cutting the cord? going wireless?

Old 04-29-14, 11:41 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
cutting the cord? going wireless?

Our phone and internet is provided through two pair of phone wires that were buried 40-50 years ago, and, needless to say, our internet is s-l-o-w. I was looking at a neighbors set up this week, which uses a wireless router(?), and he can change webpages faster than I can change tv stations, so talked with Verizon today, and am going to talk with AT&T, but am wondering what if any downsides there may be to going this route. Cable is not an option, as we are in the country, so it is several miles away. In talking with the Verizon dude, it appears that the cost of a router and related service is almost identical to our current cost for two land lines, so seems to make sense, but just wondering if I may be missing something.

Old 04-29-14, 01:00 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting the cord sounds like a wonderful idea at first but if you do be prepared to pay much more than you are paying now. My friend in Tennessee has a Verizon Mifi device that is small and flat and he likes it a great deal but there are caps placed that limit you as to how long you can use such devices. If you go over the cap you pay more money per month. I found an article from PCMag that should help you in making decisions and it talks about their 4G LTE Broadband wireless router. The page is a bit slow even with wifi so be patient it is worth the read here is the link Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Old 04-29-14, 01:45 PM
A
Thank you, and yes, the article raises some of my own concerns. So maybe I should approach it from a different angle. As mentioned, we currently use dial-up for internet connection, the phone lines are quite old, definitely slow, and cable is not available. We do have Dish for our tv, and they have recently said that they offer internet in our area. We have cell phones, just not smart phones yet, although I could upgrade one or both of those and tether one of them to the computer when we use it, but have reservations about that as well. Under these circumstances, I welcome any thoughts or opinions on what our best choice may be. Not a do or die type thing, but am definitely tired of constantly waiting for emails, web pages, etc. to load.

Old 04-29-14, 02:24 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Old 04-29-14, 04:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
First, the wireless router has almost nothing to do with the speed you see when visiting your neighbor. You are probably limited by your download and upload speed. Whatever your download speed is then fed to your home's WiFi router.

I too live in the country and there are three options for Internet. Old fashioned dial-up which is very slow. DSL which at my location is very slow for DSL and not worth what they charge. The phone company just blindly says DSL "implying" high speeds but talking with the techs and neighbors that have tried tell the truth. The final option is satellite Internet. It's not cheap and it does have limitations but it is the only true high speed option for my location. It has a latency (lag) and because you "buy" a certain amount of usage it is not a good option if you like to stream videos or movies unless you do so carefully.

Old 04-30-14, 04:55 AM
A
Sorry to dredge this back up from yesterday afternoon, but, not uncommonly, I was able to log in last evening, but unable to open any sites. Anyway, thank you for the feedback. And I did mention having Dish, so will take the advice to check that out. As for a router, I wondered what if that was the correct term, but am pretty sure that is what he called it, so I did likewise. It's a box that the phone and computer connect to, and the box sends and receives the data. As I understand, it would be similar to tethering a smart phone to the computer, which I will probably check out as well, except that having this box eliminates tying up the phone. Again, I thank you for the information, and now I just need to gather some local prices for service options.

Old 04-30-14, 04:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
I feel your dial up pain. Until a few yrs ago dial up or satellite was my only internet options .... and satellite cost too much. About 5 yrs ago our local POCO decided to get into the cable/internet/phone business and run fiber optic lines. My area was one of the last ones to get it but I was sure glad to make the switch. With their package deal I pay about the same as I did for dial up and satellite TV, I have less TV channels but the high speed internet more than makes up for it.
I would think that as time goes on your internet options will become greater but that doesn't make putting up with dial up any better in the meantime

Old 04-30-14, 05:03 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The Dish bundle is probably your best bet, however be aware that there is a data limit of 10 gigs per month, similar to the hotspot (Mifi, etc) plans.

Old 04-30-14, 07:42 AM
A
So I called Dish, and can get "20 gig", which he said equates to "about 250 hours", and which, assuming he is correct, should meet our needs, for about $10 more per month than the cost of our second land line. Sounds reasonable, although I guess we'll have to see if the size is adequate; we don't play games, download movies, etc. I would have signed up this morning, but his high pressure push came out every time that I asked a question, and I don't like that, even though I know he was trained to be that way, so we finally agreed that he will call me back this afternoon.

Old 04-30-14, 09:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Also check HughesNet, Exede which is part of ViaSat (was formerly Wild Blue). Dish and DirectTV are re-sellers of the ViaSat/Exede service. The important thing to check is the speed of the service. If you want the fastest then you need someone using the ViaSat1 satellite which is currently the fastest one in orbit.

I have a 15 gig per month plan and that is sufficient for pretty intensive use. Near the end of our billing cycle I check the data usage and we usually have enough left to stream one HD movie. I would not buy more data usage than you actually need since unused data volume does not carry over and is just wasted money.

Old 05-02-14, 05:29 AM
A
So we went with Dish, connected just yesterday, but looks good at this point. After you mentioned HughesNet, Dane, I had one of those "oh yeah" moments, pulled a folder out out of the drawer, and found where I had actually talked with them several months ago, and had decided at that time that their rates and services were comparable to Dish. Then was going to check Exede when the doorbell rang, and a neighbor wanted to talk with me about some windows and doors that he wants to replace. Talked a little bit, told him I would swing by and look at them, then asked what he uses for internet. Turned out that he has Exede, so he called me when he got home, and, there again, comparable rates for comparable services. So decided it made sense they would be competitively priced, and chose Dish simply because I already have their tv service. Again, looks good so far. They have to come back next week to set a pole, because I have never liked extra hols in roofs, but that should not be a problem. Again, thank you for all of the input. It helped get me moving.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: