Laptop white screen of death?

Old 09-17-14, 11:51 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Laptop white screen of death?

This morning my laptop's video just died. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to what it mighty be before I tear it down? Look at the video.

https://www.multcloud.com/index.jsp#cloudType=oneDrive&tokenId=9e7a4ec386b845a1a07d0b955f0b2f6f&fileId=folder.c4a5870703c56d6f.C4A5870703C56D6F!119

Right click Laptop Fail, download and "open with Windows Media Player"
(Don't know why it's sideways)

Apparently this links does not work. See other post further down.

As I press the start button it clicks and the screen lights up bright white then goes off. Sometimes it stays on as that bright screen. Various key presses do nothing.

What I've done so far: Re-inserted memory, Removed battery and tried with and without battery power. Removed hard drive and re-inserted.

What it is: Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5120
8 GB memory

I suspect the integrated video chip is fried.

Last edited by Norm201; 09-17-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Your link is just taking me to the main page where I'm being asked to sign in or join. I don't see your video.

Old 09-17-14, 12:07 PM
Old 09-17-14, 12:29 PM
Additional information. I don't think the chip is fried as originally thought. Seems like a bad connection to the screen or video. On several attempts the Toshiba splash screen showed for a brief second before turning off. As I turn unit on you can hear a definite click as if it's shutting down. But fan or power supply keeps running. I'm going to try and hook up an external monitor.

Old 09-17-14, 02:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shut down completely. Start the computer & immediately start to tap F8 until you get to the menu. Choose Last Known Good Config. If that doesn't work, start it again, tab F8 & choose VGA mode. Let us know if either of those work.

Old 09-17-14, 04:16 PM
I'm stumped. The computer works perfectly with an external monitor. This afternoon I pulled apart the whole unit thinking the video and/or screen connections were loose. No change, the white screen still appears but the computer works fine. If I was sure it was in fact the screen I could pick one up for about $60 bucks. But I'm not convinced its the screen and not something else. As I tested it out all in pieces I tried jingling the wire connector to the screen hoping it would show a broken wire or something. I called it quits for today and right now it's all sitting on the bench dis-assembled. My future see's a new laptop that I really can't afford right now.

Old 09-17-14, 06:23 PM
H
Norm201 I did some research as I remembered that LED screens have inverters or converters and found out that an inverter or converter going bad could cause the screen flash. I suggest you contact a company that sells the screens and ask their opinion. I really do think it is the screen though and as to the price of the screen I think your estimate may be a bit low unless you get it on e-bay which can be a good or bad experience depending on the dealer.

I did a bit of screen shopping for another member in this post and included a video http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...board-bad.html . I checked the places out and except for Amazon.com they had someone there to answer any questions you might have.

Old 09-17-14, 07:25 PM
Hedge,

I'm thinking you're correct. I just hate to throw good money after bad. Sure it might be the screen but it could be something else. I paid about $270 for this unit. I want to get a tablet so maybe I should put that $60 to $100 towards a 10" tablet instead. It's not that this is my main computer or anything. And today's tablets are just as god as a laptop. I'll need to think long and hard on this one.

Old 09-18-14, 11:45 AM
H
I kind of thought I was too because I had that in my mind and remembered having read that somewhere before but had to confirm it. I am sure there are diagnostic tests you can do but I am not a technician so I can't guide you but I am sure one of those screen sellers can. As for buying a tablet instead of a laptop you might be sorry you do that as it doesn't have a DVD drive and your laptop does. Also there are other things laptops have that tablets don't like card readers. If you are really serious about a tablet then I suggest a convertible laptop that can be turned into a tablet.

Old 09-18-14, 12:13 PM
You make some good points about laps vs tabs. But I don't really need the laptop. It was more of a convenience than necessity. My desktop is in use almost 24/7. I do have a cheap tablet that I use more often than the laptop. Good suggestion about the convertible type. I think ASUS makes a nice one as does Microsoft. But the cost is a factor also. I may be able to sell the current unit for parts.

Old 09-18-14, 05:30 PM
H
I think Dell makes a good convertible laptop and HP too as well as Acer although I don't care for Acer very much so you have a good deal too look at. Of the three I mentioned my favorite is Dell, now Dell isn't perfect either but I like the way they document their laptops and convertibles. If you ever need to repair a Dell they actually tell you how to take it apart, not something I see with other manufacturers. I like Asus though and I am watching Criminal Minds right now on my desktop that I built that has an Asus motherboard so I know they have good products.

Old 09-18-14, 06:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The laptop I am on right now has been nursed back from the brink more times than I care to admit. When it came time for issues with the screen, I changed out the inverter and replaced the actual back light instead of the screen. Possible that you have a bad fluorescent bulb that back lights the LED screen. To test, after you boot and get your flash o flight then bleack screen - Take a strong flash light and hold it close to the screen. If you see the "ghost image" of your home screen then you have a bad back light. Numerous videos are on line to walk you through the replacement. Let us know, mine went bad and I had the "everything ok on the external monitor" thing going. Trial and error lead to the bulb issue.

Old 09-18-14, 10:55 PM
H
I don't know that they actually call it a bulb czizzi but a inverter or a converter and you are right I have heard that they sell those separately but I am not sure where you buy them. Maybe at the same place that sells the screens or they might be able to guide him in where you could buy what Norm201 needs.

I also remember the flashlight trick too and how easy it was from what I read somewhere on the internet. I will check that link out and see if they have what Norm201 needs and even if they don't I advise him to ask them. I will edit my post after I check it out.

Norm201 I checked it out as far as the inverter/converter is concerned and I even saw the word diode for a link I gave for the other laptop and still no luck on either website. One of those sells used screens that have no damage and they claim they give you a three year warranty. I have no experience however with them so I can't help you there. I do suggest you use the contact form of each seller though Norm201 and seeing what they say as I advised before.

I thought I should dig just a bit more and found a seller of inverters but they said for LCD screens and not LED. Even so it will not hurt to contact them and they say they have technicians you can call here is the link http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/T...Inverters.aspx . I wish you luck please post back and let us know how you are doing with your laptop.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 09-18-14 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-19-14, 04:40 AM
Thanks guys for the info.

Cizzzi, my screen goes to white not black, so the flash light idea does not work.

See attached pics.

Hedge, I'll take a look at that web site you mentioned. It may be several days from now since I'm back at the work rotation.

Attachment 38533
Attachment 38532

Old 09-19-14, 05:21 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
According to your video, your screen flashes white and then goes black, check it when it is black and you can see that the computer is working on an external monitor. Then check with the flashlight.

If you see a ghost image, I will dig up the website that sells the mini fluorescent bulbs. The bulbs are about the diameter of a solid bell wire or phone wire. Amazing stuff really.

Here is the link to the inverter on my laptop that I changed out along with my bulb. Al least it gives you a picture of the part you are looking for. This one is 6" long and it was found tucked in the space between the two hinges on the screen side under the LCD. Amazon.com: NEW HP dv6000 dv9000 LCD INVERTER AS0231721C1: Computers & Accessories

Old 09-19-14, 05:29 AM
Don't know how to account for the video flashing then going to black. But now it's comes on solid white and no flickering or flashing. Won't go to black even when shaking or flexing the screen. My biggest challenge now is remembering how to put it back together. The longer I wait the harder it will be. But if I decide to repair it it seems pointless to re-assemble it then take it apart again. Should've taken pics as I took it apart. Thought of it but too lazy to bother at the time.

Old 09-20-14, 04:22 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you say you worked the ribbon that connects the mobo to the screen? If the screen glitches to normal while you're squeezing, straightening, and otherwise moving it, you've ID'd the cause.

Old 09-20-14, 04:00 PM
H
Rick I think you are correct I do remember now having read something about the ribbon causing some problems. It might be true for my old Dell too as I can't turn it on unless I lay the screen on its back. Sorry Norm201 for not mentioning it, it slipped my mind. I am glad we have Rick here to help us out and the ribbon would be a great deal cheaper too I imagine. Sort of like a hard drive ribbon in a way if the computer can't properly communicate it doesn't start.

Old 09-21-14, 07:05 AM
Rick and Hedge....

Yea I tried flexing the ribbon conector but no change. Which seems kind of strange, because on a couple occasions the splash screen showed for a second when I flexed the whole screen while it was assembled. That tells me a bad connection, but I can't seem to duplicate since or while it's in a dis-assembled state. I have not had time to fool with it since my last post. Maybe today if I feel like it.

Old 09-22-14, 07:31 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I know a woman who had the white screen & it was the video card.

Old 09-22-14, 08:51 AM
Since I get video using an external monitor I can safely assume the video card is good. From another computer related forum I got assurance that most likely it's the screen and not the inverter. Checking Amazon and E-bay along with several other sources I can get a new screen for as little as $40. My wife says if I wait till Christmas I can get a combo tablet/laptop. Seems like a no brainier. But it bugs me to know that this can be fixed and not doing it.

Old 09-22-14, 11:06 AM
H
I think on some screens the inverter/converter is built into the screen but I am not sure. E-bay or Amazon.com sounds good but beware as some dealers don't take returns if they give you the wrong screen. I think though if you have checked them out and like the laptop I would go ahead and fix it. It is always good to have a spare in case something happens to your main laptop. Up to you, you know better about what works best for you. I don't think I would junk it though at least not yet and give it some thought for a while.

Old 10-09-14, 02:29 PM
My new laptop screen came in yesterday. Installed today. Works great. Opted for a matte screen instead of glossy. Much better. Also ended up with a few extra screws. It took awhile to figure out how it all went back together.

Old 10-09-14, 07:46 PM
H
Great Norm just out of curiosity how much did it cost and who was the seller? I don't need a screen right now but I always like to keep these things stored away for future reference.

Old 10-09-14, 08:40 PM
I went to E-bay....Seller was Sold by viiwoo. My cost was $54.99. Received it within 5 days.
My reason for choosing this vendor was because the manufacturer was Optronics, They seem to be the major supplier for this screen and it's common to several brands and the part number was an exact match.

Old 10-10-14, 06:45 AM
H
Thanks for the information Norm201 I will keep it in mind should I need a screen. The price was fantastic too and much cheaper. I do tend to stay away from e-bay some as I have had a bad deal or two in the past. I still buy there but not as often, off topic I know but a couple of years ago I found a latch for the middle compartment for a used Impala we bought and it was much cheaper and works fine.

Old 10-10-14, 11:37 AM
I know. Awhile back I purchased the glass only for an outside rear view mirror for GMC van. Advertised as OEM top quality. Not even close. The reflection is wavy and not very crisp. But it cost 1/3 the price. And it passes inspection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: