Local Network Folders: Copy vs Cut

Old 09-16-14, 06:46 AM
Local Network Folders: Copy vs Cut

When I move folders from one laptop to another thru my local network, if I choose Cut and then paste I get the message ďAccess denied you need Administrator privilegesĒ and when I choose copy and then paste it copies the folder with no problem.

Iím logged in both laptops as administrator so I just wondering why I can copy / paste a folder but I canít cut and paste the folder

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-14, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
While I don't know the answer, if you're just wanting to remove it from one, just copy it, then delete it. Or is this just a curiosity question?

Old 09-16-14, 08:09 AM
Yes I'm just curious and obviously want to learn why copy/paste works (and then I delete the folder) and cut/paste needs admin logging (and I'm logged as admin)

Old 09-16-14, 08:41 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Does it happen in both directions? Are you using the true administrator account or your account that has admin privileges?

Old 09-16-14, 12:02 PM
I did not try in both directions, just copy some folders from my old laptop to the new one

Yes I'm the true admin on my new laptop

Old 09-16-14, 12:18 PM
its the delete

When you cut/paste, you are trying to delete the original copy. You clearly only have "read" access to that folder (not change/update or delete). That is why you can copy and then paste but not cut. If you try it with Administrator privileges, you usually can delete.

Old 09-16-14, 01:20 PM
Just from Windows 7 perspective you have something there that says Sharing and is different from Windows XP Sharing in that you had to put in your screen password that you made as Administrator. Windows 7 has a Share password and you use that to get access between two Windows 7 computers. Probably Microsoft didn't change that and with that special Share password you can do just about anything with your files. You need to log in through your network and not through a file area even if you see your laptop there.

Old 09-16-14, 01:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's the old laptop that counts if that's where you got the error.

Edit: pjaffe, if he only had read access to the folder, why can he still delete it after he copied it to the other computer?

Last edited by Pulpo; 09-16-14 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 02:31 PM
No I got the error on the new laptop. Purposely I shared the C: drives on both laptops to be easier and I can see folders from one to another and as Pulpo said why after I was able to delete the folders?

From the old laptop I copied the folders to the Docs folder and on the new laptop I went to that Docs folder and tried the cut/paste to the C: on the new. Did not work but it did with copy/paste and then I went to the Docs folder and deleted that folder. Strange