Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can't Uninstall

Super Moderator

CANADA

03-12-01, 07:38 AM   #1  
After reformatting my hard drive I downloaded Netscape 6.
I find that N6 takes forever to load and crashes much too often. I've decided to give up and find that the latest version of Internet Explorer works just fine.
My problem is that Netscape won't uninstall. The message I get when trying to do an uninstall is: "error occured while trying to uninstall. Program may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to delete from uninstall list?"
Does an uninstall remove more files than just deleting the program? I am running W98 on a PII-266.
Ideas?
PS: Downloaded Start-Up Cop as suggested in a different post and found it to be an excellent tool in solving another problem I had...........Thanks!
GregH

Sponsored Links

CANADA

03-12-01, 08:11 AM   #2  
When you uninstall a program, I usually try and go at it from the ADD/REMOVE programs in control panel, if it is listed, if it is not , I look for an uninstall selection in the START/PROGRAMS menu for that perticular piece of software, if not there look in the actual folder where the software is located, if again no uninstall software , I just outright delete teh software folder. I do it in that order. Add/remove or uninstall options should get rid of the chances it made to the registry, and system settings, however if tha option is not available then you do it by other means. You will have to delete the selections in START/PROGRAMS manually is not done by ADD/REMOVE programs.

I have both netscape and explorer on my system, but explorer is my default browser. I haven't tried netscape 6, I run netscape 4.75

The other thing is any anti-virus software should be disabled during a install or uninstall, or can enable it again later if you like.

Visiting Guest

03-13-01, 09:24 PM   #3  
Marshall Buttrey
I'm just a little curious. What do you see that leads you to believe NetScape didn't un-install?

Maybe the application is gone, but a few remnants remain.

This would be a completely differnt problem, needing a completely different solution.

Marshall Buttrey

Super Moderator

CANADA

03-14-01, 04:53 AM   #4  
Can't Uninstall

Marshall Buttrey:
Netscape is still on my desktop and is a functioning program.When I do an uninstall I get an immediate message that it is already uninstalled. I would prefer to do an uninstall than to just delete the program file. Am I correct to say that by just deleting the file there would be remnants of the program still there? Maybe I could try to download the program again in the hope that the uninstall program would work, or would that be a waste of time?

GregH

CANADA

03-14-01, 05:26 AM   #5  
That is one option is to install the program again , reboot the computer and then attempt to uninstall the program again.

Visiting Guest

03-14-01, 06:49 PM   #6  
Marshall Buttrey
Whats on your desk top is only a short cut. That's one of the possible remnants I was talking about. The short cut pointing to a functional program is anothet matter all together. I can't offer anything dkerr hasn't offered. I would try the re-install then un-install. Nothing to loose but a little time. Good Luck.

Marshall Buttrey

Search this Thread