Phone Or Possibly Data Plug ? Or,...?

Old 05-12-14, 08:13 AM
Phone Or Possibly Data Plug ? Or,...?

Hello,

Seems like several Sub-Forums here are applicable to my question, so not too sure how to handle. I know double-posts are a no-no. Suggestions ?

Question: I have been looking at all the outlets in the house, and have come across this one in the Bedroom. Seems like a Phone one, but the normal phone (4-cond.) Plug will not go in. Seems just a bit too big.

I tried to Attach here to my Post a pix of the wall Jack, but it won't let me.
Forum rules, I guess.

Any way of my showing the pix ?
If so, real specifics, please. Not too sharp with PC "stuff"

Without it, just about impossible to describe the Jack and Plug, and my question.
Suggestions ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-14, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Old 05-12-14, 10:16 AM
Phone Plug, or...? Data Plug ?

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  20.9 KB

Hello,

First time I ever uploaded a pix; hope it works.

Seems like several Sub-Forums here are applicable to my question, so not too sure how to handle. I know double-posts are a no-no. Suggestions ?

I am going to try to Attach to my Post here a smallClip showing an illustration of what I am asking about.

Question: I have been looking at all the outlets in the house, and have come across this one in the Bedroom. Seems like a Phone one, but the normal phone (4-cond.) Plug will not go in. Seems just a bit too big.

Note the round bezel it is in. Have never seen this before.

Anyone have any idea what it is ? Might be "quite" old ?
Data, or...?

Much thanks,
Bob

Old 05-12-14, 11:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never seen one like that, but it does look like a regular RJ-14 phone jack. It only has four pins that I can see, and it's definitely not narrow enough to be RJ-22 'handset' style.. It's also not a 6-pin DEC MMJ because the release tab would be offset to the right instead of centered.. Aside from the 'handset' style jacks, I don't believe there are any modular jacks/plugs that are narrower than a standard RJ-14.

Does the bezel rotate or come off? It could be a guard against accidental removal, and if that's the case you wouldn't be able to insert the plug with it in place..

Old 05-12-14, 03:44 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Matt, you are showing your age, or rather, lack of age.

Those were the first of the "modular" jacks and they replaced the old four-pin jacks. They are more likely as not an RJ-11 which is the same as an RJ-14 except only four position/contact. A standard telephone plug should fit although possibly not a six position plug. I might even have one or two of those old jacks in my junk, if it wasn't part of the mass amount of telephone junk I sent to the landfill a few months ago.

Old 05-12-14, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
I'd agree with Furd. It should be an RJ11 jack and should take a standard phone cord without a problem. I'm not sure why a standard plug wouldn't fit. I have run into some that are a bit tighter, but they still fit.

You can confirm by opening it up. You'll more than likely find a small gauge (22ga) wire with red/green/black/yellow. If it really doesn't fit even trying again, you can replace it with a newer style RJ11/RJ14 receptacle.

Old 05-12-14, 08:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've seen 4 pins before. I rip them out all the time. Lots of old buildings here..

But I can tell just looking at the pic, that absolutely has four pins, not two. So it's an RJ-14. And RJ-11, RJ-14, and RJ-25 plugs are all exactly the same size and all have six 'pin slots' in the top. The only thing that differentiates them are the number of wires connected to them, regardless of the number of physical gold pins it has.. So if you were to take an RJ-25 plug and crimp it onto a two-conductor (red/green) flat cable, it would be an RJ-11 (6P2C). If you crimped it onto a BRGY cable, it would be an RJ-14 (6P4C).. And if it were crimped to a WBRGYB cable, it would be an RJ-25 (6P6C)..

There's absolutely no reason any 6P plug should not fit in there.

Old 05-12-14, 08:44 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Okay, okay, it's a RJ-14. I lost my USOC book more than twenty years ago. The only reason I can think of why a "standard" modular plug won't fit is because of what Zorfdt wrote, some are just plain tight. I have found that to be true on occasion.