New Windows 10 Announced

Old 10-01-14, 12:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Windows 10 Announced

I came across this information about Windows 10 while looking through Facebook the link here will take you to a USA Today video. Microsoft unveils first look at Windows 10 .

It doesn't look too bad and brings back more keyboard and mouse functionality from what I could see. There is a test version available that I might try if I sign up for it and if I do it will be in a virtual machine. I would also like to see what PcWorld and other computer magazines have to say about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just more bells and whistles... Plus memory hogging processes.. Geez windows 8 prcesses already use some 15% of my memory to just run crap in the background..

So wow.. Ill get a start menu that I already have with classic shell
Ill be able to have 4 windows open instead of two using split screen
Two virtual desktops
And more crap pinned to the task bar..

They can keep it.. Although I may download it to my spare lap top to see what its really all about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NI5fjTfpQ#t=12

Old 10-01-14, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
So what happened to 9? They just going to skip that? I'm perfectly happy with 7 Home Premium.

Old 10-01-14, 07:44 AM
Microsoft wanted to skip 9 as they said they wanted to make a statement that this was really new. As for this having more bells and whistles I agree Mike it will but from what little bit I saw the start menu is more real than the classic shell that Microsoft has provided in 8.1. I don't know about taking up processing power maybe and maybe not. I had heard that Windows 8 was a processor hog and slowed some computers down. I also heard rumors about them wanting to make the new operating system they wanted to roll out backward compatible.

In other words if you had an XP computer you might be able to use the new operating system with some older computers. You would also be able to use the same operating system with much newer processors as it would have code for both. This however is just rumor and not fact that was talked about before this most recent announcement.

Old 10-01-14, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
from what little bit I saw the start menu is more real than the classic shell that Microsoft has provided in 8.1.

Classic shell is not from microsoft AFAIK.. The one they offered in 8.1 upgrade I turned off and use classic shell completely..

From what I saw it seems microsoft may have aquired classic shell for win 10 as it looks the same..

Although they integrated apps from the metro screen into the start menu so the two interwine together better...

I dont use apps or the metro screen on my desktop. If I wanted that I would buy a ipad or something... And probably not even an " I " anything. I would go android/ google play based tablet....

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Old 10-01-14, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Microsoft wanted to skip 9 as they said they wanted to make a statement that this was really new.
Oh that's funny...

"Step right up folks...this is the new widget 4! So much different and better over widget 2 that we skipped widget 3 completely."

("Even though this really IS Widget 3, but our marketing people said this would sound better, and we don't really care anyway, because we're going to stop supporting Widget 2 next year and Widget 4 will have so many bugs that you'll all be happy when we announce Widget 5, which we're going to actually call Gizmo, because it will be so much different and better than Widget 4.")

Old 10-01-14, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Well they've always skipped over. They went from DOS to 3.1 to 95 to 98 to ME to XP to Vista to 7 to 8! Looks like 7 to 8 was the only one in order at all (unless I missed one).
Nothing in any sort of order, as far as I can tell.

Old 10-01-14, 01:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
They went from 95 to 98 because those were the years that they were released. I actually saw a machine that when booted, the splash screen said Windows 97.

A tweet was quoted that windows 7 8 9. Groan.

Old 10-01-14, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
A tweet was quoted that windows 7 8 9. Groan.
Took me a minute...not so hot at word games.

Old 10-01-14, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-14, 07:06 PM
I am not too hot at word games either but I think I get it ha! ha! I agree too the number 10 is just a marketing ploy still as I said it doesn't look too bad! There are a few things I don't care for though just by looking at it but then as they say looks are deceptive. Just about ready though to sign up for the preview and I will try it out I think now on an old Dell Latitude D600 I have. I will let you know what I think of it after I have a chance to try it and link any reviews I see.

Old 10-01-14, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Sry I say it has to do with the beatles....

Microsoft is out there... trust me...

Oh the white album was my favorite....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNGwZ81W5Kc

Old 10-01-14, 07:32 PM
Microsoft is (in)famous for the "every other" syndrome. One version of a product line actually adds helpful features, and the next tends to be junk and bugs nobody wanted. XP was good, Vista sucked. 7 is great, 8 has been a disaster. So the question here is, with them going straight to 10, are they skipping the bad version this time?

