Computer browser update

Old 05-31-14, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer browser update

I just got a e-mail from YAHOO alluding to a "new" upgrade that i'm supposed to update to if i want to continue to use my newly updated windows 8.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks

Old 05-31-14, 06:00 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Several people have made comments that they do not like the update. But that seems to be a common problem anytime any program gets updated. I haven't as yet updated my Win 8 laptop Yahoo account. I mainly use my Win 7 desktop.

But on a similar subject (kettle calling the pot black so to speak) has anybody taken on the Firefox update 29.0.1? I tried and dumped it within a few days. Very inconvenient and they took away the layout I liked. But now I keep getting update warnings and I can't turn them off. I keep hoping people complain enough to make them publish an update. I don't have a problem with the update in terms of security but why do they need to make us accept a layout that we don't want? At least give us a choice.

Old 05-31-14, 06:22 AM
"I don't have a problem with the update in terms of security but why do they need to make us accept a layout that we don't want".

My sentiments also.

Old 05-31-14, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
To the FF question...I've had 29.0.1 since it came out. Seems to work just fine. What do you not like? Nice thing about FF is you can tweek many things to make it resemble what it was in a prior version. I can't even remember what the last one looked like.

As to Yahoo...sorry, I don't use that. Yahoo is a browser? Or is it email?

Old 05-31-14, 07:30 AM
I use yahoo to access the web, and e-mail

Old 05-31-14, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 308 Votes on 244 Posts
Yahoo isn't a browser and not needed to access the web. It also doesn't have anything to do with Windows 8. If you didn't update it, you'd still be able to use your computer.
I think perhaps you misunderstood the email.

Old 05-31-14, 08:41 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
To the FF question...I've had 29.0.1 since it came out. Seems to work just fine. What do you not like?
Well for openers I can't put Stumble Upon Toolbar in the lower section of screen. Many of the apps that sat up on the upper section no longer reside there.

Oops, I just got the damn update notice and inadvertently said update instead of ask me later. Oh well I'll have to get use to it eventually.

Old 05-31-14, 08:53 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Search Engine

Yahoo is a search engine. I use Google.

Old 06-01-14, 06:04 AM
I re-set my computer settings, and everything seems to o.k. for now. Thanks

Old 06-02-14, 09:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
I think MS and Yahoo have a deal somewhere - when MS puts out a new version of IE, Yahoo will tell you it's time to upgrade IE.

Old 06-02-14, 10:09 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
My OS won't even run IE but Yahoo works fine for mail, search, and home page.
I use yahoo to access the web
No you don't. You use a browser to access the web. You might go to the Yahoo webpage before going elsewhere but you don't need to go to any page first. You can go to the page you really want to go to directly. You can even assign shortcuts for your most often accessed sites then just hit the shortcut to open the website directly. Home pages such as Yahoo homepage are to push advertising but are not needed to use the web. You can even set your home page to "About Blank" and the browser will open with no webpage. If you have a shortcut bar with your most used sites you can then click the site you want to go to.

History: My perspective is from dial-up days. It took a lot longer for a website to load so it made no sense to load a page I didn't want before going to the one I wanted so I used "about" blank" and eventually shortcut keys.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-02-14 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 308 Votes on 244 Posts
Here.....I found the update you were asking about. It's just telling people that use Yahoo mail, that they need to update old versions of browsers, if they have not already done so, or else certain options will not be available in their Yahoo email.
Has nothing to do with Windows.
Yahoo: Update your browser or be switched to basic email - CNET

I re-set my computer settings, and everything seems to o.k. for now
What was wrong? You didn't say anything was wrong. If you set your computer back in time, you'll just get another update message.

Old 06-02-14, 11:59 AM
It is a good idea to keep your browser up to date for security reasons but I find the bells and whistles a web site might add are usually not important to me. As long as I can continue using what works fine I wouldn't upgrade just for bells and whistles but then that's just my opinion.

Old 06-02-14, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your help.

I f i didn't mention before i'll bring you all up to date.

I'm using Google with windows 8.1 ,new computer

The issue is I have to log into my Bank web page account every day with a NEW password everytime. I can use this bank web page till the next day,then i have to log into start,with a new code ,and go through all this log in baloney every time.
After talking to the bank website,my computer site web page,two computer savvy experts,and you folks here,i still can't get into my Bank account.

Still battling!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-14, 01:57 PM
What error message do you get logging into the bank? Is it just wrong pass word? If so type out the new password in note pad and save in My Documents first. Then always copy and paste the password. There are safer ways but till you get this working try that way. If the error message isn't a simple incorrect password take a screenshot of it and post it here.

Take a screen capture (print your screen) - Windows Help Use option 1 and save to Desktop as a JPG. Insert Image on these forums will look at Desktop first for the image. This one seems alot more complicated then I remember but here it is: How to Take a Screenshot in Windows 8 with No Extra Software

Last edited by ray2047; 06-02-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 04:56 PM
RAY,

Thanks for the Web page,and how to change back to the 'old' window.

As usual,you folks are fantastic.

I'll post back later when i can get a chance.

Old 06-03-14, 06:01 AM
Latest:

Called the bank, again, and they are looking at their software.

I'll Post back if i get this resolved

Old 06-03-14, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
With banks and email accounts..... it usually comes down to a javascript issue.

thanks for the correction Ray

Old 06-03-14, 08:46 AM
Be sure javascript is turned on. Be sure you are allowing all cookies. Cookies and javascript have been so demonized many people have been scared into crippling their browser. I'd also try the bank with the AV and fire wall turned off.

Old 06-03-14, 01:02 PM
H
With Linux turning the firewall off and the anti-virus off too(no anti-virus on Linux anyway) that might be o.k. but with Windows I wouldn't do that. It just isn't good practice in my opinion, Of course his settings on his anti-virus might be set too high and should always be set to medium. If not set that way then your anti-virus just goes crazy and blocks about every website. One anti-virus that I gave up on was Comodo and their browser too it was just blocking too many websites. I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials as the main anti-virus.

Old 06-03-14, 02:37 PM
I should have been clearer. I meant only as a test and to be turned back on after testing. If testing indicates it is the AV then you need to did deeper into the AV problem.

Old 06-03-14, 06:05 PM
H
I agree as a test that should be o.k. and most of your better anti-virus will not over do things. Microsoft Security Essentials is one that I just mentioned but you could also use AVG(although it has been noted in the past as having a few problems) and Avast as about the only anti-virus I would recommend. The other ones I wouldn't recommend are Norton and McAfee both of which cause numerous problems. Not to mention too they are not available free and cost a good deal of money.

Old 06-10-14, 03:20 PM
Red face

Well, My friends, a big part of my problem has been solved.

Basically it was a combination of my ignorance ,Google,Microsoft 8.1,bad advice,etc,

With much help from all the sources i could think of, I'm back on the air,Hopefully for
a long time......

I'm posting to THANK ALL of YOU for your incredible help and support. There really no
way how to thank you all for help.

My best,
daswede

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: