Fire fox. Cant open URL..

Old 05-15-14, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 69 Posts
Fire fox. Cant open URL..

I reset FF already to try to fix, and cant figure out why I cant open the URL of say an image I am looking up.

Usually there is a link that takes me where the image is. I used to be able to open them but now when I click...nothing... Its frustrating as I cant find an answer..

Anyone have an idea?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  20.5 KB

Old 05-15-14, 08:53 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Mike what was the URL. I can't read from the picture.

Old 05-15-14, 08:53 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Any Google image or just certain images? It could be the server the image is hosted on that is the problem.

That stated, I do think this latest version of FF has a few bugs.

Old 05-15-14, 09:49 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is that an add-on? I've never seen anything like what you have circled..

Old 05-15-14, 10:18 PM
H
It looks to me like Mike was pointing to something using picture editing software. I have had some problems on one of my Linux laptops with Firefox but not with Windows 7. I did want to vote on something on another website but couldn't see the stars that were on the website to vote on something. But haven't had the same issues as far as going to a particular website is concerned. Only thing I can think of is your Anti-virus program blocking you from a malicious website. Or maybe it is set too high as far as security is concerned.

Old 05-15-14, 10:32 PM
J
Yeah I know that, I am talking about what he has circled. A link in the bottom left is not a standard feature of Firefox.

Old 05-15-14, 10:37 PM
H
Well to me it looks like something the website itself was generating but the picture is not clear enough. If they could allow for bigger image files here then it would be easier to see what is going on. Only Mike can really clear this mystery up by describing what he sees.

Old 05-16-14, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
OK.. Thanks for the responses..This is what you see.

I use yahoo as my start browser. If I want to find a picture for this site, I type in say, PRV valve.

I click on images in my browser, and only pictures will come up in the search.

If I click on the picture it makes it bigger, and lists the website its from in the lower left.

That click-able URL does not work for any picture while browsing in FF the way I describe.

( It works fine in IE)

Hope you all understand what I mean.

When you search images in yahoo as I do you can hover your mouse over the pic too. This allows you to see the URL that the pic is from. This lets me weed out sites I dont want to use. Then once I click on that image is shows as my first posts pic...

But the main problem is those links, though still clickable, do nothing when clicked. They no longer open a window to that URL..

I can click on anyone of thos pics I show below and not one link will work..
( Used to work. Been search like that for years)

Name:  Untitled111.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  40.8 KB

Old 05-16-14, 06:09 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
As a work around, you can right click on the image & choose to open the link in a new window or copy the link & paste it yourself. There are also a number of other choices.

Old 05-16-14, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
you can right click on the image & choose to open the link in a new window
That does not work pulpo. Takes me to an identical window as in my first post pic..

But I did forget to mention, if I right click the pic and open in a private window, the link works..

It has to be a setting or something... I went through every item in the tools menu and cant find anything related.

Old 05-16-14, 08:10 AM
H
This to me Mike looks like maybe an add on problem with your browser. I tried an experiment here using my office desktop first and going to Yahoo. I also searched for the exact same thing. On my office desktop apparently I don't have do not track on but on my laptop I do. Both the desktop and my laptop have Foxy Proxy and Toggle Cookies. Up here I had to block cookies and in my basement office I didn't. So it is either do not track or an add on that is causing you grief. That is the only solution I can think of right now.

On my desktop I had no problems doing the search but my laptop did have problems with the search some until I blocked cookies. Once cookies were blocked then the first result page you showed worked.

Old 05-16-14, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Its not the search issue hedge. Its the ability to open that URL at the bottom left of the pic.

I have no add ons.

I tried all three options in the tracking tab in tool menu of FF, and still the same results...

Old 05-16-14, 10:56 AM
J
Ok I don't use Yahoo, so I didn't realize it was part of their search page.

That said, I just tried it, and while the hover-over links don't work (they don't change to the hand cursor), when I click on a picture and try the link in the bottom left, it does work for me.

The fact that it works in Private Window makes me think you have an add-on or plugin that you don't know about.. Go into Menu > Addons and look under the Extensions and Plugins tabs to make sure nothing has silently installed itself. Clickjackers are notorious for this. Addons are usually disabled in private browsing, so that could explain why it works there.

Also try going to Menu > (?) > Restart with Add-ons Disabled, and see if that works.

Old 05-16-14, 10:57 AM
H
No I didn't think it was a search issue but I wanted to duplicate as much as I possibly could on my computers your problem. Only thing I can think of that may have caused your problem is that experimental beta you had on your computer. There still may be something there that is causing problems. I never used to say this about Firefox but it has been buggy of late and not as reliable. If you like Firefox why not also try Seamonkey it is related but different to Firefox and works better on my Linux laptop.

It is funny too because I switch hard drives so I can test different pieces of software and on the same laptop that has Linux one of the hard drives will allow Firefox to work and the other one will not. Both hard drives get updates often too. Anyway Seamonkey is more than a browser it is a suite of things that also includes an e-mail client. Here is a link to Seamonkey The SeaMonkey® Project . You have tried about everything else short of wiping the OS and starting over again which I don't advise and believe that this may solve your problem.

I Agree with Matt but sometimes it is just a corrupt install you can't do anything about too. I would try his suggestion first and then see how things work from there.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 05-16-14 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-16-14, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Only thing I can think of that may have caused your problem is that experimental beta you had on your computer.
I got rid of the beta...

The fact that it works in Private Window makes me think you have an add-on or plugin that you don't know about..
I have no add ons... Additionally I reset FF and it still dont work..

Im trying to figure out what to type to search for help. As its complicated to explain.. I been trying to find info in FF help menu to no avail..

Old 05-16-14, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well doing a scan of my computer with super anti spyware and so far 295 tracking cookies came up... Not sure how I got that many. usually just a few come up when I scan monthly...

So Ill see what happens when scan is done and I delete them...

If you like Firefox why not also try Seamonkey it is related but different to Firefox and works better on my Linux laptop.
No offense hedge, but im a windows guy and I see no reason to change browsers because something does not work as it had...

Old 05-16-14, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
OK sorry to bother you guys with this post... I assume it was one of the 295 tracking cookie's I had...LOL..

All is good now...

It just never occurred to me to do a scan. I did not think tracking cookies would exhibit that behavior...

Thanks to all who replied...

Old 05-16-14, 01:17 PM
H
No Offense taken Mike. Keep it in mind though in case you ever have further problems I personally like to keep several browsers available. I bet one of those tracking cookies was more akin to a virus. I try to scan at least once a week on all of my Windows computers to keep a check on viruses. I get lazy about it on my living room desktop located next to the tv though and don't do it as often as I should. Right now I am on my Linux laptop and I reset Firefox and now everything seems fine for me too. I am glad everything is working well now!

Old 05-16-14, 03:05 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
My AVG does a scan in the background every day. I also have my Firefox set to dump cookies when it closes and I completely shut down the computer every night (morning?) before going to bed. Yeah, it means I have to re-log in to any sites requiring a log in but it is a small price for me to pay.

Old 05-16-14, 05:18 PM
J
Cookies shouldn't have had anything to do with your issue. The malware scans call them 'tracking cookies' to make them sound sinister and make themselves look like the hero for removing them - but really all cookies do is let a site 'remember' you.. For example when you login here, doityourself.com saves a unique cookie, and then the next time you come here it remembers you and keeps you logged in. Sites with shopping carts are another example. If they can't set cookies, they can't remember what items you have in your cart.

But at least you got it working.

Old 05-16-14, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks matt... Most tracking cookies are only yellow highlighted with SAS but there were two or three that were highlighted red...

I think the red ones were the issue...

Did not look through item by item...

Old 06-12-14, 04:38 PM
S
Anybody having problems with Mozilla Firerox version 29.0.1? Right now is very slow in my environment (using Win7 Enterprise). Thanks!

Old 06-12-14, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Hi seth and welcome... There is an update .. FF is on version 30. Go to menu/ help /about FF to update...

If its just on this site it may be here only...

Please start a new thread if you continue to have issues...

Old 06-12-14, 05:26 PM
S
Thanks a lot lawrosa!, I did what you describe me here and seems like my browser is now back to normal and working as usual!

Old 06-12-14, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Cool... glad it worked out...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: