burned that to my DVD with ImgBurn which I have. Same thing again, this time ImgBurn said ďVerify Failed-Layouts do not muchĒ. Checking the DVD on Explorer again shows the DVD is empty and the re booting also failed.

Now I will try again with the program hedgeclippers mentioned on post 20.

Fred, I did use the Universal USB Installer for the PCLinuxOS and it did not work and I still have it on my USB. Prior to that I did copy the LinuxMint and Ubuntu to my USB and it worked.

I will post again when I get new results

Fred your smart cookie, ďÖ.you arenít native English speakerÖ.Ē How did you figure this out? lol. My accent says this but you donít know that. I was born in Greece and been here since I was a kid, took all my schooling in Canada, now Iím retired. And no, nagging I donít mind except if itís from my wife, lol

Old 04-24-14, 03:22 PM
Finally Success!!! The problem was the DVD writer on my laptop. I switched the process to my desktop, used my ImgBurn program to make the DVD and now I got my DVD. Put the DVD on my laptop and booted to FullMonty successfully.

I like the new system at a first glance but I guess have to learn a lot. I wonder if there is a help file somewhere about FullMonty and a Forum but I will search and try to find out whatís available.

Next step is to install FullMonty on my external Seagate HD so I can use it either with my laptop or desktop. After I learn more about it I may install it on my laptop to dual boot with my Vista Home or on my Desktop to dual boot with my XP Home

Thank you all for the great help

Old 04-24-14, 04:58 PM
Well that's good news!

(I think I'll give the Full Monty a try also , it's 2x as large as kde light that I just started to play with. May as well jump in with both feet. lol)

p.s. i didn't think you were Canadian because you never type "aaaaaayyyyy" lol

Old 04-24-14, 05:00 PM
Good idea zoesdad, I think its worth it

Old 04-24-14, 05:45 PM
Full Monty is nice as it has the complete Libreoffice already on there as well as other things I haven't completely explored. Mini KDE is more for customizers or people who really don't have much hard drive room but is still nice and more functional than most other smaller packages. Kolias I thought maybe it was a drive issue I bet for the flash drive it wasn't big enough and of course for the laptop the drive didn't work right for the OS. I had the same thing happen with one of my laptops, really the better way is to use a desktop DVD-RW drive they are made better.

Old 04-24-14, 07:58 PM
Learned the hard way that Desktop DVD-RW are better, lol

I found the PCLinuxOS forum but to register I had to send email and ask for it which may take some time I guess. Is there an easy way to copy the contents of my Linux DVD to a 2nd HD on my desktop? And if yes how do I get it going?

Old 05-11-14, 04:02 PM
I had 7 put on my computer and have had all sorts of trouble.. I tried to download firefox but it would not open. I would get a blue screen error full of words and sit will shut down.
If i open a pic i have saved it will not open I GET the same blue screen and it shuts down reloads.

Somebody told me at work I had to do a System File Checker put in SFC/Scannow run that to replace incorrect versions... I dont know what to do