noise in telephone line

Old 03-18-01, 01:50 PM
sklee
Visiting Guest
We have 2 phone lines - 1 for business phone/fax and the other is family line/computer. The line used for family phone and the computer has so much noise we can barely carry on a conversation and our dial-up connection has slowed down to almost nothing (right now I'm connected at 9000 bps). This seems to happen when it rains and will clear up gradually as the ground dries. We replaced all the telephone wiring used on this line and there was no improvement. When I connect a phone to the jack at the junction box, the line is clear. The other phone line has no problem. Any idea where the problem might be?

Sandra

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-01, 04:23 PM
Are you checking the same line when you connect a phone to the jack at the junction box ?

I first thing I thought of was a problem with the phone companies buried line outside, but if that is the case then even the jack at the junction box should have the problem, unless you are checking the wrong line. On the line that is clear (business/fax) have someone on the line when you check that junction jack to be certain that we are dealing with the same line.

You said "We replaced all the telephone wiring used on this line and there was no improvement."

You mean a new wire run to every jack location in the house, nothing of the old is connected to this line ?

Old 03-18-01, 07:35 PM
sklee
Visiting Guest
I thought I might be checking the wrong line at the junction box so I made a call to the other line (the business line). The line was the correct one and there was no noise. As far as the new line - yes, we ran a new wire to every jack on that line and there was no improvement.

I can't figure out what the problem could be but I don't want to pay the phone company to come out and tell me it's my problem!

Sandra

Old 03-18-01, 09:05 PM
http://www.bell.ca/en/care/guide/wir...RS_USER_GUIDES

this is my phone companies help guide.
--------------------
Sandra as I said my first thought was a problem with the phone companies buried wire, but if it is clean at the junction jack, the we must look inside for possible causes. When it rains there is likely a humidity chance on the inside as well, rather that is a problem here I am not sure...

The junction jack that you are refering to, is the wire that connects this line with the rest of the house connected to it when this junction jack is checked, or is the house run disconnected at the time it is checked here, then reconnected ?

next think unplug all phones on this line , and I mean all, including the computer. Try 2 phones that you beleive to be working perfectly, check them on the business line to confirm the phones are ok. Now with absolutely everything disconnected. Try one phone at a time on 2 or 3 jacks in the house on the problem line.

By junction box are you refering to jack inside the house just after the wire comes in from outside ?

If there 2 junctions jacks as such , one for each line ?

Report your findings.

Old 03-19-01, 09:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Also check that the line in question is not running

along any high voltage lines, flouresant lights or motors (like the bathroom fan).

Old 03-22-01, 07:14 PM
sklee
Visiting Guest
I looked at your phone co's help guide and will have to check for those things tomorrow.

To answer your questions:
-Perhaps I have been using incorrect terminology. When I check the line, I go outside to a box on the side of the house. I think it is call a network interface (or something). To check the line, I unplug the jack inside the box for that line and plug in a phone that I know works. At this point, the line sounds clear.
-I unplugged everything from this line and tried a phone that I know works on each jack. The noise ( a loud hum) is still there.
-By "junction box", I meant the box that is actually outside the house where the lines for both phone lines connect.

The line is run along the outside of the house and then through the wall to the actual phone jack. It isn't near any lights, wires, etc.

Thanks again for any ideas.

Old 03-22-01, 09:31 PM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
Sandra,

when you go outside, unplug a line, and plug in a phone, do you know if you are listening to the lines in the house, or the lines outside the house? (I have seen boxes where you could hear either, depending on what you unplug.

If you know which one, you know if the problem is inside or outside.

A 60 cycle (hertz) hum is very obvious. Once you hear it, you will remember the sound. If it is from your house, it is probably a 60 cycle hum.

When you ran new wire did you run it along the same route as the old wire?

