silent speakers

Old 03-10-01, 08:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

My external speakers fell silent on my desktop PC...I checked the plug, ran the diagnostic (indecipherable to me) but still no sound. Anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-01, 09:23 AM
Check the following...

1. Is the specker symbal still in the system box at bottom right of screen.

2. Check START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/
click on system icon
click on device manager tab
click on the + to the left (to expand selection) of any that mentions sound (likely called sound, video and game controllers)
is there anything listed with a ? or a ! beside it. Is there a sound card listed ?

3. Do you have speakers that are externally amplified ?
If you have a basic pair of speakers that are not externally amplified, try them .

4. Try your existing speakers on anothre computer.

5. Make certain no damage to the speaker wire.

6. Double left click on the speaker icon and make sure that the volume or anything else is not muted, and the volume and all level controls are half way up ( for this check) .

I assume you are certain that you are plugged into the correct conenctor on th esound card (some cards has symbals that are hard to read).

Basicly if you confirm that the computer is indicating no problems with the drivers, all level controls are not muted and not set to min., you haev confirmed it is not a problems with the speakers (try speakers on another computer), and perhaps try another set of speakers on your computer.

Well the only thing left is replace the sound card.

What operating system are you running ? and cpu ?

Old 03-10-01, 11:31 AM
Email received as follow:

this is the message:

Thank you for your detailed suggestions. I tried everything but plugging the speakers into another computer (I don't have another one) and nothing has worked. However I do have another question: you stated "do you have a sound card" I'm sure I do, but how can I tell?

Thanks again.

If you had sound at any point in time , there is a logical place to conenct the speakers to on the computer, then you must have either a sound card or a the sound ciruits built onto the motherboard itself.

I have lost a sound card myself before that it esentially did the same thing as you are experienceing in that all indications was the computer thought a sound card existed and drivers were in, but no sound, I replaced the card.

But I just wanted to eliminate any other possibility first as I don't want you to spend money if another solution or cause can be found. To know if you have onboard sound or a sound card that plugs into the motherboard, one of the easiliest ways to determine that would be take the cover off the computer and look , see where the connections for sound are on the outside of the computer, now look at the inside , if you see that the board that the conenctors are on is plugged into another much larger board, then it is a separate sound card. If you find that the conenctors are part of the main board or on a very small card with a ribbom cable conecting to the main baord then the sound is on board the mother board. I am NOT refering to the tiny ribbon or wire that goes between the sound card and the cd rom. There is ways around a sound section failure on the motherbaord and use an sound card.

So from what you gather from what you said is that all drivers appear to be in place, no sound settings are set to min or muted. Then I only thing I want to be certain of is that there is no problem with the speakers, or in the case of an externally amplified speakers - a problem with the external amp. If no external amp, and just a basic set of speakers then there is no external amp to fail.

If you are certain there is no problem with the speakers or the wire to the speakers , they were conencted to the correct jack on the sound card, and everything I previously said checks out , then chances are you have a sound card failure.

Oh there is one more thing I want to ask, did this failure just happen out of the blue , or did it happen immediately after a software install or uninstall.

Repost what you find.

Old 03-10-01, 11:57 AM
One final final thing before you commit to a new card after you have checked and done everything else that I have said. Right down the name of the existing card, and if you already have the drivers on a cd or floppy, or get the correct drivers from the internet, and then delete the current drivers and let the system find the card again and install the drivers. If that doesn't work then replace the card. If you are not sure how to do this then I will tell you, just ask.

Old 03-10-01, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lightbulb

Heck, I just did a reinstall of Win98 on my friend's computer and the little speaker cone was right back in the systray, sounds alive!!

