Wireless network...

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-14, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Wireless network...

Am I thinking correctly? I have a Netgear 150N (I think) router, 3 of the 4 Ethernet ports are in use and when we rearranged the office, I finally just picked up a USB WiFi adapter for that PC and set up the the security on the router, instead of cutting more holes and running more cable. It's running at 75Mbps and can stream videos and such just fine.

One issue, and this is where I'm not sure if I'm thinking right. I have a Brother laser printer with built in WiFi, but it's only 802.11 b/g. It would be nice to be able to print from any computer including the laptop (instead of emailing the file), but I seem to remember that wireless will only run as fast as the slowest connected device. is that right? I don't want to bog it down.

Oh, I guess there is one other issue. I don't understand the Netgear explanations I guess, but why am I only getting 75Mbps? Isn't n good for 150?

Oh...and just one more question...lol. I'm using the highest security which I think is WPA2 (PSK) or similar. And it seems like if I drop to WPA (something)...might I get better speed...or should I even worry about it? We don't stream HD or game...just standard surfing and catching up on TV shows or watching Netflix sometimes.

I'll probably be back with more questions when I try to actually set up the network to share files and such between machines. Prob going to buy a new garage PC, this thing is just too darn slow now, even though it's wired. Too much junk in the trunk probably, but it's still running XP also.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-14, 08:12 PM
PRINTER WIFI

The printer's wifi signal, when enabled, will transmit a wifi signal so other devices, such as computers, laptops and smartphones, can access and print files through the printer wirelessly without any cables. You would have to determine the range of the printer's wifi signal to determine the distance at which other devices can connect to the printer. The speed of the connection will be determined by the range at which the device is connected to the printer, as well as the processing capability of the device.

NETGEAR SPEED

Netgear has the capability to handle up to 150Mbps, but it's all dependent on variable factors. Distance to the wireless router will affect the speed at which you connect to the Internet. However, other factors, such as your download speed through your ISP will affect the speed.

The security has no effect on the speed of your router, as it is an encryption algorithm set to protect access to your router. Netflix drains a lot of bandwidth and speed from your connection.

Old 04-19-14, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks Fresh...
My router and the printer are in the same room..no issues with signal strength. My ISP down speeds are close to 20 Mbps most times. Like I said..regular vids and TV streams just fine.

You didn't really answer my main question though...does a slower wireless device slow down all the wireless devices? Can't remember where I picked that up from...but I remember hearing/reading it.

Old 04-19-14, 08:31 PM
The speed of other devices connected to the wireless network should not affect the network speed. However, if a device is downloading from the network, that will affect the download speed of other devices connected to the network.

Scenario: One router, three connected devices.

ROUTER: 75Mbps max

DEVICE 1: Downloading 20Mbps

That leaves 55Mbps for Device 2 and Device 3.

Old 04-19-14, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Ok....maybe it was back in the day...I just swear I remember that the router would lower the speed to the slowest device connected. Guess I'll just try it and see what happens.

Old 04-19-14, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Yes a b/g device will slow the N device down to its speed...54mbs

Old 04-19-14, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
why dont you plug the printer into the router? Then you can print from any computer too. turn the wifi off...

Old 04-19-14, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Printer is USB and wireless only, no ethernet AFAIK. Need the WiFi to avoid running cables up through the wall through the attic, then down through the wall. Plus, when she wants to use her laptop or download to her phone.

If I can do it wireless..I'll do that...cables suck!

Old 04-19-14, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
If you plug the printer into the router, which it should have, you will print wireless still. But through the router and not the printer...

Old 04-19-14, 10:14 PM
If your printer is wifi capable, it should also have the capability to connect to the existing wireless network. I have a Canon MX452, which I connect wirelessly to my main wireless router to allow print capabilities for all devices connected to the network.

Old 04-20-14, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by freshDIY View Post
PRINTER WIFI

The printer's wifi signal, when enabled, will transmit a wifi signal so other devices, such as computers, laptops and smartphones, can access and print files through the printer wirelessly without any cables. You would have to determine the range of the printer's wifi signal to determine the distance at which other devices can connect to the printer. The speed of the connection will be determined by the range at which the device is connected to the printer, as well as the processing capability of the device.

NETGEAR SPEED

Netgear has the capability to handle up to 150Mbps, but it's all dependent on variable factors. Distance to the wireless router will affect the speed at which you connect to the Internet. However, other factors, such as your download speed through your ISP will affect the speed.

