Win 8.1 / XP Dual Boot with 2 HD?

Old 04-20-14, 07:31 AM
Win 8.1 / XP Dual Boot with 2 HD?

Dont now if its possible but instead of a dual boot with Windows 8.1 and XP Home I was thinking is it possible to install Windows 8.1 in one 260GB SATA disk I have on my desktop and install the XP in another EID 80GB hard disk I have on the same desktop?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-14, 09:41 AM
Forgot to add that I also have a Seagate 1.4TB USB external HD.

Perhaps that will make the process easier?

Old 04-20-14, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dual booting via a bootloader with multiple versions of Windows higher than 2000 is ugly. I won't even get into it because there are always issues.

The easiest and most trouble-free way is to completely install the XP (or keep the existing install you have), then yank the drive and install 8.1 on another. Disconnecting the first OS drive while installing the second ensures you won't run into issues with initial letter assignments. Windows likes to be on the C drive, and so do most programs you will install, so don't fight it.

Then plug the other drive back in and use the system BIOS's "Boot Order" setting to select the drive with your default OS as first priority. It will always boot to this OS if left to start up uninterrupted.

When you want to boot to the secondary OS, power on as normal, and use the "Boot Device Override" or "Boot Menu" hotkey for your system (it's USUALLY F9, but YMMV) during the POST, and select the drive with the secondary OS. It will boot there for that time only. Next time it powers up or if it restarts, it will go into the primary OS.

Just keep in mind if you ever need to move files between the drives - doing it this way will each time make whatever drive you booted to show up as the C drive, and the other one will be the D drive.

Old 04-20-14, 12:10 PM
Thanks Jersey, I agree with you but I was confused cause found other threads on the web which describe this process much easier. When the time comes I will find out 1st hand whats going on

Old 04-20-14, 08:05 PM
I agree with Matt while I have never done so myself I have heard horror stories of things going wrong. Now as far as between Linux and Windows dual booting is easier and just on one drive too.

Most Linux distributions come with built in software that makes a computer a dual boot computer without any problems. It will take away from space though that each OS needs so most people eventually go either completely Windows or Linux. You can get Virtual Box though instead of dual booting. I have that on my laptops and my office computer and run Linux on it occasionally.

Virtual Box is just as good and maybe even better in some ways than dual booting is and is available for Windows or Linux. You can run any OS in Virtual Box here is a link to the download page https://www.virtualbox.org/ . Best of all Virtual Box is free too!

Old 04-20-14, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't use VirtualBox in this scenario. The virtual OS takes a performance hit right off the top, and this isn't exactly fresh hardware to begin with. It's the same reason Windows running in Parallels on a Mac is always going to be more of a slug than if it were booted directly via BootCamp. You sacrifice performance for convenience.

He's got two hard drives, and the XP is already up and running, so just doing the clean install on the second hard drive, and then overriding the boot order when he wants to use the secondary OS is the better method..

Old 04-20-14, 09:46 PM
I don't disagree Matt it can bog down I have seen that on a Linux laptop that has Windows XP in a virtual box. Sometimes though Virtual box is a better method at least for those who only casually need or want a second OS without having to reboot every time. It depends though on the hardware you already have such as processor speed and memory. So no it isn't good as an alternative for every computer just some.

Old 04-21-14, 01:31 PM
Upvotes Received: 7
Each individual Windoze OS installation seeks to rule the world. Considering the corporate climate that creates them, you could hardly expect otherwise. So if you dual boot with any Windoze OS, the key to the set-up's longevity is in insuring that none of the Windoze OSes ever are given cause to detect that another OS is present on that PC. Out of sight, out of mind. Otherwise, they get jealous, and territorial, which can lead to a catfight. Sometimes the damage is only minor, but it can be catastrophic. The fact that the opponent is another M$ OS curries it no favors. The newer OS usually is the victor in these conflicts, so I would not expect your Win8.1 installation to take it in the shorts, except for the vulnerability to its system restore points (addressed below).

In a two HDD dual boot system, I always used to put the swap file/page file for each individual OS on the HDD of the other OS, because there is a small performance advantage to having the virtual memory on a HDD separate from the OS. But this was a guarantee that the Windoze OS eventually would gain awareness of the competing OS, and the outcome usually was apocalyptic.

These days I dual boot through the Bios Boot Specification (BBS). Using BBS eliminates using a single boot manager to control which OS loads at start-up, but neither using BBS nor a boot manager guarantees the two OSes will never meet in some dark alley. If you really want to be safe about it, you should dig a little deeper into the BIOS and disable the SATA channel the non-booting OS is on. Or you could simply unplug it (preferably while the PC is switched off ).

If you choose to dual boot XP with any of the later M$ OSes, and you don't want to go through the hassle of disabling the non-booting HDD, at least take the precaution of hacking the registry on XP to prevent it mangling the System Restore Points on the Win7/8 side (instructions here). Beginning with Vista (pardon my french), M$ changed the structure of System Restore Points, but not their naming convention. So if XP "sees" an SRP on a Win7/8 installation, it sees them as corrupt and attempts to fix them. Oops.

Best case, don't risk anything of value to a dual boot system that you don't back up religiously.

Old 04-21-14, 04:24 PM
Thanks all for the info but I see this thread
How To Install Windows 8 From USB Key | gHacks Technology News
which describes to install win8 to a USB HD

Perhaps that is a better alternative?

Old 04-21-14, 07:17 PM
That can certainly be done but no key will be available and no key the operating system will only work for 30 days and then quit. Also I noticed this was talking about the preview version and unless I am mistaken I seriously doubt the preview is still available. I did some further checking and see at least with my research a free download of Windows 8 is no longer available. Used to be you could download a copy and then pay for it if memory serves me right. Now it looks as though you pay first and then install the way most of their OS have been distributed.

If you are unsure of using Windows 8 I suggest you borrow a copy and run it in Virtual Box to see if you like it. If you don't no harm done and you are just evaluating what is there and seeing how it works on your computer. It will not be a perfect evaluation but you at least get a better feel for how it works.

Old 04-21-14, 09:59 PM
I plan to buy Windows 8.1 and this link says what I plan to do
Windows 8 installation, external hard drive | Windows 8 Support

Old 04-21-14, 10:27 PM
Well that certainly will work only thing you are in Canada right? Only reason I ask is that I looked on Amazon.com and it said 8.1 which is the newest wasn't available for download in Canada. Might just be Amazon.com I really can't say anyway I wish you luck with that install!

Old 04-22-14, 08:08 AM
I plan to buy Windows 8.1 from here
Operating Systems
I bought my MS Access 2010 last year from them and found the service very good. Only thing they have 2 versions of stand alone Windows; Windows 8.1 (32bit) for $79.95 and Windows 8 (32bit) for 99.95. I thought the 8.1 should be the more expensive so I asked the question to make sure that I will get the right one before I pay

Old 04-22-14, 08:55 AM
Two things..

1. Not in a million years would I ever give my credit card number to a website based in the Ukraine/Russia.

2. There is absolutely nothing legitimate about that site or the software they're selling. You are basically paying for a cracked/pirated version. It says right on the FAQ that you get a digital download and no actual COA - but they claim to have "pre-registered" and "pre-activated" it for you.. It's no different than downloading a torrent with a cracked serial, except you are getting charged close to full retail for it.

Old 04-22-14, 09:03 AM
hey Jersey you opened my eyes to something I was not aware, thanks

In that case I will get my copy elsewhere, do you know a good legit place to download? (I'm in Canada)

Old 04-22-14, 10:06 AM
There won't be anywhere legitimate that allows you to download Windows. Windows is only distributed in physical form with a paper COA/license key.

I don't know why Amazon would say it's not available in Canada, it's in the release list along with pretty much the rest of the world...

Basically just buy it from somewhere credible like Newegg. The OEM version should be $100, the 'full' version should be $120. There should never be a price difference between 8 and 8.1, because 8.1 is a free "upgrade" (if you can call it that, and it's another red flag somethings off with that website). There is absolutely no difference between OEM and full, except for the OEM version gets locked to the computer and can not be transferred to a different one. The full version can be deactivated and moved to a different computer if you want.

