Buzzing from computer. Processor overworked?

Old 09-29-14, 09:33 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buzzing from computer. Processor overworked?

I built my own computer back in February, and it still works well, despite the fact it was my first time!

There are times, however, when a high-pitched buzzing comes from inside the computer. Usually it comes when I am playing Grant Theft Auto 4 (yes, I'm behind the times), and is intermittent, maybe 2-3 seconds each time.

Today, however, I was using software to convert 4 .avi files to DVD format, and my computer started buzzing again, and was pretty much constant during the whole conversion. As soon as the conversion was done, the buzzing went away.

In my old computer, my video card would make a high-pitched alarm if it started to overheat, which prompted me to vacuum out the fans. Could this be some sort of similar alarm coming from the processor? I've got a Gigabyte Ultra-Durable 4 motherboard (78LMT-USB3) with a AMD-FX 6300 processor.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-14, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is it a buzz, or the sound of a fan ramping up to high speed? My processor fan really screams when the CPU is loaded up.

Old 09-29-14, 10:55 AM
H
I have to agree the sound you are hearing most likely is the fan. I had a desktop that was built by someone else and some of those fans would squeal real loud. If the fans came with a kit they just might not be the best fans in the world. I would open up the desktop and read the names off of the fans and then look for reviews from places like Newegg or Tigerdirect and see what others there say about the fans. Fan quality varies and I haven't built any computers in a couple of years now so I can't give you any advice as to best brand.

Old 09-29-14, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 133 Votes on 117 Posts
I agree also, it is likely a fan. When I play games like Crysis 3, or Farcry, the GPU fan really kicks in. However when ripping files it is likely the CUP fan. Did you install the fan that came with your CPU? My last one on my P4 was quite noisy.

Old 09-30-14, 08:48 AM
C
Yes, I installed the fan that came with the CPU.

I didn't worry about it too much at first, thinking it was just the graphics card, but now that I'm creating DVDs, that really doesn't have much to do with the graphics card, but rather the processor.

The thing that made me think it was NOT a fan was that I never hear it "rev up" or wind down" like a fan. It's the same constant sound. Maybe I'll be brave enough to try to slow down the fan with my finger and see if it changes the sound.

Old 09-30-14, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
You can touch the fan in the center hub, you don't have to stick your finger in the vanes.

Old 09-30-14, 11:15 AM
H
If you are going to slow the fan down with your finger extreme care needs to be taken or you can cut your finger up real bad. I know as it happened to me once and that cut was fairly deep. I really would suggest you using a pencil and using the eraser side and then only touching it in the center. Wear safety glasses though those pieces can fly far.

Old 11-29-14, 08:58 AM
C
I haven't burned any DVDs again until now, so I haven't had the chance to have the noise remain consistent while I check our the inside of the desktop.

Using a flashlight and a pencil, I touched the center of both the CPU cooling fan, as well as the fan on the video card. I saw the blades of each fan come to a complete stop, but the buzzing never varied.

This once again raises the question of whether it could be the motherboard.

(As I was writing the above line, the sound suddenly stopped. I switched over to my DVD converter window, and sure enough, the conversion from AVI to DVD was done, and it was ready to burn.)

Old 11-29-14, 09:25 AM
I would say it's a fan also. I've had to change out many over the years. Bearings suddenly go bad and it only get's worse.
Hopefully it's not the hard drive.

Old 11-29-14, 09:28 AM
H
Received 69 Votes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Critical Mass
This once again raises the question of whether it could be the motherboard.
I'd try loading up the freeware diagnostic program "SpeedFan"

Gives plenty of detailed stats about fans, processor speeds,
IIRC it can do rudamentary logging.
but you can probably just run it in one window to see what is going on.

Have you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and looked at what process is using the most memory, or see where you are with % use on processors?

Hal

Old 11-29-14, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
There's also a fan in the power supply in desktops. I would seriously suspect either a fan or a component in the P/S. Solid state electronics just don't make noise...but things like transformers and motors can.

Take a cardboard tube or better yet a length of rubber hose....seal that to your ear using silicone caulk....(lol j/k on the last) but anyway, hold that to your ear canal and move the other end around in the PC. You'll find the source real quick.

Hal...doesn't Speedfan only monitor the CPU and case fans? And only if the MB supports it?

Old 11-29-14, 10:04 AM
C
Hal, as I said, I usually hear it when I am converting AVI files to a DVD, so therefore it's a no-brainer which process is using the most memory/power.

Gunguy, I'll have to try that to see if it's the PS fan. As I said, I completely stopped both the CPU fan and the video card fan, and the noise persisted, so in my opinion, I ruled those two things out.

I just thought it was some kind of warning signal coming from the motherboard.

Old 11-29-14, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
MBs used to beep maybe still do...but never a buzz that I remember?

Old 11-29-14, 12:31 PM
H
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
doesn't Speedfan only monitor the CPU and case fans? And only if the MB supports it?
CPU, case fans and HDD as I recall.

Does allow you to take control of the fans through software, which is
a bit more refined than jamming a pencil into the fan.

Hal

Old 11-29-14, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I was going to try and use it, but my old machine didn't support it for everything, so never explored it fully.

I use Sandra for just checking parameters, but even that won't tell me what more modern machines can report.

Old 11-30-14, 08:23 PM
C
Folks,

So I downloaded "Speedfan", and while I don't understand 95% of it, I didn't like what I saw.

While converting another DVD, I watched some of the temperatures rise. Before I started, all temps were blue "down" arrows. During the process, I saw three of them become "flames".

"Temp 2" went from 32C to as high as 67C (when noise started, it was at 62C)
"Temp 3" went from 30C to as high as 73C (when noise started, it was at 70C)
"Core" went from 14C to as high as 57C (when noise started, it was at 53C)
CPU Usage was in the upper 90's, and even hit 100% several times

While I did eventually figure out how to convert the temps from C to F, I don't know what parts of the computer these are the temperatures of, or how to find out.

My conclusion is that this must absolutely be some sort of warning signal. I guess the next step is to figure out which fan monitors which part of the box so that I can figure out what the problem areas are, and also figure out how to set up "ConvertXtoDVD" to be less-intensive on my system so that I don't burn something out.

Any ideas on how I can proceed, or does anybody want to tell me I'm wrong?

Old 12-02-14, 07:50 AM
H
Quick check shows -

A) Speedfan temps are known to be estimates, some high temps are ghosts from disconnected
sensors - don't panic just yet
Temp2 seems to be a common connection for the video processor chip.

Seems like Next diagnostic to consider is Everest Home or Everest Ultime
- a bit more complex, but more accurate.

Hal

Old 12-02-14, 08:02 AM
C
A bit more complex? I barely understood Speedfan!

And if Temp 2 is the graphics chip, why is there a separate " GPU" reading?

Old 12-02-14, 08:42 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not a gamer but a quick search yielded some interesting facts. One user said that he lowered the FPS; that's the frame rate per second & that solved his problem. Apparently, that setting can be set though the game itself. Otherwise each graphics card has it's own setting which may require other software.

Capacitor squeal & coil whine are other possibilities. Look at the motherboard for leaks, on one of the components. Just leave it, until it fails. Do other searches for more info.

Old 12-02-14, 03:29 PM
Z
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Iím no gamer also, but I think there is a utility called EasyTune from Gigabyte for Gigabyte motherboards. I think it does smart fan control and some other things. I had a utility (Intel Desktop Utilities) for my motherboard that sounds similar to EasyTune and it provided temperature monitoring and fan control. I liked it but lost it when I went to Windows 7 since it was not supported for Win7 (too bad).

Anyway I was thinking, with that utility and the technical document for your motherboard, if you get hold of those two things, maybe that might clarify something. But Iím not sure.