smart phone and plan

Old 08-30-14, 08:44 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
smart phone and plan

Hello
I am interested in the Nokia Lumia Icon.
I am also trying to weigh the pros and cons of plans.
if I buy the phone outright then go to a carrier for activation with no contract would that be a viable way to do this?
I would get 1 GB data as this phone really gets WI FI quite good and I am in the DC area.
I would also look for free voice and text.
I can't seem to coordinate this with carriers as each is trying to get in my pocket.
I do realize the phone is expensive but with insurance I would think that once the initial obligation is out of the way I have more flexibility and I have to pay for the phone sooner or later.
Am I on the right path?
Peter

Old 08-30-14, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It will depend on what OS you want. I understand the Icon uses Windows....ehh. You can get an Apple I Phone 4 for free, or a Motorola Moto X for about $50, which is Android based. Unless you really abuse the phone, insurance is a giveaway to the phone company. You'll pay $7 a month for insurance, where in 12 months you could just buy a new phone.

I have the MotoX with AT&T with 2gb, unlimited talk and text for about $80 Do you need a big phone/small tablet?

Old 08-30-14, 12:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not all phones work with all carriers. If you want that particular phone, you have already limited your choices. Verizon usually has the most expensive plans no matter what phone you buy. Metro PCS usually has less expensive plans. Why are set on that particular phone?

Old 08-30-14, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I use straight talk..

No Contract Cell Phones | Basic & Smartphones | StraightTalk Wireless

Unlimited call and text with 3gb of LTE speed for internet is 48 a month. After the 3 gb is used they throttle you to 3g...

Dont know if they have your phone.. You need to put in zip code.. Sometimes walmart has phones that are not shown on the straight talk site..

I just have a basic plan and non smart phone thats 32 a month for 1500 minutes, unlimited text and 100 kb internet..

I use wifi when I can.

My son has I phone and uses wifi when he can. He watches vids all day. He eats up the 3 gb pretty fast..

But if I went to a carrier it would be 150 bucks a month for like a 10gb plan or something like that

Old 08-30-14, 01:26 PM
P
smart phone and plan

Thanks for the help.
I like my pc machines running Win 8.1.
I have tried Mac and Android but really like the Windows phone which has come a long way.
I was thinking that you really pay one end or the other so if I paid up front for the Icon, I would then have no contact and about a $60 mo. bill.
These new smart phones really pick up Wi-Fi so 1GB would do with unlimited talk and text.
ATT has good coverage as does Verizon so I will drop in to each store and see if what I want can be done.

I am on a pension but this is something I really would like to have and is worth sacrificing for.

Once the phone is out of the way, $ 60 a month is manageable for 1 GB data, and unlimited talk and text..

I would only take the insurance that comes with the manufacturer of the phone -Nokia but none extra. That is of course there is an y insurance at all. I would think thee is at least a warranty.

Old 08-30-14, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
The only windows phone they offer is the hauwei H1

Straight Talk Site Session Expired

Old 08-30-14, 01:56 PM
B
If the phone uses a sim card you can purchase the card from straight talk. I have used straight talk with an android based smart phone for several years. I pay 45 per month unlimited talk and text and 5gb

Old 08-30-14, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
From what I'm reading, the only carrier for this is Verizon, and only available thru Verizon, Amazon or Microsoft. So, you might as well go to Verizon and see what kinds of plans they offer.

Old 08-30-14, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Yes any gsm phone you buy elsewhere with a sim card you can bring to straight talk..

see here...

Prepaid SIM Cards | StraightTalk Wireless

Oh just read cdma phones too...???

Old 08-30-14, 03:00 PM
P
ask and learn

I just found out that the storage in the Icon is 32 GB but the
Windows OS HTC One M8 has a card you can use to expand the storage; the camera is not as good quality. More homework.
I think I am stuck with Verizon or ATT -I have seen the phones in both stores.

PS I came back as the person who told me about the HTC forgot to mention it was Android.

Old 08-30-14, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
I think you should prioritize what you want in a phone Peter. Is the camera very important, or ease of Internet use and text more so. Voice quality? There are many review sites (Consumer Reports, CNET, PCMag, etc) that break down features and compatibility with different providers.

Old 08-30-14, 03:42 PM
P
priority

Hi GG
I am trying.
It is all paring down to what we want.
Camera for the wife, connectivity to turn data off, Cortana is quite impressive, which leads to the Icon.
The only draw back is the storage at 32 GB internal and 7GB cloud with no card. However, you can't have everything.
I'll drop in to Verizon and ATT and let you know.
Peter

Old 08-30-14, 04:16 PM
Will you be using this as a replacement of a PC or tablet? 32 mb is a Bunch of on board storage.

Old 08-31-14, 05:58 AM
P
drawbacks

It is a lot of storage and I can live with it.
For the price you would think there would be additional storage.

But, what I just found disturbing, in the fine print, is that the battery cannot be replaced. What do you do if a shaky battery was installed and you cannot replace it.

I cannot complain if most phones have a non replaceable battery but if most do I would not buy the hone b/c of this. Do you agree?

Old 08-31-14, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Honestly, it's usually time for a new phone after 2 years, so the battery issue would be moot. I've never had to replace a battery in those 2 years.

Old 08-31-14, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Honestly, it's usually time for a new phone after 2 years
Why is that? I've had the same Nokia flip phone for almost 7 yrs and it's still going strong on the original battery. I have to charge it a bit more often, but it still lasts 2 days normally.

Old 08-31-14, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
I have had my phone for more then two years... I do not replace them just for the sake of it..

As I stated the hauwei from straight talk is the only windows * phone I know that has a replacable battery...

But possible you want the $499 nokia for the 20 megapixal camera??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmHKohGmHE

Old 08-31-14, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
I'm talking about Smart phones. They're usually obsolete after a year. I just trade them in for the same plan.

Old 08-31-14, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
I'm talking about Smart phones.
LOL... I never owned a smart phone..I know all my kids need chargers everywhere they go as the batterys die fast..

I had to get my son a charger pack for his I phone. Now he has two things he needs to charge...he he...

Old 08-31-14, 10:56 AM
P
Way Way

I have a Hauwei pronounced way way with T - Mobile. It has 1000 minutes talk and text prepaid and no data plan. it is not good at receiving WI - FI but I never thought it would as it is only a entry level Prism.
Now I would like the Windows phone and yes, the camera is very important to my wife as she is an artist and photographer for her living.
I will find the right combination sooner or later.
FWIW, I think I would keep it for more than a couple of years and be very happy with what is has now. I know there will always be cutting edge inventions but I would be complacent with a mine for a few years. My age and health are a concern so I am not looking to far down the road. I want some fun while I can get it.

Old 08-31-14, 04:36 PM
Battery usage can usually be trimmed in the phone's "settings". You don't need a tremendously bright display, which eats up a lot. I was leery about not being able to change batteries on my MotoX, but they CAN be changed by someone in the "know". I've had it over 2 years with no depreciation in the battery life to amount to anything.

Old 09-01-14, 05:10 AM
P
batteries

During my searching I have found that the phones with batteries that cannot be replaced can be done so by the manufacturer store but it is not cheap - about $90.
I have read many cases where people could not hold a charge on a new phone, got it replaced for 90 and after 3 months it happened again. They were asked how they are using the phone and about battery saving and they were doing it right.This is not an isolated incident.
I think this new "sealed " battery is going to be the thing to make $ then discarded and replaceable batteries will return. Not too soon though.
I found a couple of Windows phones that are fine with replaceable batteries -they are the Nokia Lumia 820 by ATT only and the Samsung ATIV S also by ATT. I do not like that ATT has a monopoly on the replaceable batteries, in this case.
Verizon has Windows phones but they have the sealed batteries.
I am going to look at the Nokia 820 and hope I can get a plan, after buying the phone for $450., for about 60 a month with unlimited talk and text and 1GB data relying on good WI- FI.
I am sure I will change my mind as new information comes in. I am doing this so others looking for a phone can read this thread and learn from my mistakes and searches.

