Admin Account Name Change

Old 09-10-14, 12:42 PM
Admin Account Name Change

Had to return my Dell laptop due to problems with the touchpad and now I got an Asus and so far all looks ok

I went thru the windows 8.1 setup and all is ok but I canít change the name of the administrator account which I crated using my MS account (email and password). Searching on the web they say to click on the account, select properties and then select change the account name. All these do not exist on my admin account; I can only change the password

Is there any way to re name this account?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-14, 11:53 PM
Hi Kolias sorry you had problems with your Dell laptop Asus though I hear is a good brand and should last a long time. I had some free time tonight so I looked up an answer for you since I don't have windows 8.1. What you need to do is set up a standard account and then convert that to an administrator account. I found a non-Microsoft website that explains the process and shows screen shots of the entire process here is the link How can I change the administrator, Windows 8 and 8.1 (user)? . It looks fairly easy to do and they have good safety tips about user accounts there too.

Old 09-11-14, 05:12 AM
Found the same site hedgeclippers, thanks but in the last step to make the account admin, that button on mine was not available.

After a lot of search I found that the admin account I created is not stored locally but rather somewhere in MS servers and the only way to change it is to log into “account.live.com” with your MS account name/pass and do the change there.

But even there I could not change my account name because my name there was my real name but in my laptop I had Administrator.

So I created another Admin account with my real name, logged in with the old Admin account and with elevated command prompt I typed “windows\system32\net user administrator /active:no” and that account is gone. This trick I learned from Vista on how to delete the annoying UAC feature.

I don’t like at all that MS stores my Account in their servers without my knowledge and I don’t have control of my own PC

Old 09-11-14, 08:31 AM
Temporarily Suspended
An account with any other name other than administrator is not the true administrator account. It's an account with administrator privileges. You can't change the name to administrator. It has nothing to do with your live.com account.

If you want to be able to login into the machine has the administrator, you have to reset it back to
net user administrator /active:yes That's the only true administrator account.

Old 09-11-14, 11:46 AM
ok, so I will put back the administrator account and I will keep the other "my name" account for daily use. Thanks Pulpo

Old 09-11-14, 12:43 PM
It is strange how your computer was originally set up Kolias. In any event you really should have two accounts set up according to what Microsoft says and other reading on non Microsoft websites. One is administrator and the other standard that you would use every day and that is basically a safety measure according to what I have read. As to having to log into a live account online that is news to me but I don't doubt it as things change but it has never been necessary before. If Microsoft keeps that up I can see the potential perhaps for future lawsuits like what has happened before with them.

Old 09-11-14, 02:08 PM
Lawsuits against MS? I agree! At least they should have given the option to sign to their servers or locally. Also how about all these garbage they load into MY laptop like Amazon, eBay, Netflix, McAfee etc and I have to spend the time to remove!

Old 09-12-14, 02:36 AM
McAfee you can probably blame on Asus as Microsoft really doesn't have much to do with McAfee and the rest that is Asus too. Some links are good though that you mentioned like Amazon.com and ebay.com as well as Netflix. I really enjoy Netflix many different movies and tv shows that are good. Netflix is fairly cheap too but I can also understand why you might not want any of those as sometimes you get something bad like with some of the anti-virus out there.

Old 09-13-14, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
I have my laptop running Vista Pro and setup with an admin and user. I very rarely ever use the admin side except to update some programs. One time a virus snuck in and was playing nasty. I shut the computer down and restarted as the admin, ran the antivirus and was back to normal. When I'm running as the user and want to access an admin function it prompts for the admin password.