Unable to install windows 7 updates (or anything else!)

Old 08-10-14, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Unable to install windows 7 updates (or anything else!)

My Windows Module Installer was making my computer sloooow so I followed some advice on a Windows forum and disabled (not sure if that's the correct word) it. When I tried to manually install updates I found that now I can't install anything, even after reversing what I did plus following a bunch of other advice. I love that my computer isn't slowed down now but I'd like to be able to install the updates and other programs. When I try to install updates I get error code 8007045D.

Here's the instructions that I followed initially:
Click onStart, in the Start Search box, type “msconfig” without the quotes and then press Enter.
b. Click Continue whenUser Account Control prompt is displayed.
c. In the System Configuration window that is displayed, open the Services tab.
d. Locate and clear the Windows Module Installer check box.
e. ClickOK save your changes and exit the dialog box.
f. Next, open Services window by typing “services.msc” without the quotes in the start search field.
g. Double-Click on Windows Module Installer.
h. Change the Startup type of Windows Module Installer to Manual.
i. Click Apply.
j. If the services status is running, click on Stop button.
k. Click OK.

I also followed these instructions:
Follow these steps to clear the problem history report:

Open Action Center by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, and then, under System and Security, clicking Review your computer's status.

Click Maintenance, and then, under Check for solutions to problem reports, click View reliability history.

Click View all problem reports.

At the bottom of the Review problem reports page, click Clear all problem reports.

In trying to restore my ability to install I reversed the steps for the Module Installer. I also did:
  • Fix problems with windows update
  • MS fixit
  • Check for performance issues
  • Run maintenance tasks
  • disc cleanup
  • Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
  • Windows update diagnostic
  • ran a full chkdsk (no errors found)
  • ran the system file checker tool (no problems found)
  • Performed a clean boot (no problems found)

And of course I've rebooted about 10 bazillion times.
I've tried downloading updates from the Windows website but they won't install.
I also haven't been able to install a regular program.
I can't do a Restore because I never created a date to restore to.

At this point my system config has:
Windows Update running
Windows Module Installer stopped
Windows Installer stopped

services.msc has:
Windows Update started/auto
Windows Module Installer started/auto
Windows Installer started/auto
It seems like I changed these to started/auto many times. The module installer and installer keep going back to stopped/manual

In the Control Panel I have Updates listed as "Install Updates Automatically".

Another thing I did that was suggested:
BITS
Step 1:
a. Click on Start, type "services.msc" (without quotes) in start search box and press Enter.
b. Locate Windows Update service.
c. Right click on the Windows Update service and select Properties.
d. In Start-up type, select Enable.
e. Click Start under Service status.
f. Click OK.
g. Repeat the steps c to f for the following services also:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service.

What I really want is for the Module Installer (TrustedInstaller.exe) to not run automatically. And I want to be able to manually install suggested updates every week. But I'll settle for getting my computer back to the way it was so I can have my updates.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks!
June

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-14, 03:17 PM
J
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
I'm not going to take the time to give you step by step instructions but do a google search on "how to restore my computer to an earlier date using windows 7"

This will allow you to restore your computer to a date earlier than the time you began making all the changes.

Old 08-10-14, 03:34 PM
Thanks but I've tried that. The only restore point is one I created yesterday when I discovered that I didn't have any.

Old 08-10-14, 07:47 PM
H
I don't think you have tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter which is software from Microsoft although you did mention troubleshoot windows update. Anyway here is the link to Microsoft's website Open the Windows Update troubleshooter - Microsoft Windows Help . Look for Windows Update Troubleshooter in red and then click on that and install the troubleshooter.

Other than that you can do a repair of Windows with the installation disk and if you don't have a disk you can download one legally and make a disk here is a link from PCWorld How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld . Complete instructions are on their website as to how to make the disk.

Once you have your disk handy follow these instructions from Microsoft Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive . Click on the red links for further information.

You could have set your computer up for viruses or a Trojan horse program so I certainly would scan the computer first before attempting any repairs. For that I suggest SuperAntiSpyware free edition which you can get here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! .

Check off enable rescue scan and do a complete scan then click on scan your computer. It might suggest you remove some programs as they might contain or invite potentially unwanted programs. Whether you remove that program or programs is up to you. For instance I use the Weather Bug program and it has suggested I remove that but I haven't.

SuperAntiSpyware has found Trojan horse programs for me that I otherwise wouldn't have found so I really strongly suggest you use it. I can't guarantee that what I have told you will fix your problem but I really believe it should. I wish you luck and hope you post back your results.

Old 08-10-14, 08:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Windows 7 - Error Code: 8007045D (Can't install - Microsoft Community

That particular user suggests that you run chkdsk.

Also, do you have an Xbox connected to the system?

Old 08-11-14, 08:41 AM
I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooter (it downloads as Windows Update Diagnostic). I have have run chkdisc (no errors found). No Xbox or anything else connected.

I do have my windows disc. I also have Norton. Can I use that to scan instead of the SuperAntiSpyware? Also remember that my computer is running great so I'm guessing viruses, etc aren't the problem (tho I know I could have some). Thanks much!

Later: Just ran a full system scan w/Norton - no problems found.

Last edited by junestan; 08-11-14 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-11-14, 12:48 PM
H
Norton just might be your problem in the past anyway it has been a system hog and can dramatically slow down your computer. I used to use Norton and also McAfee and both slowed my system way down. From the reviews I saw on Amazon.com it seems to still be somewhat of a resource hog. I personally prefer a combination of Microsoft Security Essentials and SuperAntiSpyware both available for free and both protect my computer much better than Norton. I also save a great deal of money per year too that I can use for other things.

When you use your Windows disk you really should remove Norton so it doesn't block your repair efforts. After the repair keep the computer off the internet for a while and run several programs without Norton and you will notice a big difference in how fast your computer works and you will not see that slow lag anymore. If you see no difference you can always re-install Norton but I don't think you will want to.

Old 08-11-14, 05:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Norton will kill anything. Uninstall it.

Old 08-11-14, 08:54 PM
My problem is not that my computer runs slowly. It is running great. So the problem is not Norton. Whenever it ran slow before a message would pop up: "high disc usage by Windows module installer". Since I've made the module installer manual I've had no more trouble. My only concern is that I'd like to be able to install my updates, etc. I'd definitely be open to a free program for protection but Norton isn't my problem right now.

Old 08-11-14, 09:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Here are some things that you can try to see what's blocking your updates.
1) Boot to safe mode & try to install your updates. That's done by tapping F8 when you turn on the machine. It will take you to a black screen. Use the arrows to choose safe mode with networking. If that doesn't work, try step 2.

2) Click start, type msconfig in the run box & press enter. Click on the startup tab. Click disable all, apply, Ok, Reboot. When the machine reboots, click ok again. Try to install your updates then.

What all that does is it stops certain programs from loading into memory at boot time. It doesn't delete anything. If the updates install, it means that one of the programs that was stopped from loading at boot time, is causing the problem. We still won't know which one at that point but that's okay.

If none of that helps, download, install, update & run anti malware from malwarebytes.org

Old 08-12-14, 07:08 PM
Wink Progress!

You're my hero! My computer seemed to just ignore F8 so never did boot to safe mode. So I tried option 2. For the last week or so I've had 4 updates waiting to be installed. Today there were 20. 16 of those downloaded and installed. The original 4 still won't even download. I'm just going to forget them. I also was able to download a program off the internet - I couldn't do that before. So I'm happy!
Thanks!!
June

Old 08-12-14, 08:28 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm glad to hear that it worked. More can be done to determine what program was conflicting with the updates but I doubt that you want to go through all that work. Have fun!

Old 08-12-14, 11:12 PM
H
I am glad too that pulpo's advice worked for you. I think if I were you I would try to find out exactly which programs might be stopping updates. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of that was coming from Norton and not just the settings you changed. I would go to msconfig and then just turn off individual programs that auto start. First turn one program off then turn it back on if you start having problems again. Start though with Norton first and then try turning other things off. Right now though everything looks o.k. so I wouldn't do anything yet.

Old 08-15-14, 09:01 PM
It's all good

So far the Modules Installer has not been slowing things down. Updates do not install automatically but I can install them manually (except for those original stubborn 4 updates) which is fine w/me. Life is good.

I've had this little refurbished ebay laptop (my 3rd) for several years, all w/Norton and this is my 1st problem. My other laptops had Norton too and I had no problems. So it's hard for me to get too worked up about Norton.

But what do I know? Not a whole lot. And obviously you and others have had problems w/it. When I have time I might poke around into the programs a bit. But right now I'm happy - if it ain't broke.....

Thanks again for your help!