Well...still an issue

Old 05-08-14, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well...still an issue

Darn wireless kybd not working...trying to resolve that with Logitech...but tried to send a print to laser connected to other pc on network...didn't work. It recognized the printer and downloaded the driver...even shows it on network. Yes sharing is enabled both ways.

I can try moving the printer to a direct connection to the router...but makes room arrangement a problem.

Anything I'm missing?

Old 05-08-14, 04:43 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any error messages or does it just say it printed but never does? Does the printer show Online in the properties/spooler?

Are both computers set to the same Workgroup name (or set up with the same Homegroup password)? Is the Network Type set to Home/Work? If it's set to Public it won't work.

I rarely set up sharing through another computer. It always causes issues.. And the other computer has to stay on/awake for it two work. Much easier to just connect it to the router if it's got a built in network card.

Old 05-08-14, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
No, yes, yes.

Yes, yes..I dunno.

Yeah...Thats what I'm leaning to...furniture arrangement be damned.

Gotta get the other kybd working...fat fingers don't like this cheapie.

Old 05-08-14, 08:32 PM
H
Well I am not the tech Matt is but here is what I did. When I had a Windows XP laptop upstairs in my living room I had to log into my Windows 7 desktop. Both had the same printer driver installed and I would just click on the network group and then click on the desktop. I was then prompted for a log in password with the name of the computer and its password. You might have to do the same if the other computer doesn't have the same Windows operating system. You can choose to stay logged in or you can leave that unchecked and log in each time.

As to your Logitech keyboard Vic you have a wireless keyboard right? Have you checked the usb cord to make sure it is fully plugged in? If it is plugged in then maybe an internal wire going to that hub is loose? Both are certainly possible, anyway my Logitech keyboard is model K520 and it works great with Windows 7. I even downloaded software for it and it works great so if you do need a new keyboard then I suggest that model if they still make it. Been about 3 years or so since I built it, hard to believe it has been so long. If you still need help I will be around for a while and will help if I can.

Old 05-08-14, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Thx Hedge...Issue is that mouse works..kybd doesn't...kit... MS510 mouse, K350 kybd. Fingers TO FAT TO KEEP USING THIS ....DAMMIT...SEE WHAT I mean?

Old 05-08-14, 10:32 PM
H
Hmm so the mouse works but the keyboard doesn't. Maybe the batteries in the keyboard? I assume your keyboard works with AA batteries? I would check the batteries with a volt meter and see if they are dead.

Even new batteries can be dead and you can get a bad package. With the software I put on my desktop it tells me if my batteries are low and what is low keyboard or mouse. So far I haven't had to change the keyboards batteries since I bought the set but have seen indicators about the mouse so I change that battery about every six months or so.

Well you definitely ruled out the antenna cable so that isn't a problem and no usb problems either since the mouse works. Speaking of mice my mouse is a Logitech M310. I can't remember where I bought the set but don't think it was Amazon.com on that particular occasion.

Been a good set the keyboard even has a numeric keypad which is nice in an office setting. It really though isn't a driver issue as Windows 7 recognizes everything, as far as mice and keyboard are concerned, right away. The software Logitech has is just a convenience not a necessity but nice to have. Free too off of their website.

Old 05-09-14, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
I dunno what the prob is. not batteries 4 sure. I'll play with it some more today

Old 05-09-14, 08:17 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are they both Unifying compatible? This symbol would be on the dongle, keyboard, and mouse..

Have to ask because some are and some aren't depending on when they were manufactured - even among the same model.. If they are, did you run the Unifying software? That will usually fix sync issues where one device won't connect. If either or both DO NOT have that symbol, then they can't both connect to the one dongle, you have to use both dongles.

As for the printer, right click on the network icon in the tray, and select Open Network and Sharing Center.. Under Active Networks make sure it is listed as Home. If it's got the park bench, then it's blocking access to the printer.

Old 05-09-14, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Yep...that was it...forgot these aren't like the old USB plug and play that I had before. Actually found the issue just before you posted. Had to download the Unifying software.

Active network says Home Network. Access type...Internet Homegroup...Joined Connections..LAN

And don't ask me why...but a print test just worked. Went into devices and printers, deleted an old printer that was still listed, selected the laser as default, did a test. When I tried yesterday, I made sure the other PC and printer were on (I was in the same room), selected the laser from the available printers (but didn't make it the default), and no joy, though it said it sent the test page. Just now...the laser was greyed out in devices and printers...then after I woke up the other PC it was full color.

Anyway...I'm a happy camper. I'd rather leave the printer in it's physical location and just connect through the other PC...no big deal to walk 20 ft to make sure it's on, since I don't print that often.

Old 05-09-14, 12:48 PM
H
My printer a Lexmark Z1420 is supposed to work wireless but doesn't and I have to connect through my desktop whenever I print off of my laptop upstairs. Like you Vic though I really don't mind going to my desktop downstairs and connecting that way. Maybe some day when I get rich again, hah hah, I will buy a printer that doesn't have to be connected and hopefully the wireless will work. Everything else is fine on it though and it does a decent job printing photos so I can't complain. Anyway I am glad now that everything is working well for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: