looking to access old hard drive?? which Cable/power source needed?

Old 09-29-14, 05:11 AM
looking to access old hard drive?? which Cable/power source needed?

I am looking to recover info from some old tower computers hard drives. I would like to get a usb to sata (22pin). is this all I need? Or do I also need a power source? If so whats the best method?
Will the usb work if its a 3.0 ?? or should I stick with a 2.0?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-14, 05:14 AM
Drives

What connectors are on the drives for data and power?

Old 09-29-14, 05:58 AM
Easiest way would be to get an External Hard Drive enclosure. I bought one for under $10.00.

They come with built in power supply and accept USB and SATA drives.

Mine's a few years old and doesn't have USB 3.0, maybe the new ones do. 3.0 would transfer data a lot faster.

Old 09-29-14, 06:33 AM
in response to wire puller
there are a few old drives I want to access, but they all seem to have the standard sata ribbon strips? and std pw supply connection for towers
I will open them all up soon.

Old 09-29-14, 11:08 AM
I would use this cable instead of a hard drive enclosure SABRENT USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE . It costs a bit more but you can use it for SATA drives or IDE drives. It is USB 3.0 but it is backwards compatible with other USB ports. This is from Amazon.com but it probably is available at Tigerdirect or Newegg, I just saved this in my shopping list a while back so I don't have any prices from other places.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-29-14 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Replace "Robot Check" with product name.
Old 09-29-14, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
The kind Hedgeclipper posted is what I use if I want to just rip off the info from a drive. Its quick and easy to connect. I got mine for about half of the one he posted so look around.

Old 09-29-14, 05:20 PM
I agree Amazon.com as I mentioned is not always the cheapest. I use them fairly often though as I get Amazon gift certificates fairly often and they ship fairly fast too. I suggest a local electronics place not those franchised places with the initials RS but a smaller company as they might have what you need or even e-bay. That definitely though is the best I have seen for that type of work. Only if you want something permanent do you want to buy an enclosure.

Old 10-04-14, 09:26 PM
Ok. I am sold!! Exactly what I was looking for, now The difference between 3.0 and 2.0 is about $6-7. not a big deal but what's the real improvement in speed?? is it really noticeable?
I am not going to be using these cables all that much or really going to need speed.
Thanks again for our responses!!

Old 10-04-14, 10:38 PM
I am glad you found what you need. You must have found the older model which is USB 2.0 and you are right you really will not notice much if any significant difference in speed. I also agree for what you are going to use that for speed isn't an issue. Not sure if the older model had a power supply or not now after the newer model came out I lost track of the older one. Probably so though since it needs to power all kinds of drives. Have a nice weekend biketrax!