How to use Chrome

Old 05-06-14, 05:14 PM
How to use Chrome

Somebody at work messed up my Firefox and put on Chrome..
How do I use it,, where do you put in my start up page?
Where are the help on top were is options tools the places i go to fix things out move things around...
Wish i could get my Firefox back.. It will not download I get a blue screen and it kicks me all the way out....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
Why cant you use FF? Why did someone at work mess you up??

Chrome is similar to FF. Should have a tool/options menu to change start page...

Here is chrome support page... I would say start reading...

https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en#topic=3227046

Old 05-06-14, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Did they remove Firefox or just add Chrome. How did they mess up Firefox. Usually you can just uninstall and reinstall without loosing anything.

Old 05-07-14, 04:34 AM
On the far right at the top are three small horizontal lines. That's the icon for a menu. Click on it, then click "Settings". It will open another tab with some of the options you can modify. Click "Show Advanced Settings" to see more.

Old 05-07-14, 04:52 AM
Thank you Rick that gets me there some say Chrome is even better than Firefox..
I liked Firefox pretty good so I will see
Tks

Old 05-07-14, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well you'd have to get used to Chrome anyway.. The new version of Firefox that just came out (29.0) looks EXACTLY like Chrome..

Now if you're running Windows 7 or 8, the System Restore function should be running by default, and it creates a daily checkpoint, so you should be able to go back and restore it to a point before your co-worker screwed you up. That's Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. It will show the latest one by default, so just check the box that says "Show More Restore Points" and pick the latest one before he messed with it. Voila, Firefox should be back.

Old 05-07-14, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't say exactly like Chrome Matt I do see some differences that make Firefox better in my opinion. Close to Chrome maybe but exactly no I don't think so.

Old 05-07-14, 03:14 PM
It's close enough that if Chrome hadn't originally ripped off Firefox's design, there might be a lawsuit over it, lol! It's just tit for tat at this point though.

Old 05-07-14, 06:44 PM
Only thing I go to Internet Options and make yahoo my start up page but I click n my chromne buttton and chrome comes up not my yahoo start up page.. its on my bookmake bar but does not come up.. Is it suppose to come up if I have in as my start up page??

Old 05-07-14, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
You have to set it as your homepage in Chrome.

Name:  SC36.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  26.3 KB

Old 05-08-14, 05:04 AM
I like Chrome, but I do see the results of its tracking in weird ads that accompany certain pages. My eclectic interests and search patterns must be really messing with its profiler.

FF did the same thing, but nowhere near as detailed.

Old 05-08-14, 10:50 AM
Install AdBlock Plus.

Make sure when it finishes installing and the "Annoying Ads are Now Blocked" page comes up, you click the "Filter Malware Domains" and the "Filter Tracking Sites" options to "On" (you can turn on the social media filter too, which blocks the Like/+1 buttons from showing up but some people like those - even though they are tracking bugs too) and then click the link in the word "disable" in the blurb at the top about non-intrusive advertising, and in the options window that comes up uncheck the box that says "Allow some non-intrusive advertising". Back a year ago I'd say let that stay, but Google paid big bucks to have their ads whitelisted, so now I say screw em. Block them all. You can still easily whitelist sites that you want to support.

Old 05-08-14, 11:54 AM
I guess then that AdBlock Plus will stop all cookies then? Just curious as to how it works exactly. I do take online surveys so I don't want them messed up.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 05-08-14 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-08-14, 01:02 PM
Im looking for that Chrome Settings tab and the history I dont find one like on your last page..

tKS

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-08-14 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Contact info not allowed
Old 05-08-14, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Fatdaddy...should be in the upper right...3 horizontal lines. Thats your menu...click to open..then select Settings.

Old 05-08-14, 01:20 PM
i found the settings tab on chrome start up page went through the steps im going back to see if it works..., guys im a older guy and not to swift on figuring stuff out.. Kids are coming home MDay so I will get one in here.. One is a Dr and one a Sports PT

Old 05-08-14, 01:26 PM
ABP doesn't do anything to cookies. It uses a constantly updated set of lists (called a subscription). When a page loads, ABP reads the source and looks for domains (*.doubleclick.net, *.scorecardresearch.com, etc) and key directory structures (such as "/adserve/, /ads/, /banners/, etc) that are used for serving ads and tracking your browsing, and filters them out of the page loading process.

I've used survey sites with no issue, but if you run into a problem, ABP can be disabled on any specific page (or entire domain) you want with two clicks..

Old 05-08-14, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Name:  SC37.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  12.5 KB

Old 05-08-14, 02:44 PM
Its now working FINE,, thanks i did put in that adblock plus last week but I still get pop up coming on. . I dont have a Icon for it looked in my control panel for it in the files but did not see it..
Do i need to activate it?

I just looked in my Downloads file and I do NOT see a Adblock Plus..
maybe it did not down load?? cause I SURE still get these pop ups ads

Old 05-08-14, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
If you have ABP installed you'll see a little red stop sign icon with ADP in the center on the same line as where the settings were found. You won't see it in programs (I don't think) because it is an add on to the browsers.

Try downloading again and carefully watch the prompts. Normally you have to download the setup file..then click on it to run it.

Old 05-09-14, 06:32 AM
Matt, it's my Google account that's doing the tracking. It's one of the paybacks for the apps and convenience of syncing across PCs and Android devices.

Old 05-09-14, 08:48 AM
Hey Ray can you show me a pic of what the red stop sign looks like??
If you have Adblock Plus?

Old 05-09-14, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Don't use AB in Chrome but here it is in Maxthon. Note to me it is just a small red blob when I look. This image is magnified 6X so it is clear and that is in addition to my default display set at 150% zoom.

Name:  SC44.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 05-09-14, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
ABP looks the same in FF and Chrome. Just like the stop sign Ray posted, except with ABP in white block letters in the center instead of the hand.

Old 05-09-14, 10:34 AM
you guys are something else to make it a whole easier to get around this puter..
Im sure going to download it when I get home from work tonight...

Old 05-11-14, 08:28 AM
All this started when this guy who talked me into putting Windows 7 in place of my Xp or what ever I had... Firefox would not load after he put on Windows 7
So with all you guys help I about got it all going THEN yesterday

I clicked on my folder that has all of my saved pictures of family and vac ect
and tried to run a video I had..

I click on a pic and it puts on a blue screen full of words and has delete and the computer SHUTS off
and reboots.. I can not click on a picture of any video
something comes up I need Windows X 9 video card or new diver....
same thing happens when I click on Firefox to open...

All of this because I went to Window 7 ultimate...
Gwad I got a ultimate fricking over doing that... gonna go back and see the guy who did it next week...

Now my computer is pretty old like over 5 years old I guess before Windows 7 was made up.