Thunderbird Email

Old 09-22-14, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thunderbird Email

My old FoxMail email program I used for so many years does not work with windows 8.1 and so I decided to get Thunderbird

But looking at the settings / server settings, under server type it has IMAP mail server and under server name it has imap-mail.outlook.com

Even when I choose a pop3 account instead IMAP, the server name is still imap-mail.outlook.com

I am with Bell and I don't like to have anything to do with outlook

I don't know very much about Thunderbird, is there any way to get the settings I have with Bell, like I had before with Foxmail?

If not, is there any other email program to allow me to use Bell?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-14, 01:21 PM
Temporarily Suspended
imap-mail.outlook.com is just the name of the server. It doesn't mean that you have to use Outlook.

Old 09-22-14, 02:26 PM
I understand I dont have to use Outlook but why I dont input Bell's server SMTP and POP3? How they get my emails if I dont provide these details? I just provided my email address

Old 09-22-14, 04:49 PM
I understand I dont have to use Outlook but why I dont input Bell's server SMTP and POP3? How they get my emails if I dont provide these details? I just provided my email address
I can answer that for you Kolias Thunderbird unlike other e-mail programs queries the server of whoever you have for your e-mail account. After it does its query then it fills in the blanks for you automatically. All e-mail programs communicate with e-mail servers but not many fill in your information like Thunderbird.

Old 09-22-14, 05:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Kolias: Don't get confused between an email client & a web based email account. Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, etc.... all need to know what servers to contact for outgoing & incoming emails. I have a Verizon email account. If I use their web page, they already know their servers. If I use an email client, I have to tell it the names of the servers.

Old 09-22-14, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I can answer that for you Kolias Thunderbird unlike other e-mail programs queries the server of whoever you have for your e-mail account. After it does its query then it fills in the blanks for you automatically. All e-mail programs communicate with e-mail servers but not many fill in your information like Thunderbird.
Yes its all done automatically pretty much. Although you can input manually too...

I used outlook express forever and then when I went to win 8, I was forced to use Thunderbird... The closes I found to outlook...

Old 09-22-14, 05:21 PM
Sorry guys I have been in the dark on this subject because I was happy with Foxmail. So I know now the difference between Thunderbird and Foxmail but what is the advandage / disadvantage between the two?

By the way I just found that there is a new Foxmail v7.1 Build 3.052 for Win8.1 but all sites offering the download are full of other "freebies" and I uninstall them. But I found one that the download is in Chinese and the tell you where to click etc to convert it to English. I did that and now I'm in the process to configure it. Looks pretty good

Old 09-22-14, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Foxmail is web based. The issue with web based is you get an e mail as..g mail, yahoo, AOL, foxmail..etc

With thunderbird its a pop 3 and uses your Internet providers mail so you have a e mail of your choosing... Like example Johnsmith... at...optonline.net

Old 09-22-14, 06:30 PM
Sorry lawrosa but I'm kind of confused, with Foxmail my email is "[email protected]" and with Thunderbird is the same.

So where is the difference?

Old 09-22-14, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Im sorry foxmail is pop 3... OK..

read here on auto config for T bird

Mozilla Thunderbird POP3 Auto Configuration [Wiki] | NDCHost

Old 09-22-14, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Foxmail = China..

Thunderbird is run by the community....

Old 09-22-14, 07:44 PM
I like Thunderbird or Windows Live mail and like you Mike I had to switch to something different from Outlook Express which I used actually sporadically. Both Thunderbird and Windows Live mail work automatically to retrieve your information or like you said Mike it can be set manually too. In my case it was when I switched to Windows 7.

In a way I like Windows Live mail better not so much because of the program but because it provides a free bonus in how I load pictures onto my computer. I can select what pictures I want and what I don't. You can download it here and is part of Windows Essentials Windows Essentials: Other Programs - Microsoft Windows.

Old 09-22-14, 09:50 PM
That link lawrosa is pretty good and I will tried tomorrow, thanks