Flash Drive

Old 05-28-14, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flash Drive

An ole timer who is trying to get up to speed on how to operate my lap top. Purchased several video's and currently have them stored in my Amazon video library. I want to download them and store them in a device; if I understand correctly, I can store them in an external hard-drive, or a USB flash disk. Appreciate suggestions on the best method; if disk, would it be best to purchase one with the largest storage space as possible or a disk that could hold around 4-5 video's? The Lap Top is a HP dv7 approx. 4 yrs. old.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-14, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Lots of options.

I have several flash drives but I think of them as temporary storage or transfer devices. I have several external hard drives, from 500 MB on up to a 3 TB device I bought last week. The external drives would be what I would use.

Old 05-28-14, 12:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
I agree with mitch17 I wouldn't use a flash drive instead I would look for a Western Digital Mybook and buy one as big as you can afford because movies take up a great deal of space. I think if I was you I would buy one at least 2tb maybe even a bit bigger than that to make sure you have room for even more movies and tv shows.

Old 05-28-14, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
I'll be the odd ball. I use a flash drive. I have a Mac Air with a relatively small solid state drive (SSD) so when I download movies for travel I throw them on a 64gig flash drive which is enough to hold about 30 standard definition movies with room to spare. It's very small, indestructible and uses very minimal power so it doesn't drain my battery when a passenger on long flights. I'm not trying to archive or keep movies forever so unless it's something special I erase it after I've watched it but still 64 gig is a lot of space.

If using it mostly at home or for trips where space & weight is not a huge concern than a portable hard drive (HD) is a great option. They are pretty small, durable and inexpensive while holding a lot more than a flash drive. Many even have the capacity to serve as a backup for the drive in your laptop. As for size/capacity I think anything you can buy today will be more than you'll ever need so no need to go for a big monster drive.

Old 05-28-14, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And I'm going with Dane on this.. It's for a laptop, so he's not going to want to use an external hard drive because those suck power, and are vulnerable to shock damage. And especially not a MyBook because that requires its own power. You can get 64 and 128GB flash sticks dirt cheap. When you consider a high def movie from a download service is probably going to run 6-8GB (these aren't uncompressed home rips that can be upwards of 20-30GB each), you could easily fit 8 of them on a $30 stick.. 128GB sticks are around $50. Hell, you can get 256GB for a hundred and change!

Old 05-28-14, 03:52 PM
I really appreciate the input/suggestions. I am looking at both, smaller external HD and 1-2 64GB flash disk, noticed both are relatively inexpensive and I can use the external HD to store numerous pictures I have stored on my computer. I like the idea of taking a flash disk to friends and/or family home and plug in a movie. I noticed the come in USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, assume I should go with a usb 2.0 because I have an earlier model computer?? Again, thank you all it is really helpful!!

Old 05-28-14, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
3.0 is fully backward compatible...and you won't have that PC forever.

Old 05-28-14, 06:36 PM
If I understand correctly, best to purchase the USB 3 flash disk, which will work in the USB 2 port but there will be no noticeable improvement/advantage unless I were to insert the disk in an USB 3 port???

Old 05-28-14, 07:09 PM
That is correct you can use a USB 3 flash drive on a USB 2 port. It will be a bit slower than on a USB 3 port but not really noticeably slower. I also agree about the flash drives too I read your question kind of fast earlier. If this was for a desktop then I would definitely suggest a Mybook.

Old 05-28-14, 07:30 PM
Appreciate the quick response. I been browsing a couple shopping sites and came across these 'ministations', bout the size of a wallet and those with less storage space from between from 500 GB to 1 TB storage are reasonably priced. Currently using lots of space on computer for photos so I figure possibly storing them in a ministration might be the better option; whereas, I will purchase the USB 3.0 64 GB flash drive for my video's. Again, thanks to all, feel more comfortable purchasing online.

Old 05-28-14, 07:46 PM
You are welcome as to good places to shop I have window shopped a place called Monoprice.com and like Amazon.com or Newegg.com too as well as Tigerdirect.com which I think are all great places to shop. Good luck on your search!

Old 05-28-14, 08:32 PM
Yes, I have shopped them all, found mono and amazon had a good selection of low voltage wall plates for running cables thru wall to flat screen and entertainment center. Also purchased thru buydig.com, similar to newegg, and pleased with selection and price.

Last edited by lightspeed; 05-28-14 at 09:19 PM.