Windows xp mode

Old 07-16-14, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows xp mode

Along with many other I was working with Windows XP 32 bit on my home computer but when Microsoft stopped supporting it I switched to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Some of the programs I had with XP were Microsoft Publisher 97 and Print Shop Publishing Suite 97 and both now do not work on Windows 7. (I have Publisher 2007 on my computer and I hate it!) However I have been reading that perhaps if I install a virtual machine in XP mode I could get those two programs to work again. I have no idea what that means nor do I know how to install it. Can someone tell me if it would work and how (step-by-step) to set that up? I am no computer geek by any means but I try my best to do things like that. Being 67 years of age I was either born too early or computers came about too late (or both). Thank you.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-14, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Do you the programs work if you just run them in compatibility mode for XP?

Old 07-16-14, 10:56 AM

Mitch, I'm not sure about that. They ran and worked very well when I only had XP but since I now have Windows 7 I can't get them to install. I get a message that tells me they are not compatible with the 64 bit that 7 has. They both are 16 bit. If there is a way that I can get the machine to run in compatibility mode for XP that might work but I don't know how to do that either. I read online that others get those old programs to run but I can't figure out how to set that up.

Rich

Old 07-16-14, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
OK, that's not XP/7 compatibility.

If you go the virtual machine route, it will need to be a 32 bit machine.

Old 07-16-14, 11:50 AM
Right-click the program installation exe and select Properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Tick the Compatibility Mode checkbox and select "Windows XP" from the choices.

I've only done it a couple times so far so I don't know if that works for all programs and all installer utilities. Hopefully someone will come along and refine my answer.

Old 07-16-14, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Guy48065 - not a Win 7 issue, it's that the programs are 16 bit and his 7 installation is 64 bit. These will only run on a 16 or 32 bit OS.

Old 07-16-14, 12:06 PM
OK I didn't realize there was a brick wall between 16/32 bit and 64 bit that Compatibility can't correct.

Old 07-16-14, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
AFAIK, this is a brick wall - you can't run 16 bit programs on 64 bit operating systems.

Compatibility is only for version changes to my knowledge, it does not address bitness changes like this.

That said, I could be wrong and learn something from this

Old 07-16-14, 12:17 PM
According to this article you indeed can't use Compatibility to run a 16 bit application on a 64 bit machine--but you can use it for a 32 bit application. There's simply no built-in 64-to-16 emulator.

Old 07-16-14, 09:02 PM
Windows XP mode is also only available with Windows 7 professional and is available as a download from Microsoft. You can find it if you use a search engine and download it. It is also correct that Windows XP mode is only for 32 bit applications. I had Works with Word 2000 on my desktop for a while and it was difficult to install but still fairly functional. I removed it later on though when I received a free copy of Home and Office student Edition 2010 after doing a survey for Microsoft. It took me a while to get used to it but I actually like its features better.

Old 08-05-14, 03:05 AM
Ernie, virtual machines (VMs) are actually really easy to use. The big thing you have to remember is that you are running another computer inside your computer. So, you have to perform an installation of an operating system (in this case, you want Windows XP) before you can do anything with it. This should fix your compatibility problems because the VM has virtual hardware (Your physical computer pretends that it has a 32-bit CPU and a separate hard drive, etc.).

I recommend VMWare Player (https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...are_player/6_0). It's free for personal use and is from the top name in the virtual machine industry. Download and install that.

Then download the Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD image file (aka an ISO file). To do that:
1. go to Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File from Official Microsoft Download Center
2. click on download
3. on the next screen click "Proceed with this download" and click next
4. click "No thanks and continue"
That should download a file that ends in .iso.

Once the ISO is downloaded, open up VMWare Player and click on "Create new virtual machine". Select the "Installer disk image file (iso)" radio button, click browse, and grab the XP ISO you downloaded earlier. At this point, I'm in the dark, as I don't have an ISO to run through this myself at the moment. However, I can give you a good idea of what to expect. You will first be setting up the hardware of the VM. Using the default values is your best bet, as Player is good at guessing what you need. After that, you will power up your VM. You'll see a screen with a VMWare logo that looks like the BIOS screen you get when you boot up your physical machine. After that, just follow the XP installation instructions.

Once XP is installed, you can install the programs you want on the VM. Just stick the installation CD in (the VM should auto-detect) and install.

Old 08-05-14, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
I build and use VMs all the time at work and we use VMWare like josh recommended - it's as easy as he makes it sound.

Just make sure you grab a 32 bit XP .iso file.

Old 08-06-14, 03:01 PM
I suggest going the XP Mode route. It requires two installations. If you use VMWare, it will require a retail or upgrade license of Windows XP.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7