-Chris

Old 03-10-01, 01:18 PM
Are you refering to the poster, or another situation. If you are then that is good news. Usually if everything else I mentioned on this thread is checked and if even though the drivers appear to be there and windows is not giving any indication of a problem in device manager, if you take out the drivers, (listing in device manager), let windows find the card and reinstall it,and you know the speakers are ok,nothing is muted or set down, what is left ???
-sound card ... . I did have one instance that a friends newly installed network card had to be moved to another PCI slot before it would work properly but I don't think this would b eit as it is not a new install/working before. I would hate to blow and redo a system that exibits no other problem, there is times when certain problems where that is the best choice. I try to look at as many options as I can think of as I would hate to have someone spend their money needlessly.

Old 03-12-01, 09:07 AM
The original poster of this thread, philanthropist, and my friend both had the same thing happen: One day they turned on their computers, and their sound disappeared.

I checked my friends "Device Manager", under System, and his sound drivers had disappeared for no apparent reason. The reinstall of his OS cured all.

-Chris

Old 03-13-01, 09:14 PM
Visiting Guest
jack's suggestion

How can I tell if my systems still has a sound card in the device drivers?

Old 03-14-01, 05:38 AM
Lightbulb

If you go into "Device Manager" under control Panel, it will tell you what drivers are being used for sound cards, etc. If you click the "Update Drivers" it will allow you to see what drivers are available on your hard drive, or allow you to install drivers, say, from your Win98 or 95 CD.

-Chris

Old 03-14-01, 05:57 AM
In my first post I mentioned about checking the device manager. If a ! or ? appears beside the device name there is a problem with it, likely drivers not installed properly or there is a conflict somewhere. If there is no ? or ! beside the device name , it would apear at least according the windows system that it thinks the sound card is working properly. If no devices is listed it doesn't know there is a sound card existing yet. I assume your computer has a plug and play bios, most all do now, 486 did not, most everything after that did.

I am assuming that you did check to see if nothing is muted and turned down to min.

One thing that you can do is when you check the device manager and list the devices under sound...
is to highlight each device under sound, and delete it. Now reboot the computer , windows should find new hardware by itself and try to install it, it may ask for location of drivers. Hopefully you still have the driver disk/cd or can download it from the internet before doing this, (unzip any compressed driver files also).

After you have resorted to deleting and reinstalling the drivers, and there is no ? or ! beside the names in device manager, and confirmed that the speakers are not the problem. Then the next thing I would suspect is the sound card. You can get cheap sound cards for $16 to $25, if it is a more expensive card than the cost is a little harder to chew on, and if that is the case it is inportant to make sure everything is tried.

Another poster said they re-installed the system and got the sound back, yes that will do it (if the sound card is ok)but usually just deleting the sound card listing in device manager rebooting and reinstalling will usually accomplish it without the extra work assuming that you are experiencing no other problems. If it doesn't find it on its own, you can go to add new hardware in control panel, and try it there. If there is a plug and play bios it should find the card on its own.

Moving the card to another slot should also kick in the FOUDN NEW HARDWARE sequence.

I have lost one sound card, I just replaced it and everything came back to life, I only use cheap 16bit sound cards so it wasn't much expense to replace.

Old 03-19-01, 07:22 AM
Email received as follows...

Hello dkerr,

OK here's what's happening: I definitely have confirmed the problem is not with the speakers themselves - they work fine on a laptop I checked them on.

I followed your other suggestions and did find a curious item in Device Manager: there is a question mark next to Other Devices, within which there is an item called PCI Serial Controller with both a ? and a !. Might that have something to do with this?

When I check my Sonic Impact A3D PCI Audio device manager properties (under Sound, Video and Game Controllers) it shows that the device is working properly.

Also, one other problem with the suggestion to delete and reinstall the driver - I don't have any disk or CD for this. The O/S was preloaded with my PC when I bought it on ubid and I got no disks at all.

So....what should I do now?

Thanks again!

Well at least we have eliminated one possible cause. Please write down the exact names word for word of what is listed under Sound, video and game controler devices, I am trying to locate a web site where the drivers can be found, I can't seem to find it by searching for "Sonic Impact A3D PCI Audio" what was you operating system again, I don't have the thread opened and forget what you said. Email me these exact names or post them.