Old 04-22-14, 10:13 AM
Oh and if I were you I'd report the credit card you used to buy Access from that site stolen and get a new one. If it wasn't too long ago, you can try and file a chargeback for the transaction too, and maybe get your money back.. Tell the credit card company that you just learned the site is fraudulent and based in the Ukraine (which is why you're reporting the card stolen), and the software they sold you is pirated.

Old 04-22-14, 12:29 PM
What I saw as not being available in Canada was what Amazon.com claims is a legitimate download of Windows with the key I assume being sent via e-mail. I know actually of only one company that legitimately works with Microsoft and that is Digital River. I received a copy through PC Worlds website but it had no key I took that off of the computer and it was for Windows 7. Perhaps Digital River doesn't have a presence there in Canada so that is why Amazon.com can't provide the paid download.

For Canada I only saw the disks being sold and no download available. I also remember at least inside of Microsoft and for a fee that technicians can download a new copy of windows for their customer but after that there is no real legitimate place that I know of. I know I didn't have any activation issues myself and Windows is working fine. So there are exceptions but very few and personally I would rather buy a regular disk copy of Windows than buy from some place online and have problems.

Old 04-22-14, 12:46 PM
I have no idea what you're looking at because Amazon does not offer any version of Windows as a download. In any country. And they certainly do not email a key to you. The Microsoft retailer's agreement expressly prohibits that. The closest they do is the 'upgrade' from 8 standard to 8 Pro, which is just a key code (which is still physically mailed to you). It does not have a download, because all it is doing is unlocking features that are disabled in 8 'standard'. it uses the "Anytime Upgrade" method just like 7 did, where the feature set is determined by the license key, not the install disc.

The value of the software is 100% in the license key. If you hold a valid license key - either purchased retail or preinstalled with a COA attached to the computer, it doesn't matter where you get the reinstallation media from (although it is in your best interest to only get them from a trusted source). The ISOs are freely available from Digital River for Vista, 7, and 8.

But you still need a license key, and no legitimate retailer will EVER offer digital delivery of the key. It is printed on a physical sticker and must be delivered that way. They will also never offer a 'preactivated' copy for download. Anything 'preactivated' is a cracked copy.

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 04-22-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 01:08 PM
That must be an upgrade then and it comes via Microsoft. I saw Microsoft and that it was a download but I didn't do any further exploring as I wasn't interested in Windows 8 just in exploring the issue Kolias had. Anyway this is what I saw but found out it wasn't available to anyone outside of the United States here is the link Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Pack (Win 8.1 to Win 8.1 Pro Upgrade) [Online Code]: Software.

Even if you have Vista or Windows 7 and really think that this is a good deal beware and read the customer complaints. I feel this offer will be taken away if not by Amazon.com then by Microsoft. I have seen the problems that can arise in downloading an OS with Linux and with that you get unlimited tries but with this I imagine not.

Old 04-22-14, 01:12 PM
Yeah, thats the upgrade from standard to pro. It still requires you to have a properly licensed copy of 8 standard.

There is nothing to download, because the Pro feature set is already installed in the standard version, they're just disabled. It's just like doing an "Anytime Upgrade" from 7 Home Premium to 7 Pro or 7 Ultimate. All you get is a key. You click Upgrade in the control panel, enter the key, and that's it - you have the new version. And like I said, it is mailed to you. The cost of this upgrade key is simply the difference in price between a 8 standard license and an 8 Pro license.

Old 04-22-14, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys for the help but in my area if I go to any local store selling software (Best Buy, WalMart, etc.) the Windows 8 does not come with a CD/DVD. All you get is the product key and the address of a site to go and download the file. You can order a DVD but that comes by snail mail and who wants that.

But searching I found TigerDirect in Toronto, Canada
Windows 8 at TigerDirect.com
and its on DVD and I can get it thru mail for $114 + taxes / shipping which is fine and thatís the best way to go since for an OS I prefer to have it on an original DVD than download it and make my own DVD

Regarding the Access I bought from Ukraine, that was about a year ago and I never seen any charges on my credit card that I was not aware. I think its kind of late now to change my card because if they wanted to use my card they should have done it sooner

Old 04-24-14, 12:20 PM
"Two things..

1. Not in a million years would I ever give my credit card number to a website based in the Ukraine/Russia.

2. There is absolutely nothing legitimate about that site or the software they're selling. You are basically paying for a cracked/pirated version. It says right on the FAQ that you get a digital download and no actual COA - but they claim to have "pre-registered" and "pre-activated" it for you.. It's no different than downloading a torrent with a cracked serial, except you are getting charged close to full retail for it.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/computers-internet-capable-devices-peripherals/523392-win-8-1-xp-dual-boot-2-hd.html#ixzz2zphUixrN"

Jersey I donít disagree with what your saying but here is my comments on this subject so other members can decide if this is a good site or not.

First, when I installed Access 2010 last year, I immediately got updates from Microsoft and I still do. To me this means that MS recognizes my Access as a legit download

Checking my Visa statement, it shows the money was collected from a company in Ontario, Canada (megatownweb.com). I donít believe that an Internet Canadian company will do fraudulent business in Canada and not be found by the cops

It is more than a year since I got my download and nothing fraudulent has appeared on my Visa

Finally I email my bank yesterday explaining what happened and today they replied that as far as they know all looks ok and if I feel uncomfortable they can change my card. I decided to keep my card. I assume that banks have a way to find out about non legit business.

Based from the above, I will say that this company is a legit business, but this is only my opinion and I'm not saying this company is good or bad.

Old 04-24-14, 01:32 PM
LOL! Just because you get updates from Microsoft doesn't mean the software isn't pirated. That's exactly what pirated/cracked software is - it's a copy that has been broken open and patched/modified so that it works just like the real deal, just without the pesky price tag.

Hell, I could install the whole Office Pro Plus suite for you, and with a couple clicks it would be activated, Microsoft's servers would validate it as "genuine", and it would receive all updates. If I then handed you a bill for $200, would you pay me - knowing that it's 100% profit for me?

Better yet - would you pay someone close to retail price for a new computer that you knew had fallen off the back of the truck? Because that's what it is. You are receiving stolen merchandise - and the worst part is, you're paying almost full price for it.

The fact that they email you a key or you download a 'pre-activated copy' is proof enough that the software is pirated. All Microsoft software product keys must be delivered on a physical paper COA, and they are NEVER "pre-activated". Period.

Try this.. Download a program called Enchanted Keyfinder. Run it and when it finds the entry for Access, click on it and see what it says under Release Type. If it says anything other than Retail (it'll probably say Volume License), it is counterfeit. If it actually comes up with a CD Key (which it probably won't), google it. I guarantee it will give you hits as one of the widely known pirated keys.

Also, they don't have a presence in Canada. Their card processor may list a Canadian company, but it's nothing more than a shell corporation, which is running their payments through a cheap web host. No doors for the Canadian cops to knock down because the whole thing is run out of Russia (the only country with more counterfeiting operations per capita than China). The server is in Ukraine, and the registered domain owner is allegedly in Poland (this time). If you do a little research, this site has already been shut down several times and it just keeps popping up again on a new server in a new country (this particular one is just over a year old).

So if you want to play with fire and give them your credit card number to buy counterfeit software at near retail price from them again, fine. That's your prerogative. But don't say you weren't warned.

Old 04-24-14, 02:18 PM
Matt I found an article on About.com that supports what you said. Here is a link to it Where Can I Download Windows 7? . I am not trying to be mean kolias but I do think JerseyMatt does have a point and even if you have to wait for a disc to be mailed to you it is better to get a physical copy rather than take a chance. Anyway read the article and make up your own mind.

Old 04-24-14, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, I did my part, you did your part, and its up to each member here to make their own mind

Old 04-24-14, 02:48 PM
I agree totally with what you said Kolias. I for one consider the matter closed!