64bit OS

Old 08-23-14, 03:55 PM
64bit OS

Looking to buy a new laptop and noticed that most of them are pre loaded with Win 8.1 (64bit). I had the impression that 64bit OS was mainly for business.

So is 64bit OS the way to go?

And what we do with all the programs and utilities we accumulated over the years? Are they easy to replace?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-14, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
I did not know they were still offering 32 bit on new systems. I thought 64 bit has been the norm for many years. The big choice however is between Windows 7 and 8. It seems most businesses are choosing to stick with 7. While the 8.1 update is an improvement I've chosen to stick with 7 on my desktops.

Old 08-23-14, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
The world has evolved past the 32 bit operating system.

And 8.1 works just fine, many are just intimidated by it since it's different looking.

Old 08-23-14, 04:51 PM
So I will go for the 64 bit but it will be a hard choice between 7 or 8.1.

Old 08-24-14, 05:33 AM
Does Windows 8.1 have a files / folders management similar to Vista Windows Explorer?

How about MSConfig and RegEdit32?

Old 08-24-14, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, it has all the same things, just set up differently. Just a learning curve to finding everything or setting it up the way you like it. There's a desktop app, so it looks like what you're used to, and you can add icons to it for the things you use most, so you can find them easily. No start menu like you're used to.

Old 08-24-14, 07:00 AM
Sounds good, thanks for your time

Old 08-24-14, 07:54 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Both msconfig & regedit can be run in 8.1. I don't see how they could eliminate those but MS has a way of doing strange things.

Old 08-24-14, 10:07 AM
If you can wait till spring 2015 it might be worth it. I don't know if this woman knows what she is talking about but it sounds interesting to me.

Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users | ZDNet

Old 08-24-14, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Or just use Linux and forget the MS BS. The interface on some distros still look and work like older Windows interfaces though they are up to date modern 64 bit OSes

Old 08-24-14, 10:31 AM
If you can wait till spring 2015 it might be worth it. I don't know if this woman knows what she is talking about but it sounds interesting to me.

Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users | ZDNet
There have been lots of articles along the same line. It looks like Windows 9 is going to be a major jump in the evolution of operating systems. Windows 7 is going to be like XP and hang around for quite a while. Windows 8 is going to be like Vista and rapidly go away when Windows 9 comes out!
Windows 8 and 8.1 are both complete disasters in the view of many in the whole idea of trying to use the same OS for computers and tablets has proven to be a bad move on Microsoft's part.

Old 08-24-14, 12:09 PM
I knew MS may bring a new Windows version sometimes next year but that’s not a reason for me to stop getting 8.1 if I decide to do so. I also hear that an update will be available for all 8.1 users but don’t know if it will be free or not.

I did try Linux with different flavors a few months back but never liked the GUI. Perhaps in the winter I will play with it a bit more but in any case the new laptop I plan to buy comes with 8.1(64bit) pre installed regardless if I like it or not.

Since the new laptop I’m looking at (Dell Inspiron 1700, 5000 series) has 1TB HD with 8GB RAM I’m thinking to try to have a dual boot system (8.1/64bit with Vista 32bit). Don’t know if this is possible or a good idea but I’m searching to find out.

Old 08-24-14, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Many new computers allow you the option of Windows 7 or 8. I think most ship with 7 pre-installed but allow a free upgrade to 8 if you choose.

Why on earth do you want Vista. Not that I'm bashing Vista but why do you need it? Do you have some programs that can't run any other way?

Old 08-24-14, 03:04 PM
In my area (Montreal, Canada) I checked 3 stores caring Dell laptops and all had Windows 8.1(64bit) pre installed. Dell online offered the same.

I need Vista for my EccoPro PIM which I use since 1993 plus some DVD utilities which I’m sure they will not work with Windows 8.1. The Windows Upgrade Assistant does not say anything about EccoPro so I don’t know if it will work or not with Windows. In addition, I’m sure I will find other programs like Winzip, Rar, PaintshopPro, Mach3 etc. which may not work with the new Windows therefore it will be nice to have Vista until I feel comfortable with the new Windows.

From what I read, MS OneNote may be a good alternative to EccoPro but I will not know until I get this program.

Old 08-24-14, 05:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
There is no way that Linux is a replacement for the average windows user. I am eons ahead of the average user & while I have both Linux & Unix, they will never replace windows completely.

Edit: If I were to buy another computer tomorrow, it would be another Win 7.

Old 08-24-14, 06:07 PM
There is no way that Linux is a replacement for the average windows user. I am eons ahead of the average user & while I have both Linux & Unix, they will never replace windows completely.

Edit: If I were to buy another computer tomorrow, it would be another Win 7.
I certainly agree with the statements! Linux certainly has its place but in most cases it's not suitable for everyday computing for the average user.

Windows 7 is certainly still my choice for an OS as it is for most corporations. Win 8 and its variants will never become a mainstream operating system. Like Vista that will be an anomaly that will rapidly go away as soon as the next OS comes out.

Old 08-24-14, 06:47 PM
I agree with Pulpo, Linux is not a replacement for the average windows user but if I HAD to use it, probably I would have manage with it

I never tried windows 7 or 8 but I know a lot of people still buy 7 instead of 8. In my case, I’m forced to get windows 8(64bit) for reasons I explained above. But even if I had a choice, I think I would have gone with windows 8. I remember when Vista came on the market, all comments were negative since it was completely different than XP but Vista for me has been one of the best systems I ever had and I had them all from DOS to Vista. That’s my experience

Old 08-24-14, 06:53 PM
I agree Windows 8 and 8.1 in my opinion is awful from everything I have seen of screen shots and most of the critics. However if you don't want to wait until MS makes up its mind to ship Windows 9 make sure you download the classic shell as that will at least make it a bit more manageable from most accounts. LibreOffice though which is free for both Windows and Linux might solve some of your One Note issues without having to have to buy anything. You can find out more about LibreOffice here and download it Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People.

Old 08-24-14, 10:01 PM
Classic Shell looks pretty good hedgeclippers, thanks. I download it already to have it ready.

I do have the LibreOffice and plan to give it a good try but is the OneNote that I would like to have which is not included.

MS Office Home and Student 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) cost $130.00 here and OneNote only cost $110.00. So it will be a hard choice

Old 08-24-14, 10:43 PM
In my opinion spending the extra $20.00 to get the whole office package is worth it as there are some things in Office now that I like, like for instance being able to create PDF documents. There are some things though that LibreOffice seems to be able to open better and create better although I haven't really used it much to create documents yet. Older versions than Office 2010, which is what I have in the Home and Student version, may not work with Windows 8 so be sure to check the compatibility wizard Microsoft has online to be sure if you have an old copy.

Sometimes you can force an older program to work but it is better if you have a newer version anyway as formats change over time.

Old 08-24-14, 11:53 PM
I did not know that with Office you can make PDF docs, that's great.

Old 08-25-14, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
I use 8.1 without the classic shell. IMO, that's just a crutch - the UI is different than the Windows 7 UI so there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get past the intimidation, it works just fine.

BTW, this is my work PC - my entire company will be on 8.1 by the end of September.

Old 08-25-14, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Windows 8/8.1 comes with the desktop app to make it look like the old Windows. All the Classic Shell does, is put a Start button at the left bottom of the screen, which takes you to the new main page, which is what clicking on the left bottom does anyway. I'm not quite sure why anyone would bother with Classic Shell, IMO. It doesn't bring back the old Start button the way it once was.

Old 08-25-14, 10:23 AM
My new laptop will come with windows 8.1(64bit) pre installed and no dvd. If I want to have dual boot (windows 8.1/Vista) I will have nothing to re install windows. Asking the salesman he did not provide a clean answer. Does windows 8.1 has a utility to copy and make a dvd of the OS which i can use to boot the laptop?

I remember a few years back an HP laptop had a utility which guided you to copy the D:\ drive where all the OS files were installed and make a dvd. I think I used 3 dvds

Old 08-25-14, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
You can buy a USB DVD drive for very little money.

I would ask the salesman to provide an installation disc for the OS.

Old 08-25-14, 01:32 PM
I don't understand what a USB DVD will do, but I do have a USB HD. Salesman will not do anything like that but he said I can backup the OS and he is not sure if the backup will be suitable to boot the laptop.

Old 08-25-14, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
The USB DVD suggestion was so you would have a drive on which you could create backup discs and/or load them to restore.

Old 08-25-14, 06:09 PM
I think what he meant was no OS disk comes with the computer like days of old. When I bought my 8200 from Dell back in 2000 I had a box of disks that came with it, not so much now days.

Old 08-25-14, 07:18 PM
Temporarily Suspended
OEM recovery discs can be ordered from the manufacturer.

Old 08-25-14, 07:31 PM
I got my last laptop from Dell in 2007 and got 6 DVDs with it for all installed programs including Vista but today I bought my new Dell from a local store and I just got the laptop with the power supply. I will call tomorrow Dell to see if I can get the OEM recovery disk

Old 08-26-14, 03:53 AM
The recovery disk is usually supplied with new Dells as a disk partition on the hard drive. It's been drive D in the past.

Old 08-26-14, 06:21 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW, we've had customers who have had to reformat the OS on Dell computers that were new out of the box in order to get them to work correctly - it was like Dell had done something to the OS beyond what Microsoft shipped to them. Hence, my 2 would be to get the discs from Microsoft and not Dell if you have to put some effort into obtaining them.

I know, sounds like a conspiracy theory but it's what happened here in the office.

Old 08-26-14, 06:55 AM
I was able to find on Dells site a lot of info regarding my laptop like maintenance / user manuals plus a place where I ordered an OS recovery DVD. Very cool.

Old 08-26-14, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, cool.

Looking back at my previous post, I don't want to raise an alarm, as the vast majority of Dell systems work just fine; it's just been a handful we've seen that needed to be formatted.

Old 08-26-14, 08:53 AM
I understand mitch, in the past I bought 2 Dell desktops and 2 laptops and have been very satisfied with the machines and service

Old 08-26-14, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
I think you're all set then. Enjoy the new machine.

Old 08-26-14, 01:35 PM
FWIW, we've had customers who have had to reformat the OS on Dell computers that were new out of the box in order to get them to work correctly - it was like Dell had done something to the OS beyond what Microsoft shipped to them. Hence, my 2 would be to get the discs from Microsoft and not Dell if you have to put some effort into obtaining them.

I know, sounds like a conspiracy theory but it's what happened here in the office.
I've also heard of that happening but Microsoft will not ship you OEM OS discs for a system they didn't sell! The only option is to get the OS discs from Dell.

Old 08-26-14, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Microsoft at least used to provide the discs for a nominal fee like $5 - no license key, you had to have that already.

Old 08-26-14, 03:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
MS only sells retail versions of the OS. It's been that way forever. A retail version is preferred, if you don't mind paying a higher price. All of the OEMs add what some people call crapware. At this point in time, go for the least expensive route.

Old 08-26-14, 06:03 PM
Microsoft at least used to provide the discs for a nominal fee like $5 - no license key, you had to have that already.
Not anymore! You'll have to find a copy of the version you want and download it then burn your own disk.