No Sleep

Old 09-04-14, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Sleep

I have an old Dell Inspiron which recently does not go to sleep when I press the power button. I checked my config and it says when I press the power button the computer goes to sleep

When I press and hold the power button it shuts down so I will assume the button works

I find it very convenient to put the laptop to sleep. Any idea where to look for the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
What happens when you go to start>Shut down>sleep ?

Old 09-04-14, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I had that issue with wifes old PC and even though I had all the "Wake On XXX" turned off it still did it. Never could figure it out.

I think sometimes OS software overrides the BIOS somehow.

Old 09-04-14, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How about just closing the cover? It puts my Latitude to sleep. I don't like the sleep mode, since it will mess up my receiving emails on my Ipad and phone. Seems like it is just snoozing, not sleeping, and is working in the background.

Old 09-04-14, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
What happened to hibernate? Where it doesn't do anything but saves your place at what you were doing. Did that go away with Win7?

Old 09-04-14, 06:26 PM
Start>Shut down>sleep does the same. The screen goes black but I can see the light ON thats stays ON and if I touch the touchpad its like when I have the screen saver. Never closed the lid because dont want to wear off the 2 hinges - I'm in/out my office quite often.

Old 09-04-14, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
What OS are you running?
-------------------------

Old 09-04-14, 08:22 PM
Vista Home SP2 and if of any help Intel dual core 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD

Old 09-04-14, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Vista has problems in that area. I have Vista business pro SP2.

I usually close the cover and it goes to sleep. When I reopen the cover the comp is locked and I have to enter my password. Lately when I've opened the cover I see two short bursts of activity on the hard drive via the front panel LED and the system locks up. I see no activity on the hard drive and I'm forced to do a hard restart.

Old 09-04-14, 10:54 PM
Just did a test and closing the cover the comp still runs. So the only way to shut off mine is either thru the ON/OFF button or thru the start menu.

Old 09-05-14, 07:37 AM
It’s fixed! While I was checking my settings I went to the Power Options window and in there I have 3 settings: Balanced, Power Saver & High Performance. The High Performance radio button was checked and out of curiosity I checked the Balanced button. Then I closed the window and pressed the power button on the laptop and it worked like before.

This morning I went back to the same window and checked back to the High Performance radio button and the power button on the laptop did not work.

I guess something must have happened because I remember since I got the laptop I always had the High Performance radio button checked.

Old 09-05-14, 08:48 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I never liked the sleep & hibernate options. I don't understand the point. They really don't save money or wear & tear on the HD. I don't know what else they do. My machines are running 24/7.

Old 09-05-14, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
I never liked the sleep & hibernate options. I don't understand the point. They really don't save money or wear & tear on the HD.
Well, I have multiple tabs and windows open all the time, news feeds, here, FB sometimes, others. Even when I'm not active, sometimes a feed will have video or something that kicks the CPU into high gear which turns the fans on tornado mode. Loud enough to hear through the wall in the bedroom. Going to sleep powers down (somewhat) the monitor and the only fan running is the P/S (though CPU fan may be on very slow). I don't have a Kill-A-Watt or anything, but it must be using less juice just from the monitor and the fan being off/slowed. I know, it's miniscule, but it's something. And it's awake again right where I was when I hit a key or move the mouse. I'm a firm believer in never shutting down completely, since those actions are harder on electronics than running constantly. I dunno whether it made a difference, but my car's were broken into once (actually we left them unlocked) and they came in the garage. Took my cell and the opener remote but maybe didn't notice the PC which could have been carted off pretty easy if they wanted.

Could probably save more just by turning off the monitor, but that wouldn't solve the noisy fans issue.

Old 09-05-14, 09:43 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I've been in a situation like that. I had to get off my butt & change the power supply (desktop) I shut the monitor on my desktop when I leave the house. I refuse to have to reopen all those tabs over & over again.

Old 09-05-14, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
I like sleep mode because then mu computer doesn't heat up the room. Yes, it produces that much heat. It is a gaming rig. Great for browsing the forum site!

Old 09-05-14, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
I refuse to have to reopen all those tabs over & over again.
Sleep doesn't do that, though I think hibernate does? After waking up you do have to refresh tabs sometimes to see current status, but they don't have to reload completely.

Old 09-05-14, 04:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I meant shutting down as far as having to reopen the tabs. Also, I like the room warm. The extra 8 degrees keeps it cozy & it keeps the land lady's oil bill low.

Old 09-05-14, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
The extra 8 degrees keeps it cozy & it keeps the land lady's oil bill low.
Lol....well, I guess it's cheaper than a space heater...........

Old 09-05-14, 04:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended
LOL It certainly is cheaper. Try it this winter.

Old 09-06-14, 01:16 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
If I had to rely on a computer for heat I would freeze to death and the temperature in my area rarely falls below about 35 degrees.

I have never understood the difference between sleep and hibernate. On this computer (my main unit, a tower) I start it once and then will put it to sleep and restart many times throughout the day. My laptop, when I use it, also uses the sleep function. However, my HP Slimline will NOT stay in sleep mode whatever I do. IF I use the PS-2 keyboard it will go into sleep but then not recognize the keyboard when I want it to wake up. Using a USB keyboard solves that problem but then when I put it to sleep it wakes up all by itself within a minute or so.

Not asking for any help, just making an observation.

Old 09-06-14, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
I have never understood the difference between sleep and hibernate.
Sleep shuts the computer off but still maintains power to the RAM so that everything stays stored in it. When it starts back up everything can be restored quickly.

Hibernate writes a file to the HD of what is on the RAM and then shuts down completely. When you turn it back on, the OS reads the data and restores the info to the RAM and you're back up. It is faster then a reboot because it is not reloading the entire OS.

If you lose power to your computer and it is in sleep mode, all will be lost. If hibernating and you lose power, it is all still OK.

Old 09-06-14, 09:09 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, Tolyn. Never was an issue for me.