Can someone tell me if this is worth doing?

Old 04-28-14, 09:36 PM
I just found this 'snipping tool'.....cool.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-14, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Well, 1Tb WD Caviar HD and software is on the way. Went with Amazon since I had some credit there. Under $130 final price for both. Decided I'd just get a new HD and leave the recovered Vista install drive alone. I'll just pull it and maybe store it for if I ever junk that PC...or my old old one.

Was surprised at HD price. Was going to just get a 500Gb (more than enough for my needs)...but it was only about $5-7 more for the bigger one, same brand and everything.

Old 04-29-14, 12:30 PM
I am glad you went for a 1TB hard drive. I have had my used Dell Inspiron M5030 Laptop for only a few months and already the 350gb hard drive is about a quarter of the way full. Still better than my old Dell Latitude D600 at only 120gb but I plan on upgrading as soon as I can to 1tb.

I noticed how cheap the hard drives were and was surprised myself I guess Thailand where they make most of the hard drives is now back in full production. For a while those drives were kind of high in price because the supply was low. I do surveys and get gift certificates for Amazon.com so I do most of my tech and other shopping there too.

Old 04-29-14, 03:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
1TB was a good idea. I not a fan of WD though. Make sure that you keep a backup of everything that you put on that drive.

Old 04-30-14, 01:33 AM
I think no matter what brand of hard drive you buy you better back up what is on that drive or be very sorry you didn't. I used to not care much for Western Digital too but not because of quality issues but price and at one time I used to buy only Maxtor hard drives they were bought out by Seagate though. I think they kept the name Maxtor for a while and then just sold under the Seagate name. Seagate though I had heard wasn't a very good manufacturer and many of their hard drives had premature failures. This though has been a long time ago and times change.

Old 05-05-14, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Woohoo Woohoo...play time later today. Drive and OS are out for delivery! 2 days early even. Of course it's FedEx Smartpost, which means I won't get it til my regular mail comes. If I even get it today. On Mondays, they have a tendency to only deliver scraps of stuff that didn't get delivered last week.

Anything I should expect to run into? It's a SATA drive which I believe is just plug and play (no jumpers or must connect to a certain cable if main drive?) and a system builder disk. Should be a put it together and do a full install when prompted, then connect to the Internet and download the hundreds of updates for the OS and security, right?

Leave the AGP video card in, or add it after the install?

Old 05-05-14, 09:30 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Leave the card in so the install can see it.

Old 05-05-14, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks...thats what I thought.

Old 05-05-14, 09:46 AM
Video card wise Windows 7 is great about recognizing individual cards. On the motherboard with integrated video maybe not so much and an updated driver is needed then. You are right about upgrades though and be prepared for those as there will be a bunch. Not to mention adding Flash,Adobe Reader etc.

Old 05-05-14, 10:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes the drive is plug and play. If the original drive was SATA it goes to the same cable. If the original drive was IDE, then plug the new drive into the port marked SATA0.

Have all hardware you're going to use (with the exception of a USB printer) installed/connected before you install Windows.

Once you have Windows installed, and all the drivers installed, and the hundreds of updates downloaded, and all the programs you use installed.. Install Macrium Reflect and make a disk image (you will need a 16GB flash drive or an external HD with at least 12GB free). You can consider this your 'restore' disk. When it comes down to needing to reinstall Windows down the road, it only takes about 9 minutes to re-image the drive, versus having to go through the entire hours-long install/update process again.

And as far as any issue about WD, no need to be concerned. I see far less failures on WD drives than Seagate or Toshiba (FYI at this point the rest of the brands are either out of business or have been absorbed by WD/Seagate/Toshiba). In fact right now my dead pile waiting to go into the wood chipper consists of 7 Seagate, 3 Toshiba, 1 Hitachi, 1 Samsung and 1 WD. Yes, the Caviar 'Green' line has earned a worse reputation when compared to the Blue/Black/Red lines, but even that's better than anything from the other two manufacturers - ESPECIALLY Seagate.

Nevertheless, it's never a bad idea to keep running backups anyway. Aside from the 'restore' image that you should keep somewhere safe on its own, use Reflect to periodically create a 'snapshot' image. If you keep a large flash drive or external hard drive plugged in, it can do this automatically for you every week (or more if you want - just keep in mind the images will get larger as you add things). The free version just does 'full' images, so you'll have to go in every few backups and delete the oldest ones to keep from filling up the drive. The paid version ($45/computer) does 'incremental' images as well, where only new and changed files are added to the image - which keeps the size down.

These running backup images can be used for 'bare metal' disaster recovery, meaning if the drive goes kablooey, you can re-image a new one and be back to where you were (up to the point of the last backup of course, which is why more often is better) in a matter of minutes.

Old 05-05-14, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks JM and Hedge.

I got a WD Blue...so at least I feel good about that. No problem with the flash drives for an image...got several that big floating around, maybe even a couple of 32's.

One other question...though it can wait a while. Do I need as big a drive as is in the machine to do backups? I have a eSATA dock that I've used in the past so could I just use a 250Gb drive in that for backups? Keeping in mind I would have to delete the older ones of course. Guess it depends on how full the installed drive gets...duh? I'll probably never get close to filling up the new 1Tb drive. The 80Gb in the machine I'm on now is 4 yrs old and isn't even half full.

Old 05-05-14, 11:06 AM
Reflect defaults to 'Smart Mode', which creates a smaller image than what is actually used on the drive. Among other things, it tosses the Windows page file (2x amount of installed RAM) and the hibernation files (same size as installed RAM) to save space. It also has three levels of compression (but higher compression means backups take longer). A typical 7 install generally uses about 12-15GB. Reflect with its default settings will create about a 10GB image of that drive. I have squeezed it onto an 8GB flash stick but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

It also depends on what kind of files you have. The files used by programs and the OS, Office documents, etc are very compressible (that's why your 10GB Windows initial install (before updates) can fit into about 3.5GB on the install DVD).. Others such as JPG pictures and MP3's are not (they are already compressed). So it will always vary based on what you're storing.

I forgot to mention, if you have a NAS on your network (such as a MyBook, TeraStation, etc), Reflect can back up to those too.

Old 05-05-14, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Gotcha...no music and very few pics. Mostly I just download those off the camera or recorder...do what I need, then put them on a flash drive or disc and get rid of them off the PC.

Looks like I'll have all I need.

Wish my mail came before 5pm!!!

Old 05-05-14, 12:43 PM
I am glad you mentioned a Mybook Matt I have one I haven't used and have thought about using it as a back up device. The program you mention I think I will start using. Plenty of important files to consider such as business files for my rental and related things. Macrium Reflect sounds like it will do the job. I am sure though I may have questions though. So you have late mail too Vic? Same happens over here too I just hope they packed everything good for you!

Old 05-05-14, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
I'm almost at the end of my drivers route...so it's normal for them to get here around 5:30 or 6.

Old 05-05-14, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our mail used to run late. I've come in from work before around 6PM checked the mail [none] and found the box full the next morning on my way out. I think they cut up the routes because now my mail usually comes late morning.

Didn''t one of their old motto's state that their rounds would be done by 5PM but then if we get enough snow/ice they don't come up our holler anyway

Old 05-05-14, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Of course...no delivery of my stuff....grrrrr

Old 05-06-14, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My son wants to install a can light in his beadboard bath rm ceiling. We found out late saturday that a 6" hole saw isn't big enough [takes 6 3/8"] so I ordered one from amazon. They said 3-5 days delivery, tracking says it will get here next tuesday ?? hopefully your order will come today!

Old 05-06-14, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Got my stuff today...no problem with installs. Could they make the Product key any harder to read though? Little tiny sticker and writing so small I had to get my jewelers visor on and even then some of the letters were iffy! Is that a Q or an O?

Connected to network and it found printer right away. Downloading AV and all updates now.

Old 05-06-14, 07:38 PM
It's a Q. There are no O's (oh's), 0's (zeros), I's (eyes) or 1's (ones) in Microsoft product keys for that very reason..

Old 05-06-14, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I guessed right then. I'll tell you...some older person would never have been able to see it.

Old 05-06-14, 10:25 PM
Don't feel too bad Vic I have had to play guessing games with Microsoft keys too. I just wish they made the letters bigger like they used to. It seems like every time they come out with something new they make the keys smaller and harder to read. Last time I installed Windows 7 on my desktop upstairs I had to wear my glasses.

Old 05-06-14, 11:42 PM
Lol if a computer comes with Windows 8 pre-installed it doesn't even HAVE a sticker with the key on it anymore. AND, there are THREE different versions of 8 that pre-loaded computers can come with (and it's rarely marked which one), and a key for one will not work in another.. So that gets real fun when an 8 computer gets brought in with a fried hard drive.. Just one more reason in the long list of why computer techs HATE 8.

Old 05-07-14, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like a t-shirt... "I HATE 8!!".

Old 05-07-14, 12:11 PM
A t-shirt sounds like a great idea! Having no COA on the computer must make it very frustrating for a computer technician. I know why though Microsoft just wants to make more money off of everyone and force people to buy a new disc.

Old 05-07-14, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
OK...pretty much have it all done now. Found out about Sync to get all my FF stuff transferred over, so that was easy. Probably just need to make a list of actual programs I have installed on the old one, then go get the right new version. Not that many, just safety utilities and such mostly.

Working very well so far, much quicker loading and opening of programs. With the stuff I normally have open and running, hardly ever more than 10% processor usage (more like 1% mostly) and 2Gb of free memory. Sweet!

I am worried about one thing though...I've used almost 24Gb...only about 907Gb left...lol.

Old 05-07-14, 07:19 PM
I am worried about one thing though...I've used almost 24Gb...only about 907Gb left...lol.
Is that all Vic lol well I don't think you have much to worry about then it takes a while to fill a drive that big. I did buy a 1.5tb drive for my living room computer as I didn't know whether I would record tv shows and video takes up more space. I only recorded just a bit of something once and haven't recorded anything since with it. I am glad you are happy with your computer!

Old 05-08-14, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess there is a difference on how we use a PC compared to the kids. I've never had a PC where I used up half of the hard drive but the kids all seem to have bigger hard drives with very little space to spare.

Old 05-08-14, 12:31 PM
Probably because of video games on them they really take up a great deal of space. Some people make money though playing video games I hear but that isn't for me. I went to be able to get away for a while not just sit around all day!