This is getting old! (Bank Login Problem)

Old 05-15-14, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is getting old! (Bank Login Problem)

It's getting late in the day, and i still can't log into my NEW windows 8 computer online checking account. Been trying for 2 weeks. Ya,!!! i know its cockpit error ,but ???

Then,my printer stops working.I checked the web on this,and it seems my printer is NOT compatible with windows 8

Printer is 3 yrs. old, and computer is brand new.

Sorry for the venting on youse!:No Beer 4U:

Old 05-15-14, 01:39 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Sounds like you need something easier to use than Windows. Do you still have your old computer? If so install Linux on it and you will be able to probably do everything you need to do.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-15-14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 01:55 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're telling a Windows guy who is having issues with Windows that Linux is easier?? LOL!!

Old 05-15-14, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
How did you verify the printer? Did you go to the manufacturer website and check for a new driver?

As to the checking account..there shouldn't be an issue from the PC causing that. I've never had an issue logging in to various accounts from any OS as long as a compatible browser is used. Have you called your bank customer support?

Old 05-15-14, 02:05 PM
You're telling a Windows guy who is having issues with Windows that Linux is easier?? LOL!!
Yes, Got to watch the snap comments. Came back to delete but you'd already replied. Darn sure couldn't help him with Linux so I shouldn't have suggested it.

Old 05-15-14, 04:26 PM
I went to HP's web help window, and down loaded all updates that were available,uninstalled and re-installed twice.

The computer is brand new. I went to the bank with the log in issues, and was able to log in my account on their computer after they asked me to log in on their 'puter.

By the ,thanks to all who replied.

Old 05-15-14, 05:22 PM
How many browsers have you tried? If you only tried IE try Firefox and Chrome. Remember accessing the bank isn't a function of Windows or your computer. It is a function of the browser.

Old 05-15-14, 06:06 PM
I tried chrome with the same results

Old 05-15-14, 06:08 PM
J
The version of Windows - and for the most part the browser - shouldn't have anything to do with your checking account. What is the error it's giving you?

Is your system clock correct? If it's not, then the site won't be able to establish a secure connection and your login will fail.

Old 05-15-14, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
What printer do you have? I find it hard to believe there isn't drivers for it. Well, yes I can. I remember Vista.

Old 05-15-14, 07:17 PM
K
What does it say when you try logging in? You're not really giving us any information. Based on this: Windows 8 Compatibility with HP Printers - HP Support Forum - 2004797, your printer is probably more than 7 years old. 7 years ago consumer computers were still being manufactured with floppy disk compatibility. It's time for a new printer...

Old 05-15-14, 07:56 PM
J
Uhh he said his printer is 3 years old. What would give you the idea that it is more than 7 years old, or that a floppy drive has anything to do with this? There is plenty of NEW equipment that refuses to work with Windows 8.

He also said it 'stopped working', which implies that it was working with the computer in question at some point.

Old 05-15-14, 10:32 PM
H
Unfortunately printer manufacturers don't always want to compile new drivers for their older printers. They are more focused on their newest printer and not so much on the newest OS and whether that 3 year old printer will work with it or not.

Old 05-16-14, 12:43 PM
L
I built a new PC for my parents and put windows 8 on it. Their PIXMA MP450 that worked just fine on Windows 7 did not work AT ALL in windows 8. Even force installing the Win7 Drivers.

Of course it is the same price to buy the ink as it is to buy a new printer that comes with ink. So the problem was easily remedied.

Old 05-16-14, 05:21 PM
J
LOL! Why would you intentionally put Windows 8 on a custom built computer??

Old 05-18-14, 12:11 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hedge got it right in post number 13.... Been down that road myself. Printer manufacturer did not write soft ware drivers for the older printer running newer windows 8+ OS.

Solution was to buy new printer and be done with it.

Jersey Matt (#9) got it right too!...

Can't log into your bank account? Yet you can get on-line? You logged in here...LOL!

Seems way to many blame the browser first or all to soon. If you can't log in to a bank account with I.E. personally speaking, you won't be able to with any browser. Banks log in page is a web site! Just like any other site that requires a log in.

I must be thinking to logically here...

My Two Cents.

Old 05-18-14, 02:00 PM
Most browsers can be disguised to look like other browsers to the web site by changing the user-agent-string. Example: How To Change the User Agent String in Firefox

Old 05-18-14, 04:32 PM
I appreciate everybody's input to my request for help on this.

Today i was refused log in to my web bank acct.again. My partner shares the same joint account web page,but has no problem logging in to the account.

The only difference is i recently updated my new computer from XP to windows 8.1.

I went to the bank i have my account with, and the account manager had no trouble logging in to my account without all the logging in from another web,establishing a new log in page,password change,you name it.

The only changes i have made is the password. But hat worked when i had my father open my account from his computer.

Other than re-turn this computer that's under warranty,any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 05-18-14, 04:46 PM
As a test turn off your firewall and any AV program and try again.

Old 05-18-14, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 307 Votes on 243 Posts
Did you try Firefox? I've had problems logging in to some websites where I have an account (not banks, but still), and nothing happens. However, when I go in using Firefox, I have no problems.

Old 05-18-14, 05:04 PM
Just got a call from bank. They think 'cookies' might be the issue, and want me to send them my
browser info.

If you don't hear from me again,iv'e probably been banned

Old 05-18-14, 06:29 PM
H
I think I understand your issue better. With the bank that I use you have a log in i.d. and a site key where you put your password. Usually you have to answer a security question if your browser is not recognized and you have to check remember this computer. Sometimes your anti-virus software will get that cookie and then it is disposed of. You then need to re-authenticate your computer so that the bank recognizes your computer. I would clear all cookies on your browser and then try to log in and re-authenticate your computer.

Old 05-19-14, 05:29 AM
hedgeclippers,

I think you may be right. I got a e-mail from my Bank account mentioning
other accounts that were having the same issue,and 'cookies' issues were mentioned.

I'll contact them,and post back.

Thanks for the reply

Old 05-21-14, 07:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hello: daswede

Still awaiting your reply. Problem resolved or still the same?

FYI: Here is what I found out by calling my bank.

Some banks have a new security feature. The log in site identifies your computer on their security software. The tech called a customers computer a "terminal." If their security software does not or cannot identify your terminal (computer) it will not allow you to log in.

Your new terminal (computer) has a different ID number. Which is stored on the banks date banks or some place like that. That's why you can log in using your old computer and your roommate can still log in on his computer.

Somewhere along the line you should have been given the reason why the log in failed the first time attempting to log in using the new computer. That's according to the tech I recently spoke with. Also told me more banks will begin using this type or some type like it, of security method of terminal ID. Layered and multiple security features work best.

In their works not mine, has absolutely nothing to due with any browser. All to due with the terminal (computer) making the request to log in. Defeats hackers attempting to log in as you on hackers terminal. My own daughter had the very same problem recently when she bought her new computer...

IMO the banks new system of computer ID'ing security works...

Hope this explanation helps and good luck.

Old 05-21-14, 08:30 AM
I'm still here fighting this thing.

My next point of action is to the computer to a repair shop and
beg for mercy.

....I will post back when,and if i get this straightened out

Thanks everyone for your support

Old 05-21-14, 08:51 AM
Admin Emeritus
daswede

Might want to try this first before going to repair shop. Might work.

Clear everything. Cookies, temp files, cache, all passwords etc. Everything. Even delete any bank short cut saved, etc. Restart computer. Should now have the computer as if it was first time used.

In the address bar type in banks home web site. Then click their log in link. Type in user name and password. It will fail but you should get some type of message or wording stating why. Should be bank cannot identify the terminal (computer). Foils hackers. Their terminal fails...LOL! As it should. Next step is below.

In order to identify your new computer, you should be asked to answer your security questions. Only you would know which question >you< selected and the answers to it or them. May be or should be multiples in many cases. Then banks security system means impossible for a hacker to open your account even if they or anyone else has your log in user name and password.

Once you provide the correct answers to the security questions >you< selected and provide the correct answers to all those questions will the computer you're using be identified on banks security software. Make Sense? Hope so. Worked for daughter recently and myself in the recent past. Hopefully as well for you too! Post back results. Be interested to know and maybe all reading this thread can all learn more if all is done, correct and works.

FYI Edited In Note.
Very possible there are to many failed log in attempts. You're locked out or could be locked out as a result. Happened to me with a national bank I once had. No body was able to help... No longer have that bank. Closed all accounts and moved to another nation wide (to big to fail) type bank.

Solution in the mean time was to simply log in using a new members name and password. Imagine that. Their own techs never thought of it nor suggested it either... I did and it worked until I closed accounts with them. Try another user name and password registration.

Might work for you too....

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-21-14 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 12:16 PM
Yup!! I'm blocked now post back post back later

Old 05-21-14, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 307 Votes on 243 Posts
Sounds like you attempted to log in too many times after being denied.
The bank should be able to reset everything for you over the phone. I would give them a call and they'd be able to do that right away. Then you'll just start over with a new id and password.

Old 05-21-14, 12:56 PM
H
Sounds like you attempted to log in too many times after being denied.
I think you are absolutely right Becky. Daswede what you need to do is clear your cookies on the browser you are using and then go to your bank tell them your problem and have them reset your password. The same thing happens here if you try to log in too many times but the difference is that it only times you out for a few minutes. With a bank they can lock you out until you get it reset by them.

Probably they will take you to one of their cubicles and after they clear things on their end they will have you use their terminal and put in a password you only know. Maybe even change your site key which is usually a picture of something you select. Many banks now want people to change their password because of that heart bleed scare you have heard about in the news. Just recently I heard about e-bay wanting people to change their password because someone hacked into their system. It is a real mess and an inconvenience and I am glad it is fixed at least for now.

Old 05-21-14, 04:38 PM
This is incredible!!

I went to a computer software company this morning,as i assured these Gurus could solve the issue......Wrong!

Tonight i Went to Microsofts web site . Went thru their blah,blah rigmarole.They
had my account and i just had to confirm my info and such.
After filling out a new name, and log in data,which they confirmed. I go to log into my account and..................you guessed it.

Have a pleasant evening

Old 05-22-14, 10:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

I go to log into my account and..................you guessed it.
????????????????????????

I'm suppose to guess?... Everyone suppose to take a guess???....

Everyone sooner or later has been known to guess wrong....

Care to clarify??? Explain? What resulted????????....

You're absolutely correct. This is getting old. Time for a conclusion.

Old 05-22-14, 11:11 AM

Thanks every one for hanging in there

Nighty,nighty..........

Old 05-22-14, 02:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thanks every one for hanging in there
So many donated their time and knowledge base in a sincere effort to help you and that's it?

Seems like a contrived non issue based out of shire boredom...

Oh Well.

At least other members reading this thread just might get some problems like this one resolved.

Maybe you are right. It's over and done.

Nighty Nighty.....BYE BYE and sleep tight....

Title Changed and Thread Closed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: