New Laptop Crashed Twice

Old 09-13-14, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Laptop Crashed Twice

My new Asus K750JN laptop with windows 8.1x64 crashed twice since I bought it 5 days ago. The strange part is that during the days when I was working on it everything was normal; at night I shut it off and in the morning when I power ON it went thru the steps to recover the OS and produced a log file which indicated all the programs it removed (my installed programs & settings).

Before the 1st crash, I installed a lot of programs and after each installation I always rebooted to see if there is anything wrong with each program and that it was working good. I thought if a program is no good for the system it will reject it or you will know right away that the program is not working.

Before the 2nd crash I only installed Mozilla Firefox, Adobe Reader, a Seagate driver for my USB HDD, 8Gadgetpack (a desktop sidebar utility), ClassicShell (a start menu utility) and AISBackup. All these programs worked good after reboot and all was normal.

Perhaps the system did not like that I use Firefox instead of the IE? I also deleted the included McAfee and the Asus Web Store because of the annoying pop-ups, and did some adjustments on the screen fonts (from small to medium) and added a wallpaper on my desktop (picture of my dog)

I just wonder if anyone has a hint as to what is going on

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-14, 02:52 AM
I am sorry to hear about your problems with crashes on your new laptop. To really find out what is going on though you have too run some tests on your laptop. Dell I know has a diagnostic tool for their laptops and I would be very surprised if Asus didn't have one as well. I would also talk to Asus technical support and let them know about your issue.

If you can't find an Asus application then there are some programs I found out about that you can download here is the link to a review website http://dottech.org/95501/windows-4-h...rn-in-testing/ . I haven't tried these programs so I can't give you an opinion of them.

I would call Asus first though to let them know about your issue before installing any third party testing software as the reviewer said these programs can put a great deal of stress on your computer. As to the programs you installed Windows 8.1 can handle Firefox and about any other program you can throw at it. Your computer systems hardware should be up to the task too. I looked for reviews and found very little reviews for your laptop but one thing I did find was a video review that showed your laptop and it has very little ventilation holes and that isn't good.

It is very possible your laptop may be overheating and causing problems with the cpu or the motherboard or both. Not really possible to tell though until you test your laptop.

Old 09-14-14, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
What kind of crash was it? The blue screen? Most times you get a code that will guide you in the right direction...

May just be a driver issue...

Old 09-14-14, 05:43 AM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
Take out the memory sticks and re-seat them. This is very often the cause of a problem as you describe.

Old 09-14-14, 06:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If you bought it 5 days ago, take it back to the store. Exchange it for something else.

Old 09-14-14, 09:02 AM
I love my laptop and dont want to exchange yet unless I cant fix the problem. When it crashes I dont get any blue screen. So in the morning I power ON and goes thru the boot process (about 1 min or less) and normally after I will see the screen to login and I type my pass and thats it. When she crashes, I see the screen to log in, I type my pass and then she reboots again. Now I know she will crash. Then before she goes to the login screen for the second time a message comes and says something like the pc has a problem to reboot and shows me a new window to run the rescue program. In there I have a choice to refresh the PC (restores the factory image & keep my new files) or restore the factory image and delete my files. I choose to keep my files. Then it takes about 15 minutes and then I get my login screen.

I have also done about 64 MS updates and now I'm thinking perhaps the updates create a conflict. But again I wonder after the updates I have to restart and the pc works fine ALL day and only in the morning when I power on I see the problem. That I dont understand

Old 09-14-14, 01:23 PM
If you really like your laptop then I suggest you send it to Asus for repair if you can't find out what is wrong with it. Pulpo mentioned something I failed to mention and that is memory as you could have a memory problem with your laptop. However I wouldn't open up the laptop to check the memory as doing so will void the warranty. Changing the battery on the laptop can void the warranty too as those two items are completely covered by the bottom cover and you have to remove screws. There is however a solution to that and requires very little work.

I would download memtest86 and use the free version. I have used Memtest86 before and I was very pleased with it as it told me if I had bad memory. It works before Windows 8.1 starts and I believe can now be used with a blank USB flash drive as this program is very particular or you can put it on CD-R or DVD-R and run it from there. Here is the link MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool . If you are having memory issues this early then there are definitely issues that are not very good especially with ventilation which is real important. If you return it look for a laptop with more vents.

Old 09-14-14, 02:01 PM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
It was me that mentioned to re-seat the memory modules. And changing out, or replacing memory modules will not void warranty. That is a user upgradable item.

Old 09-14-14, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
If you just bought it, I wouldn't buy any new hardware for it. :NO NO NO: Why should you? It does sound like faulty hardware (probably memory or video card). I would just exchange it for another one, it can be the same. Happens sometimes that a piece of hardware is defective.
But paying more money to replace something already when it's brand new, would be ridiculous.
I might be wrong, but most likely, even if you send it to them for repair, they just send out a new one. Easier for them nowadays.

Old 09-14-14, 03:12 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know how you fell in love with a 5 day old laptop. You can't be that emotional. Also, here's something I learned from an old time HAM Radio operator & have followed it since. When you buy any electronics, leave it on for a week straight. That way, if it's going to go bad, it will happen before the warranty has expired. I rarely shut the power to any thing.

Old 09-14-14, 07:26 PM
Perhaps you did not pay attention what I said. The laptop works the best all day with no problems whatever. If I had hardware problem I should have seen it during the day so to my opinion its not hardware problem. Prior to this laptop I bought 2 Dell Inspiron and I returned both because of touchpad / mouse problem, that was hardware despite the new driver I was told to install.

Why I love this laptop? It feels solid, aluminum case, fast and dedicated graphics. No reason to return it yet if its only a config problem

I got the habit of power down my pc's for security reasons. They all are powered thru a power bar and at night I just switch the power bar off. Mainly is for fire protection since I hear some battery packs are prone to fires / overheating.

Old 09-14-14, 10:59 PM
Norm 201 the reason I said don't open the laptop is because manufacturers usually seal the laptop. By sealing I don't mean gluing it shut but they usually do one of two things they either put tape in one area that says opening voids the warranty or they use a special paint they apply to the screws and they can tell if it has been disturbed.

Becky(Shadeladie) I agree I still think this is a hardware issue but it could also be software related. I say software because not long ago I bought a used Dell Inspiron online at a police auction website. I was lucky with that purchase as the hard drive was still in it but it had no software. I had a tech issue of Windows 7 Home that I downloaded via PCWorld website so no extra expense was made. I did have an issue with a video driver though and had to download a fresh copy a couple of times and no more crashes for a while. I did have one other crash and believe that was due to heat build up.

Newer laptops though including Dell which I really like very well don't seem to have as much ventilation as they used to. I just bought a Samsung laptop, at the same auction website, that has many more ventilation holes and it has a numeric keypad which the Dell is lacking. Not to mention easier access to the hdd if necessary and the memory modules to. So I think I will like that better than the Dell but I am not endorsing it though. One thing I didn't like is a kind of flimsy area by the screen as it was a bit loose when I received it but I was able to snap it back in place.

I though am not getting rid of my Dell though I like it and want to keep it but I will use it as a backup to my newer used laptop. I don't buy new as I can get a better deal used and still have a great computer and since I know a bit about some repairs I usually do those myself or will sell the old laptop for parts when it's useful life is at an end. I don't blame you either Kolias for turning off the power supply at night they have been known to catch on fire. Dell's have as have other manufacturers who have had to recall their power supplies.

The best thing is to keep on top of the issue with the power supply and any other problems too with the laptop. Overheating laptops have also caused fires to the laptop itself and not the power supply. A few years ago I saw video of someone who I think was at a shopping mall with their laptop on battery power and the laptop caught on fire.

Not something that happens everyday but it can happen and the person wasn't injured I am glad to report and neither was anyone else. Just something I agree with Kolias about as far as fires are concerned. I usually have mine on late and haven't had any problems but you never know. I also never leave it unattended very long and prefer to just turn it off. I do however keep the power supply on and I don't turn that off.

Old 09-15-14, 07:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Kolias, you don't have to exchange it for a different model. Just get a replacement, of the same model.

Old 09-15-14, 09:17 AM
Just went to Staples and I have 14 days to return the laptop. So I still have another 7 days to go. I agree with you Pulpo but who knows what I will get again, perhaps worst?

But to help with my troubleshooting I have another question. Does windows 8.1 goes thru the same cycle of startup when you press the Restart Button or when you power OFF and then power ON?

Old 09-15-14, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
I understood what you said. The updates would not cause conflicts. There shouldn't be a config problem unless you installed something to mess something up, but if that were the case, then doing a factory restore would have fixed that.
Regardless of what the issue is, and it is most likely a hardware issue, since it's so new, I wouldn't think twice about exchanging it. It's not going to get better, only worse.

who knows what I will get again, perhaps worst?
If you change it for the same thing, chances are, that one will be fine. If it isn't, then you change it for a different one. I mean if that particular model is having problems, why would you want it anyway?

Well, it's up to you. I don't think anyone here can help you, since there's obviously something wrong with it.

Old 09-15-14, 02:02 PM
I understand what your saying Shadeladie but don’t you think the hardware problem would have shown up during the day like today when I’m working on the laptop? Anyway I still have a few more days to return it and so far she works flawless. I installed Office 2010 and Autocad with no problem, all works fine and I have removed all utilities. I have done many reboots and power OFF’s on purpose and she always return back to normal pretty fast.

Tonight I will power OFF and tomorrow when I power ON if she crashes again then its time to take her back

Old 09-15-14, 02:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
When you click restart, the power to the PC is not being shut interrupted completely & some things may remain in memory. When the PC is totally shut & started from the off position, the memory is cleared. Either way the BIOS has to go through it's cycle first. Then it gives the operation of the machine to the operating system.

Old 09-15-14, 04:56 PM
As far as I know Windows Start up is the same as it always has been in Windows 8.1. It is what happens after start up that I personally don't care for but then I am set in my ways. A question for you Kolias you said in your reply to Shadieladie that you don't see any problems during the day and only at night? If it is only at night then I suspect overheating as the laptop has then been on for many hours. It could test fine at start up if you ran diagnostics as it has not been on all night and then all day. At night though it has been on for many hours and then it overheats and crashes.

You could invest in a laptop external cooler which are not too expensive and see if that helps or if it was me I would go for a different brand and also buy the laptop cooler at the same time paying particular attention to the bottom of the laptop and the ventilation holes.

Old 09-15-14, 08:20 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Is your laptop on a table cloth, bed, couch or even your lap?

Old 09-16-14, 06:19 AM
The laptop sits on top of my desk with nothing under it and during the day with all the work I do its never even warm under it when I feel it with my hands (the aluminum case helps a lot to keep it cool). So I work on it all day and at night when I finish my work I power OFF and disconnect the power from the laptop, in the morning when I press the power button ON that is when it crashed. But that was before, yesterday and today she works beautiful and I have installed many software, many restarts and many power offs. She is a keeper

Old 09-16-14, 12:53 PM
I am glad it is working for you but still think you should consider a laptop cooling pad just to be on the side. Amazon.com has one from Cooler Master for $16.97 U.S. Dollars but probably for not much more in Canadian dollars. Anyway here is a link to not only that cooling pad but others from Amazon.com Amazon.com: laptop cooling pad - Cooling Pads / Laptop & Netbook Computer Accessories: Electronics . Not an absolute must have item but I know I am seriously thinking about getting one for my Dell laptop.