MS Office2013 Product Key

Old 10-03-14, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MS Office2013 Product Key

When I purchased Office2013 Home & Student I only got a product key (what a shame!) and then I went to MS Office site, signed into my MS account, enter my product key and downloaded the program. I have done this so far 3 times because I changed my new laptops 3 times and all went fine.

I want to sell my office2013 but can I?

How this will work since the key is registered under my name at the MS site?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 01:36 PM
The only way you can legally sell Office is if it still had some installations available and then only if you give up your ownership of Office. If you keep any copies of office on your computer and then sell your license then you are in violation of international copyright laws. Maybe not right away but eventually Microsoft might realize what you have done and then disable all copies of the software you or your customer has. Then if they can locate you they can press charges. Yes you can sell your copy but only under the conditions I outlined for you.

Old 10-04-14, 08:12 PM
I have removed office2013 from my laptop, never made any copies of it and I dont want it anymore. My question is how I can sell it? The product is only available at the MS office site under my name. Perhaps I can log in again and see if there is a place to add a new owner and remove my name.

I find it ridiculous that I paid for a product and now I cant sell it

Thanks for the help hedgeclippers

Old 10-04-14, 09:22 PM
I think Kolias the only thing to do is contact Microsoft as long as the license will let you sell Office and as I said the install part of the license hasn't died. When I received Home and Student Office 2010 for free after doing a survey for Microsoft one of the conditions was I could only place my copy on three computers and only three. If your license was limited to only three devices then no you can't sell it as all three devices activated the license.

If you still have one activation left then Microsoft might allow you to sell your copy but they don't have to and are not legally bound to allow you to sell your copy. Possibly too they might allow you to get a refund since you are dissatisfied but again they are not legally obligated. In other words as the copyright holder they unfortunately hold all of the cards.

If this was a physical copy of Office then you would be holding some of the cards if you still had one activation left and again removed all copies on your computer. I would at least call them and see what they say but don't be too hopeful as usually in a situation like this it will probably be as if this was a store sale with no refunds available.

Old 10-05-14, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
I find it ridiculous that I paid for a product and now I cant sell it
I think software always has some sort of agreement and disclaimer with it that you agree to before you install it, so I guess it's the consequences of not reading first, unfortunately.

Old 10-05-14, 06:20 AM
My office2013 home and student is good for only 1 PC. I will not bother calling MS as reading on the web it sounds a complicated issue and is not worth it. I agree that by installing I'm bound by their agreement but still its not a good deal from the consumers point of view

I had installed LibreOffice in my laptop but after I asked some questions in their forum I learned that LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice is the same program. So I decided to remove LibreOffice and install Apache OpenOffice and although the program looks the same I found the GUI much better and faster. So the Apache is now my Office

I'm surprised that OpenOffice is not known well as the MS Office

Old 10-05-14, 06:37 AM
Part of the reason behind that is that OpenOffice doesn't advertise and neither does LibreOffice. Of the two OpenOffice and LibreOffice only LibreOffice is actually fully supported with updates and patches which make LibreOffice both safer and better than OpenOffice. The company that once supported OpenOffice left and they left the volunteers stranded so most decided to start a new project with the same feel of OpenOffice. I myself have not noticed any slowness with LibreOffice but then everyone's computer is different.

Old 10-05-14, 07:43 AM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
I use all three office suites. And also Google office programs and of course PDF. The biggest problem is that MS is consider the standard to which the others try to emulate. And they come close but not quite. You need to consider the end user of your documents be it spreadsheet or word document. They do not always translate properly from one to the other.

I am use to using MS Office suite 2007, but my workplace uses both Google and Libre Office. So when I must make a document for work I need to use either Libre or Google and that depends on how the doc or spreadsheet will be used at the workplace. When producing home or family or outside work jobs I use MS Word or Excel.

Very often I will start working up an Excel sheet (because I'm better at Excel) then when I'm done will try and re-work it to Libre or Google. The biggest headache is the loss of formatting. Office has so many rich features that get lost in the others.

Old 10-05-14, 11:46 AM
I didn't know that OpenOffice is not supported with updates. I will keep an eye because I do have "check for updates" in my help menu.

And how Google Office compaires to LibreOffice?

Old 10-05-14, 12:00 PM
And how Google Office compaires to LibreOffice?
Lacks formatting to make the spreadsheets pretty.

When I make a spreadsheet I'll just put the very basic info in each cell to make the results work. Then I'll test it. When I'm satisfied then I'll go in and make it pretty and goof proof by locking out formula cells.

On documents it's not as critical and you can usually get the formatting you want.

Old 10-05-14, 01:45 PM
Thanks Norm201, but for now I will stick with OpenOffice

Old 10-05-14, 09:27 PM
Actually I was wrong I thought OpenOffice was dead well almost was dead and not supported as well as it used to be. Here is a small article that explains some of the differences and how each is supported OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice: What’s the Difference and Which Should You Use? .

Old 10-05-14, 09:49 PM
Very interesting aricle headgeclippers, thanks

Old 10-05-14, 10:30 PM
By the way either OpenOffice or LibreOffice can be sold online on e-bay or any other venue. So that means you could put either program on disk and then sell it. I used to see OpenOffice being sold on e-bay and now it is probably LibreOffice. The only thing they want to make sure is that any copies that are made have the license information intact.

Since this is open source you can't really make much money maybe about $7.00 a copy plus postage and OpenOffice never was sold for much. Here is an example of e-bay listings libre office | eBay . I wasn't too far off of the price. Basically you are only providing a service to those who don't have high speed internet yet want this and you get some of your Office money back legally.

Old 10-06-14, 05:44 AM
Hedge, good post.

As you said they are so similar that most won't see and difference. The only people that might see a problem with either one are those like myself that grew up with MS Office suites.

Old 10-06-14, 09:30 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Microsoft Software License Agreement
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013 DESKTOP APPLICATION SOFTWARE

Can I transfer or reassign the software to another user or computer? You may not transfer the software to another user. You may transfer the software directly to a third party only as installed on the licensed computer, with the Certificate of Authenticity label and this agreement. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. You may not retain any copies. You may reassign this software license to a different computer any number of times, but not more than one time every 90 days. If you reassign, that other computer becomes the “licensed computer.” If you retire the licensed computer due to hardware failure, you may reassign the license sooner.

Old 10-06-14, 04:03 PM
All of the above is correct Fred_C_Dobbs but what they don't always tell you except with a copy of the specific software or online for any downloaded copy is that in some cases you are limited in the number of installs. If Kolias sold his software he would have to deal with Microsoft and as it says there he would definitely have to wait 90 days. Sometimes Microsoft will not allow the transfer for various reasons one of which is that a newer version of the software has come out and they don't want people using the old version. The usual reason is because of security concerns.

I personally think it is too much of a hassle to deal with Microsoft myself and think I would give up with them. I probably would have kept Office 2013 though as sometimes people can't read files from the open source software. It depends on how the file is saved which is the main reason for not being able to read a file.

Old 10-06-14, 05:01 PM
In all my life with PC's I never bothered to read the license in anything; waste of time and if you do read you must be a lawyer to understand most of it. In any case I felt since it was for a legal purpose there was no need to worry and never had any issues.

However the recent incident with my office2013 indicates that MS has been too aggressive licensing their software disregarding the rights of the consumer. If I had the time and desire to fight MS in the courts I just cant see any judge taking MS side because their license violates the consumer rights. To my opinion it is like I buy a car and then I'm not allowed to sell it. Anyway this subject for me is closed since I decided to keep office2013 and actually last night I re install it in my laptop (through MS site again) and just let it be there for now because I have no use for it AT ALL.

I love my Apache OpenOffice, it does the same job as my MS Office2002XP, it is fast and so far very reliable

Old 10-06-14, 07:11 PM
I agree Kolias as far as I am concerned the subject is closed and I also agree MS is too rigid in their licensing and can be a pain to deal with. However and this is my last word on the subject I know you don't like Office 2013 now but you might later after you have had some time to think about it. I am also glad you like OpenOffice I myself think I will stay with its cousin LibreOffice as it works for me and saves me money buying an Office product from MS.

Old 10-07-14, 04:57 AM
If I had the time and desire to fight MS in the courts I just cant see any judge taking MS side because their license violates the consumer rights. To my opinion it is like I buy a car and then I'm not allowed to sell it.
The only problem with this statement is that the judge can't change the law. He can only enforce it. Be it fair or not MS has us by the ****'s