printer recommendations

Old 05-28-14, 12:48 PM
printer recommendations

I'm looking for a black/white color printer. Something around $100-$120 price range.

Don't need all the bells, and whistles,just something to make everyday copies of such.
A well known brand is important along with relatively inexpensive ink,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-14, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
I bought a Canon image class D530 a few yrs ago and have been well satisfied with it. It's has a laser cartridge that is still going strong [I don't print a lot] I never have priced the cartridge.

Old 05-28-14, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your input. Most of my printing would be tax bills,auto receipts,pictures from my picture folder,or camera,etc. Nothing fancy

Old 05-28-14, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The D530 is just a black and white printer .... some how the color part of your post didn't register

Old 05-28-14, 02:09 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I have an Epson Work Force 520. I prefer Epson software over HP. It cost $80 at the time. Ink prices are how all of the printer manufacturers get you. You can save a few $ at Cartridge World. If the printer doesn't recognize the cartridge, run an eraser over the contact.

Old 05-28-14, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
I use an epson all in one. The artisan series. Got on a close out @ $99 bucks.

Myself I do photos and have always had 6 ink cartridge epsons. Plus ability to scan and make copys. Wifi if needed...etc... Also mine prints to DVD,s (prints label on them and has DVD tray..)

Years ago the all in ones lacked in the photo department. But now I would have nothing less.

My ink lasted almost 2 years with the factory max capacity cartridges. I print in draft black only and only use darker print or color for important documents and pictures...

I see they have an expressions line.( Guess they dont make the artisan and this is the replacement)

If I were to need a printer and only $99 bucks to spend... this would be the one...

Epson Expression Premium XP-610 Small-in-OneŽ Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Old 05-28-14, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. and recommendations. All good info.

Old 05-28-14, 03:50 PM
I have a 3 in 1 Canon (print/copy/ scan) that would be called a tpical trow away item.

I have had it for a couple of years and it has worked well. For me, the scanner portion is great and it will print small and 8x10's. I rarely use my larger and pricier flat bed Canon scanner that does larger formats since I have photo options that I can stitch together if absolutely necessary. It does use ink if you force the dark definitions, but works and the ink is readily available (even at a Walgreen's).

Dick

Old 05-28-14, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah I have to agree Epsons are the best. I have an RX595 all-in-one (does photo and direct CD/DVD printing) that I bought almost 10 years ago and it's still running like a champ. Before that I had an RX320 for about 4 years before it got destroyed in a house fire.

Now what I recommend is before you make ANY decision, regardless of the brand, check to see if the cartridges are available from Monoprice.com, and compare their prices (don't forget to consider the shipping cost) to local refiller stores and the name brand cartridges. Example: the high capacity Epson cartridges for mine (#77) cost about $18 apiece for the colors when you buy the whole pack. Nobody seems to carry the high capacity black, but the standard black (#78) is $17. Monoprice carries ALL the #77 high capacity 'remanufactured' cartridges for $4.77 each... PLUS they do 20% off ink and toner a couple times a year (usually around back to school and tax season). Needless to say it's saved me a TON of money on ink buying my ink there.

Old 05-28-14, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Now what I recommend is before you make ANY decision, regardless of the brand, check to see if the cartridges are available from Monoprice.com, and compare their prices (don't forget to consider the shipping cost) to local refiller stores and the name brand cartridges.
Not to get off topic matt, but I have had problems with compatible cartridges in the past. Clogged heads and what not.

I have learned to only use the genuine cartridges in the epsons from past experiences. They do last so much longer also.

I know the ink is different because pictures I printed with the compatible carts have faded. ( Yes under glass) And the epson ink printed pics some 10 years ago still look great.

HP's have the highest ink costs I believe. My mom curses everytime she needs to get ink....LOL

Just my opinion though....

Just an example. I can get all 6 in the high capacity of my printer for $94 bucks.. ( But did last me 2 years... with school kids too and a coupon printing admiral...LOL)

Buy Ink for Epson Artisan 835 All-in-One Printer - Genuine Epson Ink - Epson America, Inc.

Old 05-28-14, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
98.8% of my printing is b&w, so I gave up the inkjet Canon with individual carts quite a while ago. It's cheaper and almost as easy to go down to Staples and get a print if I really need color. And I can go to Wally World for $1.25 if there's a pic I really want to have a print of. Laser never clogs, no carts to dry out or waste.

Old 05-28-14, 07:38 PM
I haven't bought it yet but have looked at an Epson WF-2540 at Amazon.com for $89.99 and it seems to do everything. Right now I have a Lexmark that prints great but I really haven't been completely happy with it as it hasn't worked wireless like I would like it too. But the Epson I mentioned I like a great deal here is a link to it Amazon.com: Epson WorkForce WF-2540 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible (C11CC36201): Electronics.

As to re-manufactured cartridges with all due respect to JerseyMatt I really wouldn't do that either as I too have had problems with the cartridges leaking or malfunctioning in some other way. I bought from another company for a long time that had cheaper cartridges and they were great for a long time but then started being lousy. Keep that company Monoprice in mind for other things as I have looked around the website and they have good prices for many things.

Epson scanners are great too if you only want a dedicated scanner which is why I started being interested in their printers as well.

Old 05-29-14, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I had a Lexmark ink jet, I bought remanufactured cartridges all the time, never had any issues and it was a lot cheaper than buying new. I did buy one for my stepson that didn't work but they promptly mailed out a new one along with a postage paid envelope to return the defective one.

Like Vic, I don't print a lot and really like laser! I had problems with my ink drying out long before the cartridge was even half empty

Old 05-29-14, 08:20 AM
I bought a WF-2540 last November, quite happy with it. I didn't want an all-in-one at first thinking I'd never need all that stuff. Turns out it has come in handy, fax for instance, more than once.

Old 05-30-14, 06:01 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm off shopping!

Old 05-30-14, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never had an issue with pre-filled 3rd party cartridges. No clogs, no leaks, no issues (buying bulk ink and a chip resetter and refilling the old cartridges is another story). Photo fading I don't really know about because when you factor in the cost of the photo paper and the ink, it's cheaper and less hassle to just bring the memory card over to Walgreen's or order from Snapfish.. But I can tell you I don't have fading issues on CD's/DVD's that I've printed.

Old 06-02-14, 05:24 PM
If your buying for use of brand name cartridges I'd look into the HP models. They are very fast. If your looking for cheap ink that functions well in a printer I would definitely go with a good Canon printer.

Old 06-11-14, 01:11 PM
If you have a Costco membership, I would recommend looking there, the HP 7525 was onsale for 119 a bit ago, not sure if it still is. Another nice thing about Costco is the return policy! If the printer EVER breaks, you can return it with a receipt (or without as long as you have the member # available that it was purchased under) for as long as you own it!

Old 06-11-14, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like H.P.

Old 06-11-14, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
As stated before HP will cost you more i ink in the long run.......

Just an FYI..........

Remember do cost analysis of ink............

Just from what I know........

Old 06-12-14, 12:05 AM
I don't know Mike it just depends HP ink can be cheaper if you buy it at the right price among other places that has cheaper ink and genuine ink is Amazon.com. Lexmark and HP ink run at about the same price but it is much cheaper at Amazon.com. Also the Epson printer I mentioned earlier is still at the low price of $89.99 so the printer is definitely cheaper than the HP at Costco and they offer free shipping for the printer too. I am not saying you should buy there but I am saying it is cheaper than Costco.

I also think that wb6vpm is mistaken when he says that you can return the printer for as long as you own it. They have a 90 day return policy for electronic items now and I would consider a printer an electronic item.

As I understand it they used to have an unlimited return policy but not anymore on electronics and especially computers and probably computer related items. Here is a link to Costco's return policy page http://www.costco.com/returns-replacements-refunds.html . I certainly would call them first to be sure to avoid disappointment.

Old 06-12-14, 02:46 AM
actually, there are only a few things that fall under that policy. Here is the relevant section, printers are not listed, nor do they fall under any of the categories listed:

The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

Old 06-12-14, 03:20 PM
wb6vpm my apologies they were not entirely clear on the website but were much clearer over the phone. I have had thoughts about getting a membership myself and might still in the future so that is when I looked it up online.

Since they had computers listed in their 90 day policy I also thought that would include printers too. They did say the printer would have to be looked at and evaluated at the store but that was all. So a very good policy indeed and more generous than anything I have heard of before.

Old 06-19-14, 12:08 PM
I purchased a printer( H P 6525). Its wireless capable.

My question is: using Windows I can't figure out how to the "taskbar" and click "Start" to get to printers ,control panel,and other prompts. I'm using windows 8.1,which I don't see when starting up.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 06-19-14, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
If you have a start menu and downloaded classic shell,

start/settings/printers.

Right click on your printer. Make it default.

Right click on printer and change preferences as you wish...

Note that is classic view for the start menu. Dont know what view you have the start menu skin set for...

Old 06-19-14, 01:29 PM
To really make it easier to navigate to a printer or anything else you really need classic shell and can find it here to download for free Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements . So if you don't already have classic shell I strongly urge you to download it.