Bsod

Old 09-07-14, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bsod

Dell XPS 420

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610

After using for a few hours it shuts down, twice yesterday and once the day before. I had a note somewhere saying my NVIDIA driver had stopped working.

Tried a newer driver from NVIDIA, same stuff different day.

Sound like I need a new video card?

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎9/‎5/‎2014 10:22 AM

Status
Report sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8003238010
BCP2: FFFFF8800FA2DE2C
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Bucket ID: X64_0x116_TdrBCR:4:C000009A_Tdr:2_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information: 59b52b37-8150-4755-b46c-067c345950aa

No idea what all that means. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-14, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Did you remove the old drivers before installing the new ones?

What were you doing when it crashed? Anything video heavy?

Old 09-07-14, 07:48 AM
Quite sure before the new driver was installed from the NVIDIA site, it said first it was removing the first driver.

Nothing video heavy, just reading here if I remember correctly.

Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks

Old 09-07-14, 02:42 PM
Not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way Baldwin but when was the last time you cleaned dust out of your computer? If you can't remember when, and I can't either as I haven't cleaned my computer in awhile, then it is too long. Heat build up could be causing your problem and I myself have noticed a few video problems and should clean my own computer as it has been a bit too long. So if you are not sure then clean it and observe it for awhile and the problem just might go away by itself. Otherwise if it is already clean then it probably is a video card gone bad.

You need a slim form factor card for Dells and can usually find them on Newegg. I looked at Newegg to help you out a bit and none of the cards are cheap but will be usually from good manufacturers here is a link to their list sorted by cheapest first Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Video Cards & Video Devices, Desktop Graphics Cards, Low Profile, Yes

Old 09-07-14, 05:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Usually Blue Screens are due to faulty hardware. The key to your problem is Locale ID 1033. For example, one user found a faulty memory stick. However, look at the event viewer. In the run box, type eventvwr.msc & press enter. Look for red error messages in each of the categories. Try to find a corresponding Event ID #. Post it here or search for it on eventid.net

Old 09-07-14, 10:22 PM
Thought I had it, changed out the HDMI cable to my monitor, no joy. Damn thing ran all day and then puked.

Old 09-07-14, 10:29 PM
All the critical messages were the same. This morning it ran for 2 hours then crashed. Changed the HDMI cable and it was fine for hours (fantasy football) then crashed later in the evening.

I don't know, tuckered out right now.

Thanks for looking.

Old 09-07-14, 10:40 PM
Not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way Baldwin but when was the last time you cleaned dust out of your computer?
I know what you mean, no problem. I thought the same thing so I checked the temps on the video card, 114, and the hard drive, 98. I think that is within specs.

Thanks

Old 09-07-14, 11:33 PM
Baldwin I agree the temperature looks good so I don't see this as a dust issue. I did some checking before hitting the hay myself and while I didn't find any specific information directly related to your error codes I did find further suggestions. One person had problems with AVG as an anti-virus and removing it seemed to solve his problem. No surprise there as I too once had problems with it and had to remove it on my desktop. The problem could have been solved by now but I suggest removing it if you have it on your computer.

Pulpo makes a good valid point too about checking memory as I had read someone else had a memory related problem that was causing some problems with video. For memory checks I suggest you use MemTest86 it is completely free to use. Here is a link MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool I have used it in the past and it is very accurate. Only from past experience I remember that you have to use the program at computer start up and I believe that is still the case. They have complete instructions on their website. Check your memory and see if there are any errors then let us know.

Old 09-08-14, 08:24 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Event ID: 41 Source: Kernel-Power

That site contains various comments on Event ID 41. I haven't read all of them yet.

Old 09-13-14, 03:58 PM
What an absolute cluster this week has been.

Most recent 1033's were Jave related, found I had two updates....65 & 67. Removed 65 and all was fine for two days, no crashing. Well, crashed at least 5 times today and event viewer shows NO 1033 errors, which the pop up says they are. There used to be 91+ but not a one now.

I want to read the minidump but I must be an administrator I guess, "access denied."

Found a video on how to do that but a question: nothing in the video shows anything about the password and the other stuff circled.

If I hit 'enter' at this point I won't be somehow locked out of my computer will I? I don't think I have passwords for anything.

Thanks

Old 09-13-14, 07:10 PM
If Windows is asking for your administrator password then you need to use it or Windows will just deny you access to whatever you want to open. You can crack your password that was used and there are several programs that let you do that. I found a website that lists several programs one of which I have heard of called Ophcrack but have never used it and several others I never heard of before. Here is the link to the programs 7 Free Windows Password Recovery Tools.

Supposedly too you can crack windows administrator passwords by going into safe mode and changing your password that way. Some say it works and others say it doesn't I will however give you the link to that too How to break windows password ?. If you use the software scan the download first before installing it and then scan your computer again to check your hard drive.

Old 09-13-14, 07:42 PM
So sorry, I guess I didn't explain that too well. I did manage to create an administrator account and the minidump file I wanted to look at was just code gibberish.

I'll get back to you, I have to do tomorrows fantasy football.

Thanks though.