Format great... multiple picture not

Old 03-17-01, 10:35 PM
BDJJOT
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Yowzer again.... thanks for the great instructions an a FDISK procedure. NOW I can't get the screen to show 'normal' 256 or 16bit color. Safe mode yes but beyond that it is now 4-5 1" wide flickering bands of screen. very hard to find the mouse clicker on
Not entirely sure what the video card is. Oaks is the one that is loaded for it, this is a P190? or in that range, I forget exactly (it is on a work puter). Color had worked prior to format so it must? be a config problem? WIN98,
I cannot get it to go beyond the safe mode for color. Or of course most any other use at this point...To clearify I do get a normal full screen in safe mode but will revert to the multiple flickering lil screens if I just let it boot 'normally'

Old 03-18-01, 05:36 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/
click on DISPLAY icon
click on settings tab
select 256 or 16 colors (not 16 bit)
select 640 x 480 screen size (lowest settings)

Now what happens in a normal boot.

These may not be the settings that you want, in fact most likely not, but what I am aiming for a a normal boot and a non-flictering display, then we will deal with the getting it set up properly.

I usually recommend if the old system will boot up at all, to find and write down the names of the video card, sound card, modem, cd rom before using fdisk or formatting the drive.

I understand it is win98 that you are using, is this the system that was on there before ?

The aim is to get a normal boot up then we will deal with getting correct drivers in for the video/monitor.

Go to the monitors manufacture site and get the latest driver for it. Most of the time it is the video card settings or driver is the problem, but check the monitors web site also.

Old 03-18-01, 05:39 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Also check in the control panel, click SYSTEM icon,
select device manager,
look under monitors or display adapters, what is listed here and is there any ? or ! beside the names ?

Old 03-18-01, 08:09 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Go to http://www.windrivers.com you will need to know what type/model your video card is. So you may have to pull it out and write down what is on the chip etc. Look it up at Windrivers and install the proper video drivers. That's your problem...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: