Does it ever end? (Desktop Died!)

Old 05-26-14, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does it ever end? (Desktop Died!)

Wifes little desktop PC (eMachines EL1358) apparently died in the night. She used it when she came home from work last night...dead this morning.

Plugged into UPS/surge suppressor.

No noise or any fan movement when power switch pressed. (it was never turned off, just in sleep). Checked the on switch, good. Pulled the P/S, put a load (spare SATA HD) on it, jumpered the power on, and all voltages appear good, and P/S fan ran.

MB or P/S do you think?
Bare MB available online for $50 or so...P/S is more it seems.

I know it's a pretty cheap unit...but if I can get it fixed it would be good.

Concern is that OS will act up with new MB. Isn't that an issue sometimes?

Any suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-14, 08:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Ehh, usually not. Even with an 'identical' motherboard with the same part number it will probably go through a bunch of driver installations on the first boot, and have to restart a few times, but ultimately it won't be bad as if you were to say, move a hard drive from one computer to a different one with different specs.

As far as testing the supply, putting a hard drive on it is good (two or three would be better, since drives don't draw all that much), but it also won't load down the critical 3.3v and -12v rails. So you can still have an issue if one of those rails is weak/failing. You can also have an issue on the 'Power Good' line that is preventing the motherboard from coming out of reset (you need to look for +5v on the gray wire once the supply is on).

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 05-26-14 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 09:22 PM
I agree with Matt probably not an issue if the motherboard is the same. It all depends too on how the data on the hard drive was saved as to whether it will work on a motherboard with different specifications. Did you find a motherboard that has the same specs on e-bay? if you did you will be very fortunate and probably not have any issues. A few years ago an old computer I liked had a bad motherboard that wouldn't allow me to access my hard drive and had blown capacitors. To make a long story short I found the exact same motherboard on e-bay.

From what you have told me so far it sounds like a bad motherboard but could also be a bad power supply too. E-machines never were very good computers but if your wife likes it and you don't have to spend much on replacement parts then I think you should fix it. Good luck!

Old 05-30-14, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, crap! New MB showed up today...no joy. Didn't swap the memory (not needed for a test, right?), but CPU and all cables moved over. No P/S fan movement when connected and ON button pushed. Durn it!

All voltages were good on P/S in bench tests, but I guess something wasn't right. Ordered new P/S.

The MB was advertized as identical, but had different version numbers same P/N, though everything matched perfectly. Jumpers checked fine.

ADDED...

Well, holy crap. Disconnected everything except the power connections (usb, sata, audio, etc removed) and cpu fan started turning and got a continuous beep initially. Turned off and added the memory and the HD. Now no beep...but front power light is flashing fast 3 times, pause, 3 times, repeat. Disconnected HD, left memory in...same thing. Can't find this in the service manual...but would think it's a P/S fault? Cancelled P/S order til I get some feedback. Fan still running. HD spins up. Monitor says no signal.

EDIT...I found the one long beep means no memory installed..so thats resolved.

Old 05-30-14, 07:20 PM
I'd put money on the power supply. The version numbers on the motherboard can be different as long as the part number is the same. Motherboards - especially in mass-produced machines - go through many revisions over its production period.

With everything in this state you've described, backprobe the big ATX connector with your meter - negative to any black - and check for +3.3V at several of the orange wires, +5V at several reds, and +12V at several yellows. Also check for -12V at the blue wire (this is still referenced to ground so leave your negative probe in a black wire), +5v at the gray wire, and +5V at the purple wire. Any deviation of more than a few tenths of a volt is bad. If the gray wire is dead, try jumpering any red wire to gray and see if it starts.

Old 05-30-14, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Thx...will do that later. Vicodin for infected tooth pain is kinda kickin in. Not time for precise measurements. Have to grind down some probe tips or "adapt" some paper clips to back probe.

Dammit. P/S cost more than the useless MB. Have to check the return policy on the MB. Prob out the bucks I imagine.

Old 05-30-14, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Vicodin for infected tooth pain is kinda kickin in.
Lucky you.............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 05-30-14, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Not really...no pain...but makes me tired and loopy. Along with the gastro side affects

Better than the screaming bolts of pain up the side of my face though.

The antibiotics should be in full swing by tomorrow and I can stop the pain meds...I hope.

Old 05-31-14, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Ohhhhhh yes! There is joy in Mudville! Mighty Gunguy hit a homer! (Of course it was because I made an error yesterday.)

Fired it up and checked all voltages this morning, everything looked good, but still getting the flashing power light. Looking for any jumpers or anything like that, I noticed one memory card was higher on one end than the other. DUH...wasn't fully seated even though the clip was locked in, but there are TWO notches on the board, and it was locked in the lower one. Fully seated the board and fired it up. Crud, power light flashed 3 times....but then went solid and I got startup! Connected HD and it boots!

So it was indeed the MB.

Be nice if they had some sort of chart for the error codes indicated by the light. Couldn't find anything in the service manual though.

Putting it back together now. Gonna be a happy Momma! And we know what that means.

Old 05-31-14, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Works fine put together and buttoned up in garage. Take it in hook up everything...nothing. Unplug all but essentials, nothing. Bring back to garage, nothing. Open up, unplug HD, DVD, USB...it starts to the BIOS screen. JAYZUUS, this is starting to tick me off! Connect everything back up, carefully routing cables to avoid strain or pinches. Fires right up.

Going to leave it open but running for a while, then restart several times.

I have the back USB ports all filled up (which are all on the same buss/port) with a keyboard, USB powered speakers, the wireless network dongle, and the printer connection when it is in the house. I would think the speakers would be the main draw (and it's only 2.5W).

Is it possible that those are overloading that port? When it won't start and the speakers are hooked up, I hear a slow tick, tick, tick from the speakers. Sort of like something is resetting then trying, then resetting, then trying.

I'm going to disconnect all but the essentials on my next attempt to see if it makes a diff.

Old 05-31-14, 06:15 PM
The only thing I can think of is a chassis intrusion detector which may do more than just inform you that the case was opened. Most of the time that is turned off by default though and usually just has a message on the screen and nothing else. On your computer it may be different.

Old 05-31-14, 06:27 PM
Chassis intrusion detection switches are virtually non existent anymore. You especially would not find one in mass-produced low-end department store units like emachines. It's a useless annoying "feature", similar to password protecting a BIOS - because it's a matter of 3 seconds flipping a jumper to remove it.

I'm STILL thinking power supply. The clicking you hear from the speakers points to that too. Vic, is there a local computer shop (not the geek squad morons, a real local shop) near you? If you ask nice, and you just bring the power supply to them "ex vivo", they'd be more than willing to plug it into the tester and verify that it's good.

Old 05-31-14, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah there are a few Matt, those were the ones quoting me ridiculous prices for the W7 install on my garage PC. I can't imagine them being nice enough to do a gratis check of a P/S. Prob charge me as much as a new one would run.

It's been working fine for the last 3-4 hrs, multiple start-ups and shutdowns as well as sleep. Thats with the speakers connected and a basic IBM mouse, kybd and small old VGA monitor hooked up. Like I said, I carefully routed the cables so no stress or pinching and made sure all plugs were seated well.

I'm going to take it inside after a few more chores are done and hook it up with the bare essentials, then add one device at a time. If I get an issue with the same kind of long test, I'll pull each device and see what happens. I can get a OEM P/S for around $50+ or an upgraded unit for $60+. I know it's a cheapo, but it does all she needs (her little ASUS laptop has more power) and even if I have to get a P/S, it's cheaper than a new box. And this one fits perfect on the desk layout, since it's so small. Makes it a pain to work on when you have fat fingers though.

Time to give it a rest for the night I think, before I pull the HD and throw the damn thing in the dumpster.

Old 05-31-14, 09:46 PM
Vic I agree with Matt and I am sure since he is a technician that he knows whether there is an intrusion detection device in that computer. He also makes a good point that it probably is the power supply especially when he mentions this being a department store computer. I personally think you should just go ahead and buy a new power supply especially if it is only going to be $50.00. You probably couldn't even get a quick look at the computer for only $50.00 so you would be saving money.

As for chassis intrusion I am glad they are doing away with it, it really isn't helpful and more a pain than a help. You are right Matt it is useless and annoying which is why I made sure it would not work on my MSI motherboard which is about 6 or 7 years old now, give or take a few years.

Old 06-11-14, 01:17 PM
I would recommend purchasing one of these so that you can properly test your power supply, they are only 24 bucks, and you can use it over and over again in diagnosing PSU problems:

Rexus PST-3 Digital Power Supply Tester with LCD - Newegg.com