Bogus e-mails help

Old 09-26-14, 10:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bogus e-mails help

I got a e-mail from a family member stating my new H.P.computer is sending bogus e-mails.

I'm new to Windows 8.1 . Any advice on removing this e-mail?

I'm using windows XP on a HP pavilion.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
You need to do a scan of your machine using several of the malware tools out there. Malwarebytes is one, Spybot Search and Destroy is another.

Change your email client password after running the scans.

What is your email client/program?

Old 09-26-14, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
I'm confused - you say XP and 8.1. Which is it?

Also, I've had my email account hacked and emails sent from there as well as others I know have had this same problem. What is it that makes you think your problem is the computer?

Old 09-26-14, 11:06 AM
You need to contact your Internet Service Provider. (Actually they should already be aware of this).
If the e-mails are coming from your e-mail address, someone is sending out spam via your address. Normally, rather than you discovering this, you would get a message from your ISP stating your account has been disabled due to a security threat.
And as mentioned, XP and 8.1 are way apart. You may want to describe "bogus e-mail" and let others here that are versed in this advise you.

Old 09-26-14, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your input.

When I got this computer it was the 8.1 version installed. I was not comfortable with this version, and because of my limited computer knowledge, I went back to windows XP that I was more familiar
with.

I'm using McAfee antivirus software.

ISP ???

Old 09-26-14, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
ISP...Internet Service Provider. Answer the questions tho...are you using a Web based E-mail...or stand alone program?

McAffee is not popular with power users.

Old 09-26-14, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
OK, so you downgraded an 8.1 PC to XP?

Yes, as Vic said, we need to know what email program you are using.

I am one with whom McAffee is not popular, should that matter

Old 09-26-14, 12:43 PM
Sorry folks, but obviously you have a novice here,

I'm using YAHOO

I forgot to mention that this issue started after some one I know, sent me about 9 e-mails that were blank when I opened them....just throwing this info out to you all.

Ran a McAfee scan,and nothing came up. Next steps is to run Spybot/malware, and change log-in password

Old 09-26-14, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
How did you manage to downgrade? Your new hardware and motherboard recognises XP? There are no drivers that would work now or am I wrong? Just curious.

Old 09-26-14, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
I think your email account got hacked and this has nothing to do with your computer. You need to change your Yahoo email password right away and make it something more complex this time.

Old 09-26-14, 02:57 PM
You may be right. I'll get into yahoo and make changes

Old 09-26-14, 05:58 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you went back to XP & you are using Yahoo in Internet Explorer, that's the answer to your problem. If you didn't like 8.1, Windows 7 should have been your next choice.

Old 09-27-14, 07:11 AM
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Logged into computer this morning, and nothing strange
appeared. It ran as usual.
Will post back later on this days use.

Old 09-27-14, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
When people in your contact list receive spam emails generated from your email, you wouldn't notice or even know about it from going in your computer. It doesn't affect the way it runs.
You need to take care of it tho, so other people are not affected by it.

Old 09-27-14, 04:37 PM
I just ran my anti-virus program again, and nothing came up.

Should I change my login password?

Old 09-27-14, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
You still aren't understanding. You use an online email account. That's what had the problem, not your actual PC. Unless you choose to, none of your email is actually stored on your machine, it's all at some remote facility and by logging in, you can send, receive and view stored mail. If you have changed your email password and any security questions, then no fake emails should be going out anymore. If you don't change the security questions, then the fake can just say "I lost my password" and possibly get an email with the new one. Possible but improbable.

Think of it as if you lose the network TV picture on your TV. After doing troubleshooting you can't find anything wrong at your end. You call the cable company and they say they are having a transmission problem....it's kind of the same thing. Imagine watching a DVD at home. It's all in your home and system. Cable TV depends on what's going on at the other end.

If your AV is up to date and you have run some of the anti-spyware/malware as has been suggested, then it's not on your computer...it's out there at the servers. It should resolve itself. Are people still saying they are getting spam from you?

Old 09-27-14, 05:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for your patience and help.

I will do as many of you have suggested.......I will change my mail password, AND security questions.

Will post the results from doing the changes as suggested, and post back later

Old 09-27-14, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Results would mean..."Has anyone still been receiving bogus emails that are after the date of the fixes?".

Sorry, I just don't get your aversion to answering questions that have been asked in an effort to help you.

Old 09-27-14, 06:01 PM
I haven't sent out any e-mails for fear of possibly infecting others.

My next move is to change my e-mail password ,and security questions, as you previously
suggested. ( My post # 17 above)

Old 09-27-14, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I haven't sent out any e-mails for fear of possibly infecting others.
But the problem is not on your computer as others have explained so you couldn't infect others. Only an email program could do that and you don't have email on your computer.

Old 09-27-14, 07:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you going to change the password, from the same computer? Correct me if I'm wrong but you didn't have a problem until you went back to XP, who knows what service pack, if any & you are using IE8 unpatched, to read emails.

Secondly, the person who is using your account can attach a binary. You have no idea what was sent. I just saw it happen 2 weeks ago.

Old 10-01-14, 05:04 PM
Update:

I changed my e-mail passwords, and security passwords, Disk cleanup,virus scan and everything seems to be O.K. this past week.

Thanks all for your support, and PATIENCE

Old 10-01-14, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Changing the email password was the important step - the rest was a good idea but not related to the issue as this was not a problem on your computer in the first place.

Old 10-01-14, 07:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Mitch17, Why aren't you or anyone else here considering a "client side attack" as a possible cause the email breach? The script may have only run once, from the browser & no registry changes would have been made.

Old 10-02-14, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Because it is so far down the list of likely possibilities - there have been all kinds of hacks of Yahoo accounts over the last few years, mine included. When I looked back at the login records on mine, the attack had come from Romania.

Old 10-02-14, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
I think the recommendations to use AV and anti-mal/spy ware programs would cover that? According to all I've read anyway.

Old 10-02-14, 08:46 AM
A tip

Here's a simple tip a friend shared with me to alert you to your email account being compromised:
Create a new but bogus contact. Name it [email protected] or something like that so it's at the top of your contacts. Now if your email gets hacked the first email to be sent will be to this fake address--and it will bounce back to you as undeliverable. This is your tip-off that someone has hacked your account.

Old 10-02-14, 03:56 PM
Temporarily Suspended
On the contrary, a client side attack is at the top of the list, especially under the circumstances, outlined in this thread. The source of the attack means nothing. AV & anti malware or spyware don't mean much either.

The two easiest ways for client side attacks to take place are through the browser & through emails. Why? Because PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard) not to mention the vulnerabilities in XP & IE8.

Old 10-02-14, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Pulpo...you must have some sort of insight we don't. Everything I read said that AV and anti-whatever would find that. And changing PW's would prevent any further problems if it was a one time kinda thing, wouldn't it?

Old 10-02-14, 05:20 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Actually, I do have a little more insight on it. The terms virus, torjan, malware, spyware, etc.... have gotten confused. Let's just take a virus. A virus is an executable program that installs itself in the registry. An anti virus program looks for it based on the signature of the virus. Thousands of viruses are released into the wild daily. There is no way that the AV companies can know that signature, on the day of release. Many PCs get infected before the AV companies add that signature, to their .dat files & update your AV program. That's why I DON'T use an AV program. Instead, I lock my registry with MJ Registry Watcher.

Mark Jacobs' Free 32-bit Windows Software

A trojan also installs into the registry but the payload is different. The others are usually just scripts but that's another story.

Old 10-02-14, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, beyond my level...but I'll take your word and look into the locking thing.

Old 10-02-14, 05:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
There is one thing that I just noticed about that program. It says 32 bit software. If your machine is 64 bit, it may not run. Let me know if yours is 64 bit & I'll look for something else.

Old 10-03-14, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
I only have 64 bit OSs but if it's a 32 bit program it should still run.

Old 10-03-14, 06:42 AM
Temporarily Suspended
That sounds good. If you try it, let me know how it goes.