HP Pavilion G7-1340dx Replace screen or is the motherboard bad?

Old 09-05-14, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question HP Pavilion G7-1340dx Replace screen or is the motherboard bad?

I have a friend who wants me to fix their computer (HP G7-1340dx) It looks like the screen or motherboard is bad (The machine has onboard Intel HD video) I am thinking it is just the LCD panel as it looks fine hooked up to an external monitor but I just want to make sure before I just go throwing my friends money away on this computer

Here is a picture of when the computer is turned on (I pressed ESC to pause the startup) The text is white against a red background where it should be a black background with white text

Here is another picture showing the system properties screen
The screen is not as bad in this photo but the colors are still messed up (Most noticeable on the left hand corner where the HP logo is

I know it is probably a bad LCD panel but I have never seen one fail like this before so I just have to ask to avoid what I mentioned before (Wasting money)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you are right especially since you said you used an external monitor and you saw no problems with the picture being generated. Well it certainly isn't too surprising because I have read elsewhere on other websites about screen failures on both laptop screens and tv sets. It doesn't have to be very old either for the screen to fail especially if they get a bad supplier. Is this still on warranty? I ask because new screens can be expensive and sometimes even finding the right screen within the same model can be difficult.

Gateway for instance has two different classes of screens within an old model of laptop I have which I found I could exchange for another screen on another broken Gateway. I gave up on it though as it was too difficult to salvage from the old broken laptop. If I had had the other screen though and could have removed it from the dead laptop I couldn't have used it as it had the wrong connector. If you do decide to replace it yourself look for authorized vendors of HP parts as they can usually better match a part and make sure the lcd screen fits.

I would give them the model number,system id and product id to make sure they match the screen right. An e-bay seller might be able to get you a good screen and it would be cheaper but you need to make sure they will take the screen back if it doesn't work as some dealers don't take returns. I hope too that HP has a guide on replacing the screen. Usually screen replacement is fairly easy but there can be some problems.

Old 09-06-14, 11:44 AM
If the display looks normal on the external monitor, this is almost certainly an issue with the screen. The same graphics chip outputs video signal to both, so it's very likely they would both have the issue if that were the case. As hedgeclippers said, make sure you can return your replacement on the off chance that doesn't fix the problem.

Old 09-06-14, 02:12 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Try F8 instead of escape. When you get to the menu, choose VGA mode. How does it look then?

Old 09-06-14, 08:47 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I replaced the screen on my HP nc8000. Cost was about $100-$120 as I recall. The biggest problem is in finding all the fasteners that hold the bezel in place. Also several small cable connectors.

Old 09-06-14, 10:28 PM
I have a video for you that explains how the screen is removed it is from a company that sells laptop screens. I don't endorse this company as I know nothing about them but the video itself I feel is very informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22N4q9YNNM . It is a bit different from the way I have usually replaced a screen as usually I have just taken the whole back off and just used a used screen that was suitable.

I have done a bit of shopping I can't guarantee my results so further checks will be necessary. Here is the first one I found on Amazon.com Amazon.com: HP PAVILION G7-1070US LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 17.3" WXGA++ LED DIODE (SUBSTITUTE REPLACEMENT LCD SCREEN ONLY. NOT A LAPTOP ): Computers & Accessories . This one comes from Screen Surgeons HP Pavilion G7 Laptop LCD Screen . This link comes from Laptopscreen.com Screen for HP Compaq PAVILION G7-1340SV. Replacement Laptop LCD Screens

You will notice that there are various prices and that there are also two types of finish glossy or matte from the last place I linked to and I can't really say if any of these places are any good but some looked kind of impressive in what they claim they will do. So price isn't everything and even a bit higher price would still be cheaper than if this went to a repair shop. All prices I could currently see were under $100.00. So now you have a bit of homework to do checking these places out and maybe even e-bay. I hope this helps please let us know when you have it fixed.

Old 09-07-14, 11:19 AM
Before U rip it apart, check the video driver and setup. That screen can be an animal to replace correctly. I have done several. I always reload the video driver first and then check the video setup. sometimes the external port will be okay and the screen not due to used fiddiling with the laptop. Please make certain the video cable is COMPLETELY seated.

Old 09-16-14, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
OK It was the screen as I thought it was. I posted here to get a confirmation so I did not have to replace another part
I replaced the screen and it looks 100% better
Thanks all
The job was actually very easy the video cable being the hardest part as I am not good with small connectors.

PS Hedgeclippers I also saw that video

Old 09-16-14, 06:26 PM
I thought it was the screen too and not a driver from what you had told me previously about using the external monitor. If it had been a driver then the external monitor would have looked bad too. I am glad the video was helpful, like I said I have never replaced a screen that way but those connectors are the same on both ends and you are right those cables are hard to deal with.