Windows update.

Old 05-14-14, 01:40 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Windows update.

Tonight (this morning) while posting to various threads I got the yellow shield with the exclamation point stating I had windows updates to install. I am running XP pro and I know that MS has stated that as of April 8 there will be no more support and no more updates of XP.

So, is this REALLY a Microsoft update or is it perhaps some kind of malware masquerading as a genuine MS update? I haven't allowed it to install although it might self-install when I shut down.

Old 05-14-14, 03:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should never trust your taskbar. Always run windows updates from the program in your program list. That being said, if you have turned on Microsoft updates, you will continue to see updates for various programs (Internet Explorer, Office, etc.) via the tool.

Old 05-14-14, 08:29 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There was a patch to cover that gigantic security hole in IE (the one that had Homeland Security telling everyone not to use it) which would have been pushed yesterday if it hadn't already been installed. Yesterday was Patch Tuesday, which also does include Office 2k7 and higher (2k3 was retired 4/8 too) - so you will see those - but there will not be any updates to IE if MS can help it.

While I have seen malware that disguises itself as an update icon for Windows, Java, Flash, etc (I even fell for it once), malware can't install on shutdown like that. So don't worry about that. Just do the update manually.

Old 05-14-14, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I ran the taskbar update thing with XP, but I had it set to notify only.

Old 05-14-14, 11:53 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Thanks, guys. I used the shutdown without installing option and this morning it isn't there. Maybe it self-installed when I booted up, I don't know.

Matt, I thought I got that IE patch a couple of weeks ago, I know there was an update that came out just before the dead date. I rarely use IE but maybe that doesn't make any difference.

I'll go to the MS site and see about the latest updates.

Old 05-14-14, 12:09 PM
J
Yeah the patch has been available for manual install for over a week, but it was not a 'push' update on XP until yesterday. Only 7 and 8 got it pushed early.

Old 05-14-14, 12:17 PM
H
I think it depends too on how much you are using your computer. If it is on everyday then you may see the occasional patch but not to the operating system itself. Windows 98 was like that for a while with little tiny patches here and there that Microsoft felt obligated to do. I think they feel if they don't then the government may try to break them up and may yet do so. Depending on who is in the White House at the time and whether they still have other friends in Washington.

Old 05-18-14, 11:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

I too got those patches as updates. Supposedly as a result of that heart bleed or whatever it's called, virus.??? MS did the right thing this time for the benefits of all it's customers and what's in it's own best interests too. Regardless of whom is in political office or friends in Washington...

The question might be what is meant by "Support." Phone support, FAQ DIY web site or email support?

Or does "Support" mean MS will still continue to update to the software with patches to plug up the holes in XP? My guess is yes they will. Why? Because there are so many computers still running some version of XP. Both as home computers and company computers. Highly doubt they would allow the OS be subjected to hackers at the company or industry levels. Make sense?

My Two Cents....

Edit Note:
More info on the subject here:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...continued.html

Old 05-18-14, 06:43 PM
H
I doubt very seriously though that support is going to last much longer as I just recently had a notice that Microsoft Security Essentials will not be supported much longer on my old Windows XP laptop. Not that it matters much I now have a Dell Inspiron that I bought used and that is running Windows 7. A far better laptop than my old Dell Latitude with a much faster processor. I assume that in less than a year all support for Windows XP will be gone.

Old 05-19-14, 07:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Question imo still remains unanswered..... Which is it??? Anyone really know???

The question might be what is meant by "Support." Phone support, FAQ DIY web site or email support? Or does "Support" mean MS will still continue to update to the software with patches to plug up the holes in IE?

JerseyMatt is correct.

Correction Above Made...
Not XP. Changed from XP to IE.
My error...

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-28-14 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 11:47 AM
J
Technically it was a hole in IE, not XP.

Old 05-28-14, 07:41 AM
H
First all updates have a code. You can check that code on the Microsoft website. For example KB13259. This will tell what it is for and for what OS.

Also if you run across problems on the XP machine that you don't know how to deal with. Sometimes a system restore will bring the machine back to a certain date and get rid of the malicious software.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: