Opera Email

Old 05-08-14, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opera Email

Firefox is my email program for the past 15 years or so and I'm looking for an alternative. I got Thunderbird and it looks good but would like also to have a look at Opera however their download says "Browser" and I dont want to replace my Firefox Browser.

Is the Opera email embedded in their Browser?

BTW I dont want the MS Outlook

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Firefox is not an email client, nor does it have an email client 'embedded' in it. Thunderbird is Mozilla's email client. If you are getting your email in Firefox, then it is webmail. Webmail only runs in browsers - and it will look and work exactly the same regardless of what browser you're using.

My personal preference is to just use webmail. You can access it from anywhere with internet and the messages stay on their servers for archive purposes. When you use an email client, with most (free) mail services, you have to use POP3, which downloads the messages and stores them on your computer - then erases them from the server.. Meaning you can only access them from that computer, and if something happens to the computer, the messages are gone. If the mail service allows IMAP (usually a paid feature), then that works like webmail.. But most free services don't allow it.

Old 05-08-14, 12:04 PM
Sorry for the mistake, my current email is Foxmail

Old 05-08-14, 12:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the Opera email embedded in their Browser?
Technically Opera is an Internet suite not a browser. It contains a browser, email program, news reader (Usenet), and chat.

Old 05-08-14, 12:40 PM
Now I know why their download is so big, thanks Ray

Old 05-08-14, 01:24 PM
SeaMonkey I found out is sort of like Opera but run by Mozilla. Matt I have told programs like Thunderbird to keep messages on the server. I assume the program sends a signal to the server and it stays put. I use AOL's free e-mail as well as Verizon mail and have successfully retrieved e-mail while still keeping it on the server. I don't though like keeping e-mail stored it takes up valuable hard drive space and if it is on a laptop and the laptop is stolen your private e-mails are in someone else hands.

Old 05-08-14, 04:32 PM
Didn't know about SeaMonkey hedgeclippers but at 20MB download it includes a Browser and I find it strange that Mozilla has 2 different Browsers and emails. I wonder why they develop / maintain 2 different programs.

Old 05-08-14, 04:49 PM
Semonkey was the real Mozilla till the Devs screwed the Mozilla folks over and started pushing Firerfox (nee Firebird) instead of Mozilla Suite. Firefox until then was just the browser of Mozilla Suite separated out. The Supporters of Mozilla Suite kept working on it but then in the lowest blow of all were forbidden to call it Mozilla Suite. It was like a son kicking a mother out of her own house. Same goes for Thunderbird. Its mother also was Seamonkey (nee Mozilla Suite).

Old 05-08-14, 05:06 PM
Quite a complicated history Ray, I think I will stick to my FoxMail for now and if Windows 8.1 does not like it then I will go with T-Bird

Old 05-09-14, 02:30 PM
Thank you Ray for the information about Firefox and Seamonkey. Strange thing though at least on my Linux laptop I can't get Firefox to work right anymore it just hangs up. I have had to restart the system using Alt sysRq and getting it to basically shut down the emergency way. Chrome on Linux works fine as does Seamonkey but not Firefox. On Windows everything works fine as far as my browsers are concerned and Firefox gave me no problems until the latest update. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling no luck. I will post though on the PCLinuxOS forum when I get a chance to.

Old 05-09-14, 03:07 PM
HC, Seamonkey is still a fork of Firefox and Thunderbird but a couple of versions behind which means more dead bugs when a new Semonkey comes out and the worst improvements filtered out.