The security has no effect on the speed of your router, as it is an encryption algorithm set to protect access to your router. Netflix drains a lot of bandwidth and speed from your connection.

The speed of other devices connected to the wireless network should not affect the network speed. However, if a device is downloading from the network, that will affect the download speed of other devices connected to the network.

Scenario: One router, three connected devices.

ROUTER: 75Mbps max

DEVICE 1: Downloading 20Mbps

That leaves 55Mbps for Device 2 and Device 3.
There's almost nothing accurate about any of this.

First of all, except in certain special situations, WiFi printers are almost never set up as ad-hoc (which is what you described). That would require you to disconnect from your regular network, connect to the printer, print your job, then disconnect from the printer, and reconnect to your infrastructure network. Hardly convenient or efficient.

A WiFi printer contains a standard NetBIOS print server and a WiFi client adapter. The client connects to your router and makes the print server available over the LAN, where it can then be added as a network printer in any OS.

If your printer is wifi capable, it should also have the capability to connect to the existing wireless network. I have a Canon MX452, which I connect wirelessly to my main wireless router to allow print capabilities for all devices connected to the network.
This is the 'right' way. But being as his printer has a b/g radio, it WILL cause the speed issues he is concerned about. More on that next.

-----

The speed at which the wireless clients connect to the router has absolutely nothing to do with his ISP and advertised download speeds. It also does not divvy out bandwidth in the manner you suggested.

Now as far as the speed goes, if you have both G and N clients on a single band/single antenna router (which the N150 is) running in mixed mode, then yes - all limitations of G apply. The entire network is knocked down to the lowest common speed. Not only that, due to the presence of G clients, the available 54Mbps is divided equally among the number of connected clients. So if you have four clients connected and one of them is G, then each client only gets a 13.5Mbps theoretical maximum. When you factor in the 20% wireless/TCP overhead that becomes about 10Mbps - in a perfect world.

Encryption IS a factor in the overhead to a degree. The degree depends on the processing power available in the router (cheap routers like the N150 don't have much) and the number of connected clients. But you're really only talking about maybe 1/8 of the total overhead.

-----

Now the good news is there IS a way around this.. Buy a better router. Something with multiple antennas and simultaneous dual-band capability (I will recommend the Linksys E3000 - again an older proven model but the newer ones do not have DD-WRT support yet). A simultaneous dual-band unit runs 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously - allowing the G clients to run on the 2.4GHz band and the N clients to run on the 5GHz band.

Even if you use a non-simultaneous dual-band like the E2000, it still has three antennas which allows it to separate the N and G clients on the 2.4GHz band so the system isn't dragged down to G speeds.

And as for the USB adapter only connecting at 75Mbps, that is because that is the max for an N client using a single 20MHz channel. In order to get the 150Mbps rate on a single band/single antenna AP, it has to be locked into N-only mode (since G only supports 20MHz channels), which will enable you to select a 40MHz channel width. But that's also not taking into consideration that 40MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band are very prone to interference because the band is already very crowded (cordless phones, bluetooth, microwave ovens, etc). That's why N normally runs on 5GHz.

Old 04-20-14, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks JM...that jibes with the fuzzy memories I had about connection speeds. This router was just a replacement when my old one died a couple of years ago, never really intended to use the wireless much except when family came to visit...thats only happened twice.

It was working just fine when I had 2 roommates that both did simultaneous video viewing on their laptops and they were both wireless. 99.5% of the time, the only thing using wireless is the PC 10 ft away from the router, my garage PC and the 2 BR players are all wired. But since that one PC is Mommas, we don't want to be slowing her down in any way, shape, or form.

I guess I'll just keep the setup I have now til I get real ambitious. Emailing a file to the PC wired to the printer isn't a big deal, and I really don't need to do it that often. For letters, forms, taxes, etc we use that PC anyway. If we ever start wanting to stream HD stuff, maybe I'll upgrade then. $150 or so isn't that much, but if I don't really need it yet, I'll just soldier on with what I have for now.

I think I really need to upgrade my garage PC before I do anything else. Seems very difficult to share/connect networks and printers between XP, 7, and 8 (what our PCs and laptop are running). Maybe not for a "guru", but for me it is.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 04-20-14, 12:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Why don't you just enable file & printer sharing, on the PC, that hosts the printer & map the drive across the network?
Secondly, keep WPA2 & add MAC filtering, for all the wireless devices.

Old 04-20-14, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah Pulpo...Been trying to figure that out. When she had a Vista PC, I got that working IIRC, but if that PC was in standby it didn't work, and if either PC was shut down, had to go through all the stuff to connect them again...also IIRC.

I just don't know all the ins and outs, though I know if all machines are using the same OS it seems to be much easier. Right now...the only way to see connected devices (that I know of) is to use the Netgear Genie that communicates with the router.

Lie I said, need to upgrade the garage PC before I do any more playing around I think.

Old 04-20-14, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
I have a Brother laser printer with built in WiFi,
3 of the 4 Ethernet ports are in use

Is the printer next to the router?

Whats the model printer?

I still say if the printer has a lan port plug it right into the wireless router... This way you can turn the printer wireless off so it dont slow down the network...

Old 04-20-14, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Nope..no ethernet port on the Printer...USB and wireless only. HL-2270DW

Old 04-20-14, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
sorry gunny... says you have it in the specs...Im sure its there...?

Brother HL-2270DW | Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking & Duplex

Old 04-20-14, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Old 04-20-14, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Secondly, keep WPA2 & add MAC filtering, for all the wireless devices.

MAC filtering does absolutely nothing. It's 'placebo' security, just like turning off your SSID broadcast. A MAC address of an associated client can be discovered and spoofed in seconds.

If you have WPA2-AES (NOT TKIP) with a passphrase of at least 12 characters or more (the scheme allows up to 63 characters) including mixed cases, numbers, $pe(!a| characters, and non-dictionary words, you can pretty much consider your network unbreakable.

Unlike all previous versions of wireless security (WEP/WPA/TKIP) there is no known exploitable vulnerability in WPA2-AES, so the only way to hack into it is by brute force.

While yes, there was just an attack method published within the past month that can be construed as an exploit, it still requires a lot of computing power (more than your average skript kiddie will have), someone who is very determined to get into your network without you knowing (as opposed to simply beating information out of you with a wrench), and you to have a weak key likely to be found in the dictionary.

Basically it's a reverse dictionary attack (which is still a method of brute force). They have found a way to make the AP cough up the pre-shared key's hash value, and they compare it to a list of hashes of common/known dictionary values. If they find a match, they will know your key. So basically if you make your passphrase long and complex - not in the dictionary yet meaningful to YOU and easy for YOU to remember, there is no way its hash value will be in a dictionary list.

Old 04-20-14, 02:39 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Gunguy45, I never use sleep mode, standby or hibernation. I don't know why they were invented. Maybe to save 25 cents on your electric bill. You should be able to map the shares between any OS, as long as it's on the same subnet.

JerseyMatt, Maybe you & I know how to use MAC changer & inject a deauthentication packet but that doesn't mean that MAC filtering is a total waste.

Old 04-20-14, 02:45 PM
It is definitely a total waste. It does nothing. Period. Well, actually that's a lie. All it does is make it a pain in the ass for people who are ALLOWED to use the network add their devices - because when family comes over and tries to add their laptops/phones to the network, they won't be able to connect until their MAC addresses are added to the permission table.

Old 04-20-14, 03:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Exactly my point. When the family visited, I gave them the neighbor's key to his access point. How about that?

Old 04-20-14, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I"ll be an SOB. There is a port. I just thought it was just a blanked of part of the case when they deleted the Ethernet connection. Can't move it near the router though, and to make it a true network printer, I'd have to run cable up, over and down, which I don't want to do.

Wonder is using an /n USB network adapter would work? Prob not.

Finally figured how to get all PCs to see each other on the network...but without Homegroup ability (which XP doesn't have). Must be a real complicated way to use a single PC connected printer, but it's not that vital right now. All will be well when I upgrade my garage PC.

Thats going to be fun, re-creating everything the way I like it, bookmarks, and favorites, etc etc. Thats a question for another day.

I am using WPA2-PSK(AES). That I figured out on my own as the best one to use. Well, with some help from the Netgear site and Internet.

I use standby, because otherwise my garage PC is noisy as hell. Its on the wall near the bedroom headboard and the fan and crap just buzzes all night. Annoys me like a damn cricket somewhere in the house. Plus it takes literally 5+ min to power up to a usable state from full shutdown. I do it on wifeys cause she likes to leave her browser open and she constantly gets FB and other notifications. Still trying to figure out why hers is constantly accessing the drive even with no applications running.

Now, in the Navy and at HD...they made sure to tell us to never turn off the PC's, just the monitor, because they pushed all the updates downstream at night.

Do you just leave yours on and turn off the monitor?

Old 04-20-14, 03:22 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That's exactly what I do with my desktop PC. I leave it on & I shut the monitor. BTW you need a new power supply if the fan is that loud. Make sure that's where the noise is located.

Another thing that I use is an Amped 2400. My landlady provides my internet & I couldn't run a cable from her bedroom to my apartment. It's too far away. The Amped 2400 catches the wireless signal & turns it into ethernet ports. That way I can connect as many devices as I want.

Old 04-20-14, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
It's not the PS fan, but the CPU fan. Unconditioned garage, so in the summertime it runs a little hot. Not so much in the winter. It's an old HP Pavilion with just an Athlon chip...so I'm probably working it a little hard. Like I said...new PC in the works. Wish I could find one with Firewire, but I guess thats on the way out for most machines. USB 3 on the new ones is easier, but my old video cam is Firewire.

Maybe I need new stuff all around huh?

Old 04-20-14, 04:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Search for a USB to Firewire adapters.

Old 04-20-14, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Search for a USB to Firewire adapters.
Sorry.. they do not work as intended. All they will do is charge the device. They will not transfer data...

Gunny just get a card as I did. I bought this 504 for my windows 8.1 computer. I have a video camera with firewire. I make DVD's of my home movies...

Amazon.com: Rosewill 2+1 Ports PCI-E FireWire 1394a Card RC-504: Computers & Accessories

Old 04-20-14, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
I read about the adapters on an serious audio/video forum, most said til you get in the $400 range, they are very problematic. For that I can by a new cam.

I'll probably go with a card when the time comes. Hate to give up the cam. It was a top of the line when I got it for about $125 (clearance, markdown, missing a strap or some such) at the Base exchange. Still works like a champ with great video quality, though some phones can probably do almost as well.

Old 04-20-14, 05:57 PM
Exactly my point. When the family visited, I gave them the neighbor's key to his access point. How about that?
Last time I told someone the truth about what their actions said about them, I got an infraction.

It's a useless waste of time. Period. Someone with the resources and determination to crack your WPA2-AES password is not going to be deterred for more than 5 seconds by a MAC filter. The fact that you knew your neighbor's password (for whatever reason) and told your family to use it because you couldn't be bothered to add them to your MAC permission table renders your argument moot anyway. It's EXACTLY THE SAME level of security as turning off your SSID broadcast. It does nothing to protect you, because any 6 year old can see it anyway. It just means someone who is ALLOWED to use it has to manually type the SSID to log on.

Firewire cards are like $20. Just put one in the new computer. They make them for PCI, PCI-e, and ExpressCard (for laptops).

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 04-20-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 06:58 PM
Temporarily Suspended
JeresyMatt, you can say whatever you want about my actions & I won't request an infraction from the moderator, even though I got an infraction for telling someone to clean their bathroom. First you said that mac filtering does nothing, then you said that it blocks your guests. Blocking is what it was meant to do. It's not the best block in the world but the idea that 6 year olds can bypass it in 5 seconds is an exaggeration. I would change that to 14 year olds & 10 minutes.

Old 04-20-14, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Thats enough guys. My question has been answered to the extent I need. I need a new PC, and maybe a better router in the future....lol. Hell, this one was a PC repair place special when I got it 5 yrs ago.

Thanks for all the responses...

Old 04-20-14, 07:50 PM
Vic there is one thing you didn't get an answer to but I am sure you are aware about it when you think about, it is your bookmarks. I monitored this but didn't say anything because I am not an expert as far as networking is concerned but believe I have learned something here. Anyway about your bookmarks that is very easy to handle just dump everything into Firefox and use synch and you get all of your bookmarks back. It is what I did between my laptop that I bought used and my office computer. It only took a matter of minutes. Just one of the easier things.

Old 04-20-14, 08:31 PM
JeresyMatt, you can say whatever you want about my actions & I won't request an infraction from the moderator, even though I got an infraction for telling someone to clean their bathroom. First you said that mac filtering does nothing, then you said that it blocks your guests. Blocking is what it was meant to do. It's not the best block in the world but the idea that 6 year olds can bypass it in 5 seconds is an exaggeration. I would change that to 14 year olds & 10 minutes.
Just because you don't report it or ask for one doesn't mean I wouldn't get one. My attitude is certainly no secret around here. I don't hold people's hands and applaud them while they do dumb/wrong things. I don't believe that's the way to help people. You help people by doing things right and giving correct/accurate information that is based on facts, not on personal prejudice <ahem>.

Seeing as I seem to have confused you, let me put it another way. It is orders of magnitude simpler to defeat MAC filtering (which takes literally seconds) than it is to defeat properly implemented WPA2-AES (which can take months, years, even millennia or more). So if someone is capable of actually breaking into your network with properly implemented WPA2-AES, then it would be a trivial task for them to bypass your MAC filtering. Simpler than swatting a fly.

MAC filtering is NOT a security measure, it is literally the WORST block method in the world. All it does is make the actual administration of the network to allow authorized clients more tedious. No self-respecting network professional implements it on any network they maintain because all it does is create more work (in the form of manually having to add MAC addresses for every new device to the authorization table) with absolutely no benefit.

I would appreciate it if this were not locked. I am remaining civil. People need to stop giving out this misinformation as 'credible advice'.

Old 04-20-14, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Enough JM! Jeez...take a chill pill! Thank you for you informative response, it clarified things for me. No reason to argue about nit-picky points though.

People have alarm systems, but they still lock their doors and have motion activated lights. Like many things, layers of protection can be a good thing. Can we leave it at that?

Old 04-20-14, 10:24 PM
It wasn't for you. It was for anyone else who may read this. It's not a nitpicky point either, it's a pretty major chunk of misinformation, and as a network pro I find it particularly offensive that people are not only still spreading it, they are trying to validate it as truth when challenged. It needs to be made perfectly clear that - contrary to Pulpo's ill-informed opinion - MAC filtering is NOT a layer of protection, and it should NEVER be suggested as something that someone should do to increase their security.

To use your security analogy, it's like telling people to tape Saran Wrap over their windows as an added layer of protection. Thing is, your average Joe understands what a ridiculous suggestion that is. However most non-tech people don't understand jack about network security and would take such snake oil as something legitimate - and then they will ultimately cause more issues for themselves when they forget the filtering is enabled and can't figure out why their new device refuses to connect.

Old 04-21-14, 11:46 AM
...contrary to Pulpo's ill-informed opinion - MAC filtering is NOT a layer of protection,
Fair enough from an IT professional - but then don't we need a technology oriented definition of what MAC Filtering really is if it is "NOT a layer of protection", otherwise we are left with an enigma.

(btw- I'm behind the technology curve but IMHO Pulpo contributes a lot to this forum)

Old 04-21-14, 12:10 PM
I am certainly not getting in the middle of the Mac Filtering issue but since a question was raised about Mac filtering I thought finding a quick definition of it would help me and others who don't understand it very well. Here is a link to a Wikipedia article MAC filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There is plenty more on the web I just don't have the time to post anything more. I do agree when one has a subject to convey that is a bit over everyone's heads then linking an article helps. The one I posted is just basic but gives you some understanding of the subject.

Old 04-21-14, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by zoesdad View Post
Fair enough from an IT professional - but then don't we need a technology oriented definition of what MAC Filtering really is if it is "NOT a layer of protection", otherwise we are left with an enigma.
Not really, because the technicals of it may as well be in Chinese to most people. But here's a better example.. Think of WPA2-AES as a heavily fortified vault. And think of MAC filtering as toilet paper. To say that MAC filtering would offer any additional protection to your network is like saying that wrapping the money and jewels inside the vault in toilet paper would offer them extra protection against being stolen. When someone has the resources and determination to break into your vault to steal your money and jewels, wrapping them in toilet paper isn't going to offer any additional hindrance to the thief whatsoever.. Think about it: If you just spent hours or days brute-forcing your way into someone else's vault, would the sight of a little toilet paper slow you down in any way, or make you throw up your hands and walk away???

But what it does mean is that someone who is actually authorized to wear the jewels and use the money has to waste time and effort unwrapping them first...

See where I'm going?

(btw- I'm behind the technology curve but IMHO Pulpo contributes a lot to this forum)
I'm not saying he doesn't. But I'm saying he's wrong about this. When someone who knows better about something than you tells you you're wrong, you listen and learn. You don't try to justify and validate your wrongness with nonsense.

Closed Thread