Old 09-01-14, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
I'm finding on the newer smart phones, the batteries just run down fast, even if you don't use it. I don't think getting a new battery is the answer. You gotta just keep charging it up!
I guess it's the price to pay for the latest and greatest.

Old 09-01-14, 06:29 AM
B
I have a Samsung smart phone with straight talk and it operates on Verizon only. good coverage and I am happy with it. I also downloaded an app called battery saver and it helps. I only turn on web if i am going to use it so it is not constantly looking for a signal. I only charge every other day.

Old 09-01-14, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
peterr,
You are on the right track by looking at the Windows phone.
Once you get use to the interface it is as close to an extension of a desktop computer that you can get.

Had a chance to help a friend with his Windows 8 tablet and liked what it was capable of.
I went shopping for a Windows smart phone but found none of the limited choices of phones appealed to me.
My wife and I both have the Samsung Galaxy series, hers an S3 and mine an an older S2 I just bought.

If a new or newer S series Samsung is in your budget, the camera is very good and being Android you are not a slave to that useless and should be unnecessary i-tunes !

Old 09-01-14, 09:03 AM
P
Windows

Greg
I was confused as you said I was on the right track but then it seems you were discouraged by the lack of choices and also it seemed you were suggesting I should go to Android.
I was also thrown of by the I Tunes
As do not really know what that is. I am using my entry-level phone so it is hard to explain myself

Old 09-01-14, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Ok.
With smart phones you will connect them to your computer to take off pictures or to load music or programs onto them.

With an iphone you need to transfer your files to itunes then use itunes to load them onto or off your phone.
With Android or Windows phone you connect the phone to your computer and it shows up like another drive, exactly the same way as a camera would.
You then transfer files to or from the phone by just clicking and dragging.
Another advantage of the windows phone and a bit less for Android is the USB port can be used to connect to devices like printers and such.

The iphone is an ok phone but not good enough as far as I am concerned to have to deal with itunes.

Old 09-01-14, 10:41 AM
P
Clarifying

Thanks for clarifying that. I can't believe anyone would want to jump through those hoops.

Old 09-01-14, 02:06 PM
H
I personally like prepaid myself and I always pay for a year in advance with Tracfone. Only I buy my minutes on Amazon.com not Tracfone as I usually have gift certificates I can use to pay for my minutes. Tracfone has a great selection of different types of phones for not a great deal of money here is a link to what they have available for Maryland Tracfone Site Phones List page . Not really endorsing them but I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been fine. Be sure to put in your own zip code for the exact phones available to you.

Old 09-02-14, 05:04 AM
P
I had Tracfone for emergencies for years but went to T-Mobile as the minutes are less expensive.
I give $100 for 1000 minutes. Just talk and text no data unless Wi-Fi or home network.
I now want the fun of learning about the guts of the phone like I did with my pc and Win 8.1, besides communication.
I thank you for the suggestion though.

Old 09-02-14, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
If you are familiar with W8 I believe you might like the Widows phone.
There aren't as many applications for the W phone but not sure what you want to do.

I would like to have a Windows phone as I believe I could plug in my USB inspection camera and not have to drag around my laptop to use it.

Old 09-02-14, 03:05 PM
P
Windows

Hi Greg
That is my thinking. I have Win 8.1 on my machines and love it.
If I got the Windows phone synching would or should be seamless. I don't even think you would need a cable.
Windows or MS gets a lot of grief but when you think of the amount of people it serves and all it has to do, I think it is doing ok. After all, if a person is an Android lover that's great and there is a lot of free OS's out there.
I doubt they would run as well as often as Windows and do as many things.
I know I will get grief for sticking my neck out but it boils down to - to each his own.
So, I would look at upgrading to 8.1 then getting the preinstalled 8.1 phone from Windows. It seems to be a little early as it is not quite as available as it will be very soon.
Peter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: