Issue with food plotter

Old 05-29-14, 04:29 AM
Issue with food plotter

Hello everyone, I have a problem with fairly specific technique - food plotter (ďModecore decoplotty, ItalyĒ to be more precise). Plotter passes diagnostics of the system and at the end of diagnostics instead of the control menu, display shows a white screen with an inscription ęmodecoreĽ. Did anyone come across this issue before?

What was done: 1. I checked Ė all ribbon cables, cables, sensors Ė everything is ok. 2. I replaced - code strip, carriage group, mother board. 3. It is not because of software, as I replaced motherboard

What I canít do: 1. I canít check the rest of electronics of the plotter. 2. I canít check the display itself

I have no idea what else can I do to fix it, so if any of you had something to do with this kind of plotters, or solved the same problem, please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Related video of the issue: Modecore issue on Vimeo
PS: Also, there is no point in asking Modecore tech.support how to fix it, they have no idea what can it be. :-(

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-14, 05:31 AM
Temporarily Suspended
3. It is not because of software, as I replaced motherboard

Are you sure that statement is correct? Is there no hard drive? Is there a keyboard or can one be connected, to run commands?

Old 05-29-14, 05:58 AM
I can connect to plotter by PC, but PC will detect/see plotter only after the menu will load. But menu doesn't load, so PC doesn't detect plotter. And I can't connect to plotter directly, no hard drive or device programmer for this plotter.

Old 05-29-14, 06:31 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I couldn't find any documentation on that device at all. The video that you posted had no sound. At least I didn't hear any. It's hard for me to understand how the operating system, whatever it may be, is on the mother board. There has to be something else in there & a way to program it or at least boot to safe mode or a command prompt. When you connect a PC to it, what type of port & cable do you use?

Old 05-29-14, 09:43 PM
What you have from what I understand is essentially a three dimension printer. These are fairly specialized printers and not very common. Just like with any printer though you can have driver issues. I suggest you uninstall the drivers and then re-install the drivers but before you do that lets eliminate any malware and for that I suggest SuperAntiSpyware you can find here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!. Install SuperAntispyware and run it do a complete scan and Enable Rescue Scan.

See if the scan corrects your problem and if not then do a System Restore and see if your problem goes away. If not then re-install the software and if you have lost it download it off of their website here Modecor Italiana Srl . This should solve your problem. For those members who don't know about three dimensional printers and wish to understand the issue better click on the link and it will give you further information. Welcome to the forum Mary.

Old 05-29-14, 11:51 PM
Whyyy product placement and no real help :-)

Old 05-30-14, 12:01 AM
I'll just take another plotter and try to replace all possible parts. Thanks Pulpo for trying to help.

Not to sound rude, I was just trying to come across the person who met this problem before, I did all troubleshooting steps you suggest, Pulpo, but it didn't help. But thank you anyway. :-)

Old 05-30-14, 12:15 AM
We are sorry we couldn't help you these types of three dimensional printers and plotters are not in much use here in the United States. We have a basic understanding of them but that is about as far as it goes. The technology is very interesting though and hopefully prices for those will go down sometime as for the average person they are way too expensive. Kind of understanding a bit about what they do make me think that they will always be a bit expensive. Have a nice day Mary!

Old 05-30-14, 12:39 AM
Ok, point taken. Thanks, hedgeclippers :-)

Old 05-30-14, 08:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
I couldn't find any documentation on that device at all. The video that you posted had no sound. At least I didn't hear any. It's hard for me to understand how the operating system, whatever it may be, is on the mother board. There has to be something else in there & a way to program it or at least boot to safe mode or a command prompt. When you connect a PC to it, what type of port & cable do you use?
Uhh it's called 'firmware'. Same as any other computerized device. Your car doesn't have a hard drive, or a way to boot it to safe mode or a command prompt.. Neither does your microwave or coffee maker. Their operating code is stored on a little chip on the motherboard.

Mary, did you ask Modecor if there was a way to access a service or programming menu from the display? Some devices allow you in by for example holding down a certain combination of buttons while powering on. Some devices also have a combination that does a 'hard reset' of the device - clearing all options and returning it to factory defaults.

That would be worth exploring. Barring a checkpoint that is failing after the diagnostics run (but that would be very odd), there's not much left that you can try. If it was a bug in the firmware that would have been fixed when you replaced the motherboard.

Old 05-31-14, 08:13 PM
Hi Mary Ė

Sounds like a hardware variation, or hardware failure, outside the motherboard which the firmware on the motherboard is handling very poorly. Something interfacing with the motherboard has changed and is now causing the firmware to take a path different than it did when the printer was working for you.

If itís an intentional path, shame on them. The firmware should give you some indication of the problem when it encounters it to tell you what needs fixing, i.e., ledís flashing or solid or something like that, in other words a code to identify the specific problem. However it could be an unintentional path triggered also by a change in the motherboard environment, e.g., a firmware bug in which the firmware doesnít protect itself from certain inputs, which just now happen, in your environment, to be out of range.

But like you say you canít check out the electronics. IMHO replacing the motherboard was a good bet and it sounds like you tried to make sure cables etc. and things which interface to the motherboard are OK. But if itís just a firmware deficiency which doesnít handle some hardware anomalies very well, a new motherboard wonít help. The firmware defect persists.

I canít believe their tech support couldnít help if they really wanted to. If it passes startup diagnostics but then fails to display the Main Menu, yet shows a default display, and the problem also occurs with a new motherboard, then that should point the software people in the right direction. They should be able to give you some idea of which piece(s) of hardware may be triggering the problem. I canít believe with that information they couldnít reduce the scope of possible causes.

But if they wonít help, seems like your next best or only choice is to do what you are doing, see if someone else has seen the problem. Thatís a real bummer.

But good luck, hope you get it fixed!

Last edited by zoesdad; 05-31-14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-31-14, 10:01 PM
I can believe it as I have read reviews for these three dimensional printers and plotters. On Amazon.com there is a three dimensional printer that goes for over a thousand dollars but also has some bad reviews. Not all bad reviews no but enough to make you wonder about these plotters and printers. Too bad too when people put there hard earned money into something that doesn't work or only works for a while and then fails. I can't in all honesty say all of these are bad because they are not but it is buyer beware unfortunately.

Here is a link to a three dimensional printer that has some good reviews and is fairly highly rated but also has some concerns too Amazon.com: FlashForge Creator 3D Printer (Wood Case): Industrial & Scientific . I personally think some of these are just too new and unproven.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 05-31-14 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-02-14, 12:03 AM
Everyone, thanks for trying to help, I'll try to connect tech. support one more time, but this time with more precise questions. Thanks everyone once again!

Old 06-02-14, 01:40 AM
On behalf of all of us who posted a reply I would like to say you are welcome Mary. I do see a similar thread posted so you also might want to look up old threads before calling customer support. Anyway good luck to you!