My guess is the buried line. They should not charge you to come out and test it. They should tell you if it is inside, and then you can choose to have them fix it, or fix it yourself. If it is their problem, they probably won't tell you. They'll probably tell you to try it again,

Good Luck

Marshall

Old 03-23-01, 08:45 AM
It is a different style outside conenctor than what I have, my outside telephone terminal block has 4 screws on it and the main incoming telephone line buried from from the street comes to that , and connections is screws onto the screw connectors, the inside wiring connects to these screws, for up to 2 lines.

It sounds like in her case that she has an actual telephone jack and the inside wiring comes to the outside and plugs into this jack, and unless plugged into this jack has no other connection to the inside.

Sandra would I be correct in assuming that there are 2 such jacks on the outside, one for each line ??

Marshall that was my very first thought is that it is the buried line, because that noise level is effected by rain, everything inside should be dry rain or shine. Perhaps a bad jack on the outside ? poor ground ?? It is just that she said that when checking the outside jack that the line is clean, but she also said she replace the entire inside line ?

Is it tightly wrapped to an electrical line, but is the other line taking teh sam route ?

Sandra you know most telephone companies will check up to their terminal block on the outside of your house for free, but do charge for any inside work.

Old 03-23-01, 12:01 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Sandra, If all else fails, do insist that your phone company run you a new line from the source or prove to you that it is not the problem. Most often if you will call them and be sure to be there you can get an answer from the service tech whatever the problem may be. I rewired my old home and thought I had done a great job. After a time a hum started and of course with all new wiring I assumed it was outside. The tech put a sensor on my line outside( meaning I didn't owe for it) and told me I had a ground fault somewhere inside and after careful inspection and some line changing I stumbled across the fault I was told about...Mike

[Edited by mikejmerritt on 03-23-01 at 03:07]

Old 03-24-01, 04:17 AM
sklee
Visiting Guest
Thanks to everyone for the help!

Marshall - When I connect outside, I am listening to the line inside the house. The new line is run along the same route as the old line.

dkerr - as for the box outside, both lines (personal and business) connect inside the one box - one on the left & one on the right. They are labeled. Wires from each line connect to terminals with screws. Each line has a jack that I can unplug and plug in a phone to check the inside line.
Are you asking if the problem line is wrapped to an electrical line? If so, it is not. Both lines take the same route for a short distance. The business line enters the house about 12-15 feet from the outside box. The problem line also enters here and then again at 2 other places alot further away. Each jack on this line is run seperately (in other words, it isn't run from the box to a jack, from that jack to another jack, etc.)

Mike - I guess I will check with the phone company. I have hesitated to do so because they say if they come out and it is an inside problem, they charge a service fee just to come out. At this point though it would be worth it just to find out where the problem is. It's so bad now you can't hear a conversation at all!

Thanks again to everyone. I'll let you know what they say.

Sandra

Old 03-24-01, 08:34 AM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
Sandra;

The odds are pretty good that the problem is outside the house. If you want to get a better idea, you can, since the outlets are all distributed from 1 junction point. Do the following:

Leave everything connected so you hear the inside and outside lines. e.g. do not unplug the connection in the interface box.

Select an outlet, plug in a good phone, and listen. (I would use the one closest to where they all come together.)

Disconnect all OTHER lines from the point where they all lines come together. (only the outlet you are listening from should be connected.) You will have 2 choices:

1. If the line in clear, re-connect the lines one-at-a-time until you find the noisy line. Since they all take the same route as the old lines, you may have one that is picking up noise from an appliance, and will have to route it a different direction. If so, there is no problem with tapping into another outlet.

2. If the line is noisy, choose another outlet to listen from, re-connect only the wire that goes to that outlet. If the line is clear, repeat number 1. If the line is noisey, call the phone company.

Good Luck
Marshall

Old 04-04-01, 09:58 AM
sklee
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all!!!

There was a problem in the wiring from the Network Interface Box to the closest jack. Once we disconnected this line, the noise was gone.

Thanks again.

Sandra