Old 10-01-14, 09:33 PM
Well lol I wouldn't get too excited about Microsofts new operating system I couldn't get it to start in my virtual machine it said it needed more than 4gb of memory to work. So this is more of a memory hog than any of their other operating systems. If need be I think I can upgrade to more memory but wouldn't do it for an untried operating system. Interesting experiment though and it will be interesting to see what the computer magazines say.

By the way I did say I would use this in my Dell but thought I should try it in my vm first to see what results I had.

Old 10-02-14, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I wonder about market shares, too. Microsoft seems to be down a well with a shovel, trying to dig their way out Did I hear someone say Apple? Technology has grown expotentially since W98, but Microsoft just doesn't seem to get the message. Too artsy fartsy, when people just want plain computing systems. I swap back and forth between my Ipad and PC. Some limitations on each. Can't print from Ipad without Air printer, can't type 100 wpm on Ipad like I can with PC, I don't have to wait through breakfast for an OS to boot, though.

Old 10-02-14, 10:07 AM
I don't think Microsoft cares much about market shares as they have most people bound to their software. Some programs they make for Windows like their Office suite will work on Apple computers and some things will not including some software not written by Microsoft. So they know they have you and you don't have much choice if you absolutely have to use a certain program because of job requirements or functionality.

I think with Windows 8 Microsoft was trying to appeal to the tablet crowd thinking that everyone has to have a tablet and can use it for everything. Well like you said Larry your Ipad can't do everything you want it to do and neither can Windows based tablets. Phones that run on the smaller more compact version of Windows now can't run Flash based videos as Adobe said they were going to stop all support for all tablets and smartphones including Android based phones. Many people didn't care for the touch screen technology either.

Some of that has to deal with age too and people being set in their ways at 55 I am of the age that I like to stay with the familiar things although I don't mind experimenting every once in a while. So Microsoft now knows they have a balancing act with their new operating system. They have a forum set up for feedback so I guess I will try that and give them some feedback on their new os.

Old 10-02-14, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
The idea behind Windows 8, as it has been told to me, was that MS saw the hand-held device market being dominated by Android and Apple and MS wanted in. They figured being able to use the same OS on your PC as your tablet or phone would lead people to buy Windows 8 devices instead of the competing products with different OSs on them.

I actually think Windows 8.1 is a good operating system and prefer it to 7 (I only worked with 8 a short time before 8.1 came out so I didn't have time to form a strong opinion of it) but the user interface is different enough that there was a lot of intimidation and fear of the learning curve; hence the OS backfired on them.

10 now is a bit of a back-pedal on their part to appease those who are unwilling to embrace the change that was 8. I have an MSDN account so I would imagine I'll have 10 spooled up on a virtual machine to play with in the next week or two.

Old 10-02-14, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It would be interesting to see what would happen if they made Windows Pro 2000 code open source. Bet you'd have two or three updated versions available in less then a year. Now back to more likely fantasies like the Martian lady with three...

Old 10-05-14, 06:24 AM
I thought I would give everyone here an update on Windows 10. Believe it or not I was finally able to get Windows 10 to work in a virtual environment. I didn't use Virtual Box though I used VMware Player instead. I also belong to another forum that specializes in just computers and talks about very little else and someone there said they had used VMware Player but that it ran slow. Yes I do believe it does run a bit slow but at least it now works.

So what are my initial thoughts about Windows 10? It isn't too bad it still has some Windows 8 feel to it or what I imagine Windows 8 feels like but isn't too bad. In the start menu you get to see news headlines and still some app tiles on the side. With my evaluation copy I need to sign in with one of my e-mail addresses and you can also get your e-mail on your screen.

With the e-mail it doesn't look like Outlook or Outlook Express it is more like web mail but without any ads so that was a pleasant experience. Another pleasant experience was being able to tell Microsoft what you thought of their new os. I have only now just begun some comments and have been able to read what some other people think too which has been interesting.

Since this hasn't been released yet they don't want screen shots so I can only describe what I see. I will try to make my descriptions as visual as possible but right now I have only scratched the surface and will let you know more as time goes by.

Old 10-05-14, 06:51 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What are you using as the host OS & how much memory did you allocate to the VM? Also, what hardware are you using for the host OS? Is the start menu back?

Old 10-05-14, 07:06 AM
I am using what they call Hyper v which is unsupported and it is actually on my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop. I just used the base memory that VMware suggested and I don't really remember how much that is. The start menu is back but not completely you can't put the computer to sleep you can only shut the computer down or restart it. As for the memory that is really on my laptop that is 4GB and I think VMware does a better job of mimicking more memory being available.

Old 10-05-14, 07:44 AM
Temporarily Suspended
In your previous post, you said that you were using VMware Player. Now you say it's Hyper V. Secondly, how is Hyper V not supported? Isn't that a MS product? Please clarify those points.

Old 10-05-14, 01:19 PM
Be glad to clarify that for you this is my first time ever using VMware Player so describing everything doesn't come as easy to me with VMware Player as it does with Virtual Box as I have used Virtual Box more. VMware Player allows you to select the different OS you want within your virtual machine Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 etc. Well no listing for Windows 10 or Other Windows as Virtual Box calls it so I found a listing for Hyper V and it said Unsupported so that was where Windows 10 would reside in my virtual machine while I test it.

Hyper V could very well be a Microsoft product I don't know I have never heard of it before and to me Hyper V was just a name on a list within the virtual machine that didn't say Windows whatever it was. VMware to my knowledge is in no way affiliated with Microsoft they just supply virtual machines both for commercial use that you pay for and are free. One thing you will notice is that VMware Player will ask you to download some tools before allowing the complete install of the system in your vm and once installed everything works fairly smoothly.

I will not be looking again at the OS for a while about a couple of days from now as I am expecting a huge cabinet to be delivered on Tuesday. I have to move some things in preparation for that but I will be glad to take questions about how I got started. About VMware Player and which player to select as they have a few on their website. I was just lucky enough to get the right one right away. My response though might not be today but I will certainly try.

Old 10-05-14, 07:09 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Ok, so right now, you have windows 10 running in VMware Player on a Windows 7 host?

Old 10-05-14, 08:39 PM
Ok, so right now, you have windows 10 running in VMware Player on a Windows 7 host?
Yes that is correct the host is Windows 7 running inside of VMware Player here is a link to their free player both for windows and linux https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...duct_downloads .

Old 10-06-14, 06:09 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The host is the OS that was on the machine before you installed the VM. For example, I have a Windows 7 machine with VMware Player. Inside VMware is Kali Linux.

Old 10-06-14, 03:51 PM
I wrote that down kind of quick last night so here goes it again the host is Windows 7 and inside of the virtual environment which is being run by VMware Player is Windows 10. If you try it you have to sign up with Microsoft and give them your address and phone number as well as your e-mail address. I just used my AOL address which is one of my non essential e-mail addresses. The link to sign up is on the video.

Old 10-06-14, 08:00 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Turns out, Win10TP is crammed with more spyware than a Google browser. Details here.

Old 10-06-14, 10:26 PM
I am glad you pointed that out Fred_C_Dobbs Microsoft did disclose to me that they would be collecting data. I don't mind that too much as this is inside of my virtual machine and if it wasn't going to be there it would be on an old laptop I have that is a spare I will eventually sell. Once I sell the laptop all traces of Windows 10 will be completely removed. So anything I do inside the VM or maybe on the laptop will just be tests of certain types of software with the system. I know I will not do any banking with Windows 10 especially not with the tech preview.

Old 10-07-14, 06:33 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Is this why Microsoft named it Windows 10?

...Yet no explanation seems to come close to matching that of a self-described Microsoft developer who goes by the name cranbourne on the social news site Reddit. The user points the finger at Microsoft's almost 20-year-old releases that helped make the software maker a household name during the rise of the PC:

Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")) { /* 95 and 98 */ } else {

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

"Having worked on the Windows compatibility team before, I have no difficulty believing this," wrote user richkzad in response. There are in fact examples of this on publicly available code repositories....
IOW, it's to maintain backwards compatibility with (old, decrepit) 3rd-party apps that test to see if the OS is Win95/98.

