Cloud Admin Account

Old 09-17-14, 08:32 AM
Cloud Admin Account

Reading / learning more about win 8.1 I just found that when I log with my admin account I created with my MS account Iím always connected to the cloud. Well I hate that!!!

So I created another local admin account and now Iím setting it up as I want it but how can I find out if this is also connected to the cloud? Is there a setting which will tell you that?

The options given when I created this local account was with a MS account or Local and I choose Local but I want to make sure

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-14, 10:08 AM
Temporarily Suspended
All current connections normally show in the netstat -an output. However, sneaky people like MS may have decided not to let that connection show, in the output. Open a command prompt & type
netstat -an & press enter. Make sure that you follow my spacing. There must be a space between the last t in netstat & the dash -an
You can pipe it to more if the output is too long
netstat -an | more

The local address column represents the local IP address & random ports on your machine.
The foreign address column represents the remote IP addresses & the assigned ports, on the server to which your machine is connected. An address in the foreign address column with a port over 1024 is suspicious to me.

It takes awhile to learn how to read them. Post the output if you don't understand it.

Old 09-18-14, 11:30 AM
I can't add anything to what Pulpo said and actually learned something myself I didn't know but will give you a tip to make this easier for you Kolias. I would just copy and paste what Pulpo has only make sure you add |More as the list might be a bit long, it was with me and that paused the list. To see more of the list just click Enter.

Old 09-18-14, 02:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you hit enter after the pause, it only shows the next line. Use the space bar to see the next page.

Old 09-19-14, 08:25 AM
Looks a pretty good tip but when I type netstat an I get only a list of the available options for this command like -a, -b, -e, etc. I dont see anything else

I did this with an admin command propmpt

Old 09-19-14, 08:28 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Where is the dash???? netstat -an When it comes to running commands, you have to be exact. Read my post again.

Old 09-19-14, 09:12 AM
Sorry about that Pulpo, here are the 2 shots I took, they look a lot and dont know what they mean

Attached Images    
Old 09-19-14, 02:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I only see connections to web sites. None of them belong to MS.

Old 09-19-14, 02:35 PM
I dont know if its normal or not but I dont want to have any web site connecting to me if I dont invite them. Is it a good idea to remove them and if yes how do I know which one is a web site and how to remove?
Thanks Pulpo, very interesting

Old 09-19-14, 05:10 PM
Thinking of it these web sites must be from the Apps Store, I mean must be tied to all the tiles I have in my start screen and I have no use for any (Like Netflix, Skype, Zinio, etc). Although I know I can delete the tiles I want to uninstall all of them but cant find them in my HDD. Any idea where they are located?

Old 09-19-14, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Looks like a router address to me.

Old 09-19-14, 07:43 PM
But why so many? all for one router?

Old 09-20-14, 07:15 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Some of them are web sites that attach themselves to other web sites. You can tell that it's a web site when the IP address in the Foreign Address Column has a port # 80 after it. For example, you had one
23.58.189.216:80 The :80 shows that it's connected to the standard web site port.

If you want to kill that connection, rerun the netstat command with -ano switches. The o will give you the process ID #. The next command would be taskkill /pid 234 or whatever the # is. If it doesn't kill it, try taskkill -f /pid 234 As always, if you don't follow the spacing that I have in the command, it may not work.

Edit: If you want to learn networking & internetworking, search the following topics, on Google:
client server relationships
internal or non routable IP addresses
external or routable IP addresses
source ports
destination ports
source IP addresses
destination IP addresses

That should get you started.

Old 09-20-14, 11:40 AM
Thanks so much Pulpo, very good info