vaio laptop charger

Old 08-19-14, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vaio laptop charger

Hello everyone

my sony vaio laptop battery charger plug wobbles and won't make a good connection. Pulled the bottom of the case off - too easy I was happy to learn.

the female is pretty loose, but it has some kind of cloth material covering up the connection. before I go rooting around in there, anybody mess with one of these before?

my work i.t. guy said it would cost too much to fix, $110 for the part, so junk it because it's 6 years old. same guy who put a new hard drive in it and updated it to windows 7 right when that came out.

any ideas ? many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-14, 08:27 PM
I have never worked with charging ports before but have looked in on threads before from people who have. What I can tell you is that your IT guy probably doesn't want to fool with the repair. In a way I don't blame him as if you apply too much heat you can ruin your laptop.

As for a new part being necessary maybe and maybe not as I have heard sometimes all you need to do is just re-solder the part. If necessary though you can probably find the part you need on e-bay real cheap. I have found replacement screens and other Dell parts on e-bay easily and they are cheap and good quality. Sony Vaio's are very common too so you should easily find the part cheap and easily on e-bay.

Old 08-19-14, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
The coaxial power connection system is used in practically everything from radar detectors, to scanners, to most electronic equipment including laptop computers. The jack itself is held to the board with three solder connections only. From constant use the solder connections on the board fatigue and crack. The repair usually just requires resoldering the pins but attention must be paid to detail as a short can be created if the job is done sloppily.

Name:  coaxia;.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 08-20-14, 04:19 AM
It can be tedious - I fixed one using this method -

Toshiba Satellite M35X A75 power jack problem | Laptop Repair 101

If you poke around the site - you can also solder wire in place of the connector and secure a connector to the outside of the case.

Old 08-20-14, 07:43 AM
looks like it's a plug in. prices vary from a low of $5 to $30. since there's no soldering, i'll give it a try. thanks

Old 08-20-14, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
looks like it's a plug in. prices vary from a low of $5 to $30. since there's no soldering, i'll give it a try. thanks
There is no repair that doesn't require soldering.

Old 08-20-14, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Even if it does require soldering, a good repair shop wouldn't charge more than $25-30 for a simple job like that I would think? As long as they don't have to disassemble the PC anyway.

Old 09-16-14, 02:09 PM
well, the new port has a plug into the board. simple. but it's still not charging the battery unless you jiggle it. i'm noticing that the male plug on the charger will click when you press it into it's rubber housing. it's one of the L-shaped housings, and it seems loose. the new female port is tight.

that's got to be it, right ??

I can get a new charger, albeit one from China, for $8, which is what the new port cost - go figure.