Old 10-08-14, 07:36 PM
Fred_C_Dobbs I read the article you linked to. I haven't had a chance to look at Windows 10 lately but will probably get back to it soon. I think there is some truth about backwards compatibility as there really has to be but I don't agree that there has been no innovation at all. This more general announcement though that MS has made about Windows 10 gives more people a voice in what they like and what they don't like. Also a comment was made about MS maybe making Windows 10 free I really doubt that as MS wants to make money.

Old 10-09-14, 08:57 AM
Windows Secrets Article

Fairly short article on 10, you might find it interesting:

Why you should join Win10′s tech-preview process

I'd like to try it in one of my old machines but being 14 years old it probably won't work.

Old 10-09-14, 09:51 PM
windows secrets dot com came out with an article today about 10 that you might find interesting. I tried to post the hyperlink earlier but it was a mess for some reason.

I'd like to try it on one of my old machines but being 14 years old I doubt it would fly.

Old 10-10-14, 06:36 AM
I tried your link too Baldwin but it was like someone had went with a marker on the page and just wiped things out. I am not sure when Dell released their Latitude D600 laptops but as I said earlier I would at least like to give it a try. I still have Windows 10 in my virtual machine and I think tonight after I get done with other things I am going to try to load different things on it like a word processor and some of the open source browsers. Everything will be free stuff though that doesn't cost me anything to buy. It should be interesting to see if I can find the downloads.

Old 10-10-14, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
I'm in the process of building my VM right now - Windows is installed but a few other installation tasks remain.

Fortunately, I have access to all kinds of products so I'm going to install Office and the like and see how it all behaves.

Old 10-11-14, 12:06 PM
I have Home and Student Office but my installs are limited to three installs and I have already used two so I didn't want to use my last install on an unknown not yet released Windows 10. I do have Works with Word 2000 and I might try that but thought I would try to install LibreOffice and Firefox. It kind of seemed like Firefox was just a bit slow at first and then behaved normally. LibreOffice installed fine and worked right away without any problems. I also chose LibreOffice because it is a large program to install and I wanted to see how it would behave with a complex install.

I also subjected Windows 10 to a malware scan by SuperAntiSpyware and it came up clean except for tracking cookies and didn't cause any crashes of the system. I think my next thing I would like to try is an install of my printer which I know has drivers for Windows 7 and I would like to see how well it works. My printer I think is about 7 years old take or give a few years so that should be interesting. Years ago I know Windows used to incorporate drivers for certain printers but the question now is will they have the driver incorporated and will the printer even work?

Old 10-12-14, 12:25 PM
Since I am not allowed to post screenshots under the agreement I digitally signed with Microsoft I looked for some pictures of Windows 10 and found an article with pictures. The article itself is not real great but the pictures are not bad here is a link to the article where you can also look at the pictures A closer look at Windows 10 | The Verge

Old 10-12-14, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
My VM is running just fine on 10 - doesn't seem a whole lot different than 8.1 so I don't think there's going to be much of a learning curve for those on 8/8.1 and it is a bit of a throwback to 7 with a modified start menu so those who complained about 8 should be happier.

Old 10-12-14, 07:41 PM
My VM is running just fine on 10 - doesn't seem a whole lot different than 8.1 so I don't think there's going to be much of a learning curve for those on 8/8.1 and it is a bit of a throwback to 7 with a modified start menu so those who complained about 8 should be happier.
I agree Mitch17 it does work like 7 and it seems to have good mouse functionality which I know was a major complaint about Windows 8 and still to some extent with Windows 8.1 which really wasn't much of an improvement.

One thing that I wish they would have with the shutdown is a timer like what is in PCLinuxOs as that would allow people to stop the shutdown before it goes off. That is one thing I don't care for with Windows 7 but the rest of it isn't really all that bad. If anyone who is trying Windows 10 agrees with me please give your comments to Microsoft in the comments box that Windows 10 has. If enough people agree about a particular feature they might want in the final release then they might get what they want.