Pictures file

Old 05-07-14, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pictures file

I decided to upgrade to a new computer that has windows 8.1.

A friend transferred 'my picture 'folder to a DVD R CD. I need help in downloading/transferring this CD to "my picture" folder on this new computer.

My old computer had a picture window that i could open,but i have no idea
how to transfer these pics to my new computer.

Thanks for any help

Old 05-07-14, 04:06 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I assume you haven't installed Classic Shell yet? That will put the 'Pictures' button into the Start Menu like you are used to. Then just copy the contents of the DVD into that folder.

Otherwise from the Metro screen click Desktop, then click the folder icon in the taskbar, then when the explorer opens click the Pictures link under Libraries. Then copy the DVD into there.

Old 05-07-14, 04:14 PM
J
His issue is getting to the actual folder on the computer. It's not in the same folder on Vista/7/8 as it was on XP, and since 8 doesn't have the My Pictures link on the Start Menu like XP/Vista/7 does (hell it doesn't even have a link to the folder on the Metro screen, it just has that stupid photo viewer app), it's not straightforward how to get to it.. Reason #4323 people hate Windows 8.

Old 05-07-14, 07:31 PM
H
I don't like Windows 8 in any flavor either. I know Mike Lawrosa uses the classic shell and it is a bit of a help to him. Anything outside of Microsoft that anyone has worked on to make it more useful? Just curious I sure don't want Windows 8 but it would be nice if there is something really helpful out there. Just to re-state it too for anyone who likes Windows 8 I am glad you do and if it works for you great. Just not for me.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 05-07-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 08:15 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
This just baffles me. I was going to post for him to open the DVD in his file manager, highlight the photos (Ctrl+A), Ctrl+right click, and choose copy but this sounds totaly over the top complicated. Geeze. Glad I quit at ME.

Old 05-07-14, 08:27 PM
J
Uhrr.. That's what he needs to do. But he needs to find the folder to put them in - and it's not in the same place in 8 as it is in XP. Don't get your panties in a twist.

Old 05-07-14, 10:16 PM
My panties weren't really in a twist.<LOL>

Old 05-07-14, 11:15 PM
H
I answered my own question and suggest to Daswede and others to try the classic shell first as so far at least that seems to be the highest rated(although with a few flaws). There are other alternatives though as this Wikipedia article mentions and that are free too here is the link Comparison of Start menu replacements for Windows 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Some of these programs have their own flaws too but at least try to bring some function back to Windows 8.

I did look up one program listed that looked more promising than most but will not mention it. As I have no experience with any of the listed programs so my advice might not be good for you. Anyway all of these programs at least make it a bit easier to navigate through Windows 8 so that you can find your files easier. Matt perhaps you know about some of the listed programs and could offer advice on which you would also recommend. I know it would help others find their files easier.

Old 05-08-14, 02:40 AM
J
Don't use ANY of the paid ones. It's just stupid to pay anything for what you can get for free from another company.

I've used a few of them, and IMO none are as stable and straightforward to use as Classic Shell. They've also been around for a while (since Vista was launched - their original program made Vista look like XP), so I'm reasonably comfortable that they're not going to just bail on development in the middle of the night - which some I've tried have.

Old 05-08-14, 04:54 AM
Wow...................!!!

I didn't know that windows 8 was going to be such a hassle. I appreciate
all of your inputs.
I'll try all of your suggestions.

Wish i had my crummy old XP back!

Thank you all for responding to my question

Old 05-08-14, 06:28 AM
There are alternative OSes that you may find easier to use then Windows and they will work fine on your old computer but there is a learning curve. Only you can decide what is easiest for you. I'm biased so I'm hesitant to give advice and worse not knowledgeable enough to give much help if you tried another OS.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-08-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 07:26 AM
Thanks to all who offered your support. I'll post back with any possible solutions

Old 05-08-14, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 238 Posts
I'm hooked on my Ipad Air but I just went into my laptop with Windows8. OK, just look for the "App" on the main page that says "This PC" and that's where your Pictures folder is. If it's not on the main page, just click on that down arrow at the bottom left of the screen, and scroll thru all the boxes till you see it. Then you would right-click on it, and at the bottom where the taskbar is, you'll get several options. Either pin it to the Start button (which will put it on the main page, or you pin it to the taskbar, so you'll see it right away.

You can also click on the This PC to open it, then right-click on the Pictures folder and click on the "send to" on the drop down menu, and just send it to your desktop.
In case you haven't figured it out, there is a Desktop app on the main page which will take you to what looks like your Desktop from Win7, I think. Not sure if this is just available if you upgraded from 7 or not. If you don't see it, then I guess not, and you need to download that Classic Shell.

Also, anything that's on that app list (when you click on the bottom arrow) is everything that's on your computer. You can put anything that you use often, on your main page (as I told you how above) to access it quickly.

Hope this helps a little bit. It gets easier to use when you get used to it.

Old 05-08-14, 12:28 PM
H
If I ever do need to upgrade to Windows 8 and don't have a choice it is good to know that Classic Shell is the best out there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: