remove proprietary software from flash drive?

Old 08-23-14, 01:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That directory is "write protected" That means that it can't be changed. In the Unix & Linux world, the permissions for that directory would be r-xr-xr-x That means that the owner & all users of the drive can read & execute (run) what's there but can't change it. Write permissions would be required to delete it. In that case it would be rwxrwxrwx That would give all users the ability to make changes.
I posted some links to tools that may be able to change those permissions.

Old 08-23-14, 01:41 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I see. Thanks Pulpo. I might go ahead and look into that further, the possibility/abilty to change the permissions for that directory.

Old 08-24-14, 08:54 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I,d plug intocomputer Reformat the drive, Check memory difference. If didn't delete get a 16 GB at amazon for about ten bucks. Why mess witha flash drive that if not done correctly could affect other devices.

Old 08-24-14, 09:41 PM
I,d plug intocomputer Reformat the drive, Check memory difference. If didn't delete get a 16 GB at amazon for about ten bucks. Why mess witha flash drive that if not done correctly could affect other devices.
I'm unclear about what you mean in that first sentence quoted above. I did try "reformatting" the flash drive, several times, attempting with multiple methods. I had no success trying to format (or reformat) or get rid of the firmware or program or whatever it actually is, as I had discussed. I realize also that I could and probably should throw it away and can buy a new trouble-free one with more GB for cheap. If I needed one, i probably would, but actually, I don't. At this time anyway. Thanks

Old 08-25-14, 04:48 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Well, the flash drive has a hidden partition.
Formatting the drive only formats the visible partition.

To re-partition the flash drive, you would need a drive utility.
I've use one called SwissKnife

CompuApps SwissKnife V3 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

to create partitions or format drives where windows would not work.

Old 08-25-14, 09:43 AM
Well, the flash drive has a hidden partition. Formatting the drive only formats the visible partition. To re-partition the flash drive, you would need a drive utility. I've use one called SwissKnife
CompuApps SwissKnife V3 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
to create partitions or format drives where windows would not work.
I'm not so sure the Kingston security "vault" program or firmware or whatever it is I want to get rid of is in a hidden partition, as it actually appears with both Windows and Linux disk management as a separate drive letter than the rest of the drive. Yet you may be right about it actually being "hidden" as when I looked for it using Gparted (post #6 this thread) Gparted does not show the drive in the drop-down list which lists the various drives connected to the computer. Obviously I lack expertise/understanding but I would think unless a lot of this boils down to first trying to change permissions as per Pulpo suggested, that a utility such as Gparted would've been able to help me out. Maybe that SwissKnife could do the trick where others haven't but for one thing those reviews seem to indicate it includes a lot of additional un-needed applications along with it, along with other headaches I'd prefer to avoid, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the advice/suggestion. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: